ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio Renaultsport 200 Cup -NEW

clio rs
Renault Clio Renaultsport 200 Cup

clio_rs_small.jpg

Specifications
Model tested: Renault Clio Renaultsport 200 Cup
Price as tested: £15,570
Insurance group as tested: 15
CO2 emissions as tested: 195g/km
Company car tax %: 27%
EuroNCAP result: *****
Date and place tested: April 2009, Portugal
Road tester: Adrian Hearn

The Clio Renaultsport has been given a spruce-up for 2009 with a face-lift, power boost and aerodynamic tweaks. Adrian Hearn travelled to Portugal to see how the new Cup model, a fine-tuned version of a finely-tuned hot hatch, could cope on the race track.
Fast, engaging, thrilling, safe, fun, sharp and brilliant.
That’s the Renault Clio Renaultsport Cup. And now the French car maker has face-lifted its supermini hot hatch for 2009.
The Cup model is the lighter, more hardcore version of the standard Renaultsport and is designed for everyday use but targeted towards buyers who want some track day action.
Power has been increased from 197bhp to 200bhp with emissions reduced by 4g/km to 195g/km. Zero-60mph stays at 6.9 seconds with the top speed up 2mph to 141mph.
Not much of a change, but as we said, the Clio Renaultsport is already a brilliant car.
The most substantial changes are to the exterior. Renault has heavily changed the front end - the Clio now has a similar face as the Megane.
At the front is an aerodynamic splitter with air intakes to cool the 2-litre engine. The rear features a revised Formula 1-style diffuser which houses the twin exhausts.
The Clio Renaultsport looks the part – and behind the wheel it delivers the goods. It may not feel rapid in a straight-line, but it handled 115mph with exceptional stability.
Braking, courtesy of Brembo callipers, is sharp without putting your face through the windscreen.
But it’s corners where Clio excels. It grips the tarmac without fuss, cruising around corners at pace with stiff suspension limiting bodyroll to an absolute minimum.
Pushed to the limit the car reacts perfectly, never losing its composure. ESP and traction control keep things from getting out of hand.
Combine this with a more than adequate 288-litre boot and five EuroNCAP crash test stars and you’ve got a corking all-round car.
The Clio Renaultsport Cup’s biggest let down is its sub-standard interior. Overall quality is a long way off that of the Ford Fiesta, the supermini benchmark.
Inevitably with a car like this you’re paying for performance rather than a quality interior. And to its credit the Recaro seats are comfortable and supportive.
If you want a bit more luxury, pay £1,000 extra and get the standard model (see below for full specifications). Its suspension is 15 per cent softer than the Cup while riding 7mm higher to give a more comfortable drive.
The Renault Clio Renaultsport 200 Cup is the hot hatch of choice for the purist. It won’t be a soothing drive on Britain’s decaying, pot-holed roads. But it’s worth it for those moments of B-road bliss.
For less than £16,000, few other new cars can rival the Renault Clio Renaultsport 200 Cup driving experience.
Equipment levels
Clio Renaultsport 200 Cup standard equipment includes the following;
• Electric windows
• Six airbags – auto-adaptive driver and passenger, lateral airbags and anti-submarining front seat airbags (the anti-submarining airbags are not fitted to the optional Recaro Renaultsport seats)
• ABS with Electronic Brake Distribution
• Disconnectable ESP stability control
• Rake-adjustable steering column
• Leather steering wheel
• Multi-function trip computer
• 4 x 20W RDS CD MP3 radio with fingertip steering column controls and RCA socket
• 17-inch Renaultsport alloy wheels
• ISOFIX child seat mounting points on outer rear seats
• Thatcham category 2 alarm system
• Drilled aluminium pedal facings
• RAID (Renault Anti Intruder Device) which automatically locks the doors at over 5mph
• Black door mirrors, gloss black finish to the rear diffuser and the centre section of the front bumper
The Clio Renaultsport 200 adds the following equipment:
• Climate control
• Renault Hands Free Keycard
• Reach-adjustable steering column
• Renaultsport leather steering wheel with yellow centre marking
• One-touch electric windows
• Cruise control
• Curtain airbags
• 17” Renaultsport alloy wheels in silver
• Front fog lamps
• Electrically-adjustable and heated door mirrors with gloss black finish
• Automatic headlamps and windscreen wipers
• ‘Soft-touch’ fascia with zinc-coloured matt finish to the centre console
• Body-coloured side mouldings

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
They looked good when i was watching the cup racers on sky

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Getting good reviews it seems! What gets me, is when the 197 came out, the mags were saying it doesnt feel as quick as a 182, lost its edge etc Now the 200 brilliant, best hot hatch..... but it has the same the same performance figures as the 197........? Hows that work then? Fickle is the word i think!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hmmm i'm not sure. The standard non RS cars look shocking, but i need to see one in the flesh. It has some unflattering angles, but so does the 197. Very hard to capture on camera.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just noticed this, wtf is going on here? Why can't the lines just follow on?

untitled.png

It is obviously supposed to be there, but its looks cheap. They havent had to re mould the wing, as its the same shape as the phase1.....

BMW 320d M-Sport
In pic 30 of that Auto Trader slide show, it doesn't have a stereo? No music to go with the fact the front end is fugly and it's got boy racer dustbin exhausts???

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Getting good reviews it seems! What gets me, is when the 197 came out, the mags were saying it doesnt feel as quick as a 182, lost its edge etc Now the 200 brilliant, best hot hatch..... but it has the same the same performance figures as the 197........? Hows that work then? Fickle is the word i think!!
Different power delivery, different steering (quicker rack IIRC), new chassis set-up.

It is obviously supposed to be there, but its looks cheap. They havent had to re mould the wing, as its the same shape as the phase1.....
Yeah that's what I meant, why did they intentionally make it like that? Lol, bleedin French! Thought they were supposed to be good at design...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Different power delivery, different steering (quicker rack IIRC), new chassis set-up.

Indeed, but

Torque stays the same, at 159lb ft, but peak twist and power are both produced 150rpm earlier than before

is hardly life changing. Think i'll test one. Obviously i cant remember what standard ride is like :eek:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Indeed, but

is hardly life changing. Think i'll test one. Obviously i cant remember what standard ride is like :eek:
Maybe Reanult have managed to make an engine that produces book power. I imagine I'm driving an RS155

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
starting to grow on me tbh few mods and i think they will be mint

DCi 100
The picture of the black one someone posted recently looked really nice, but that green one in the youtube link :dead: