ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 197 - a waste of time?

Get your head out of the sand mate, its a far superior car to a 172! So what if its no faster? There is more to a car than straight line acceleration (though you wouldn't think so if you read ClioSport!!). It handles better, stops better and is far better built.

I bet it does'nt stop any quicker than a 182.
The 172 cup is faster round a track than the 5 year newer car,so how is that better handling

All i can agree on is the build quality.

Other than that jon your wrong

I guarantee you the clio f1 will outbreak mini, 182 and 172 from 70-100 mph --- it is incredible.

172, Tiguan
The 197 has big 4 pot Brembos, Its stops very well indeed.

Drive one Ian, you'll see how the handling is better....

The only thing that is crap is the steering, which I still can't get used to! :)

172, Tiguan
Also the R27 has done an 8:35 btg unofficially, a time which a 1*2 could only dream off in standard spec.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I admit i havent driven one and the reports are that it is a vast improvement over the old one.
I just quoted a few figures from EVO thats all

Oh and i would love one in black if i had to pick

Mini Cooper S sport
I'd have an R27, definitely! I always did think 197s looked the nuts, and better in the metal than they look in pictures.

I just wished they'd made them a bit quicker to 60..

cup 182 mit stripes
The only thing that is crap is the steering, which I still can't get used to! :)[/quote]

What about the crap gearing that makes it rev out while still in the power band?

The only thing that is crap is the steering, which I still can't get used to! :)

What about the crap gearing that makes it rev out while still in the power band?[/QUOTE]

The feedback through the steering wheel on the R27 is a lot better than the standard 197, well at least the early (I drove one when it first got released in September '06) ones - The Cup pack has certainly improved the car. Drive one you'll see what I mean.

Mini Cooper S sport
That wasn't your opinion when it was first shown, I remember you on top saying how whack it was lol! ;)

I didn't like it until I actually saw one and sat in it at at Goodwood :)

I don't think I've ever used the word 'whack' to describe anything in my life ;)

That wasn't your opinion when it was first shown, I remember you on top saying how whack it was lol! ;)

I didn't like it until I actually saw one and sat in it at at Goodwood :)

I don't think I've ever used the word 'whack' to describe anything in my life ;)

:rasp: I've already made you admit you didn't like it at first :rasp:

Sure as night follows day, you'll admit the word whack was used hehe ;) :rasp: lol

Only kidding, hows the chins!

172, Tiguan

What about the crap gearing that makes it rev out while still in the power band?[/quote]

You missed the bit about them changing the gear ratios then?

Mini Cooper S sport
:rasp: I've already made you admit you didn't like it at first :rasp:

Sure as night follows day, you'll admit the word whack was used hehe ;) :rasp: lol

Only kidding, hows the chins!

They're cute thanks :) - by the way I'd just like to clarify that when you say "I remember you on top" you're referring to another forum!!!

Actually it's Nik that usually follows Day ;)

(sorry for mini hi-jack)

cup 182 mit stripes
You missed the bit about them changing the gear ratios then?[/quote]

Have they changed the ratios of first, second and third?

B

Brown.

if i had to downgrade ad go for another 182, not a 197 i wasnt impressed with the test drive i took. hope the cup is better

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I was really impressed with the R27 I took around Brands.

At pace everything made sense, the steering weighted up, and feedback was more than adequate - enough so that in the pouring rain I reckon I was 2-3 seconds a lap quicker than I was in my Cup.

Very confidence inspiring.

I the dry it would be much much closer though.

I now own a 197 after a 172, 16V, Williams and various other Clios - some of you may remember me from the past!

The 197 is a more mature hot hatch than most, but that doesn't mean it's less hardcore than its predecessors. If anything, the most striking aptitude of the 197 is to go from civilised around-town hatch to all-out hot hatch at the driver's whim. In this way, it reminds me most of my old 16V.

Of course, the improvements are there too: no rattles, better perceived build, more space, outstanding handling etc. Granted, the spec is lower than the later 172 and 182, but xenons, climate and 6CD were very much bonuses in my book - I prefer a set of Brembos and proper wide arches at the rear (hark back to the 16V and Williams again). Renault will almost certainly up the basic spec as they did with the Mk2 RenaultSport Clios over time: the Ph1 172 was comparatively low spec and cost £16k new and the 16V was almost £14k by the time of its demise.

These forums have a tendency to critically question all new variants - like we all did with the 172, 182 and Cups. Time will be kind to the 197 as it has been to all hot Clios that have come before.

Scirocco GT 210
Lots of people going on about this new gearing - the gearing hasn't been changed that much! So don't go expecting a miraculous change. :S

6th gear in the 197 still isn't (quite) as long as 5th in the 182. Still going to be poor on the motorway. At least it's an improvement though.

Just need to sort out that steering now and it's pretty much spot on (assuming its build quality really has improved).

cup 182 mit stripes
No, the problem I found with the 197 was that when giving it full welly through the gears [ 1st 2nd 3rd] it reved out while still seeming to be in power band. Unlike the mk 2's, and very annoying. Or did you have a salesman with you and were scared to give it some?

Clio 197 (in black)
Le Clio 197 c'est magnifique!

In English...

Good for pootling around town... Very easy to drive, especially easy to park. Perhaps a little too loose at low speeds but nice and firm at higher speeds. You can feel the steering become firmer as you push the car. Free revving engine with that lovely (flickering) change indicator. Really surges ahead when you hit 5.5k rpm... and as you change up through the gears the revs only drop 2k rpm again... so the speed builds and builds quickly. 0-62 IS quick - just the one gear change to get there. Then there's the four pot Brembos. Fabulous stopping ability.

Great seats - even the standard ones - arguably more comfortable than the Recaros...

I like the gimmicks - start/stop button... xenons... cornering lights... folding mirrors... rear privacy glass...

... and it's surprisingly well built for a Renault... (though mine has developed a slight rattle by the near side door - something for Renault to check out when the service is due)

Few cars deliver as much as the 197 in terms of sheer B-Road Blasting enjoyment.

In my eyes, it looks THE NUTS. It's a head-turner - at traffic lights, in car parks, along the high street - it gets admiring glances...

Ok. Well, I like it.

172, Tiguan
No, the problem I found with the 197 was that when giving it full welly through the gears [ 1st 2nd 3rd] it reved out while still seeming to be in power band. Unlike the mk 2's, and very annoying. Or did you have a salesman with you and were scared to give it some?

I didn't find this a problem - I don't usually drive everywhere in 1st and 2nd? 3rd was fine and 4th, 5th and 6th are close enough to keep it on the power. Funnily i've found this on my Dad's 197, my best mates 197 R27, the three I've driven on RS trackdays and the other two I've driven on the road as well. A friend has them as customer demos, he is a Renault salesman.

The Jinx
How does a car "rev out" whilst still in the power band. This statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Congratulations on Ben H for making the most coherent, obvious and sensible statement probably in the past 5 years on CS. Everything he said is bang on the money.

I didn't find this a problem - I don't usually drive everywhere in 1st and 2nd? 3rd was fine and 4th, 5th and 6th are close enough to keep it on the power. Funnily i've found this on my Dad's 197, my best mates 197 R27, the three I've driven on RS trackdays and the other two I've driven on the road as well. A friend has them as customer demos, he is a Renault salesman.

I wish my dad had a 197! :(

cup 182 mit stripes
In my cup I like to give it the welly in low gears, just for the hell of it, because the power runs out before the limmiter is reached I'm in the next gear up so there is no problem. In the 197 I found it bounces off the limmiter while still in the pursuit of 182 type fun and thrills.

Is that simple enough for you, Mervin and Lego Racer?

The Jinx
What's the limit? Valvers can be the same but once you're used to it you find it actually starts to dropp off the power a shade before the limit.

cup 182 mit stripes
In the context of my observation on 197 gear ratio shortcomings, your question was neither applicable nor relevant.

The Jinx
You said it "revs out." After explaining that you mean it still feels like it has more power to come but the limiter cuts in. Ergo the level at which the rev limit is set is entirely relevant. You could do two things to improve it y'see:

1: Up the rev limit;
2: Fit different ratios to give more speed when that limits cuts in in whatever gear.

cup 182 mit stripes
Aye, you could do these things. A bit drastic on a brand new motor though. Can you get a re-map that also ups the limit, for it yet?

I now own a 197 after a 172, 16V, Williams and various other Clios - some of you may remember me from the past!

The 197 is a more mature hot hatch than most, but that doesn't mean it's less hardcore than its predecessors. If anything, the most striking aptitude of the 197 is to go from civilised around-town hatch to all-out hot hatch at the driver's whim. In this way, it reminds me most of my old 16V.

Of course, the improvements are there too: no rattles, better perceived build, more space, outstanding handling etc. Granted, the spec is lower than the later 172 and 182, but xenons, climate and 6CD were very much bonuses in my book - I prefer a set of Brembos and proper wide arches at the rear (hark back to the 16V and Williams again). Renault will almost certainly up the basic spec as they did with the Mk2 RenaultSport Clios over time: the Ph1 172 was comparatively low spec and cost £16k new and the 16V was almost £14k by the time of its demise.

These forums have a tendency to critically question all new variants - like we all did with the 172, 182 and Cups. Time will be kind to the 197 as it has been to all hot Clios that have come before.

This man speaks sense. Especially at the bit about it becoming an all out hot-hatch on command. Out on a B-road it comes alive and I believe the people who say it's not as exciting to drive as a 1*2 haven't driven one for a good length of time without a salesman beside them.