ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Bora.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Talking to the guys on E38. Should be fine. Just needs to be PROPERLY tight this time LOL. Air Gun ftw.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You're going to drive that with one bolt thats been airgunned on???

What if you stretch the thread and it shears under load? Eh?? What then Jason, WHAT THEN????

In all seriousness, replace the strut. Its not worth the risk. I know you're a bit of a weirdo but I don't like threads that start ''CS member is in hospital''.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
You're going to drive that with one bolt thats been airgunned on???

What if you stretch the thread and it shears under load? Eh?? What then Jason, WHAT THEN????

In all seriousness, replace the strut. Its not worth the risk. I know you're a bit of a weirdo but I don't like threads that start ''CS member is in hospital''.

Well I've been told to airgun it in to get it tight.

But maybe I should just use a giant breaker bar? I can't just "replace the strut" tbh. It's only a flimsy bit of metal that I can bend with my hand thats bent lol! I will just bend it back and tighten it properly. Surely thats not a problem?

EDIT: these are the replies on E38.

"I'd strip it, bend the metal back where its supposed to be, the bolt should have been ok if you tightend# it tight enough. I used to use airgun then 1/2inch ratchet on them.

has it slipped down further into the hub? difficult to see whats actually happened "

"it will be sound just dog it up real good this time "

"easy enough to bend i would think.

*Edit. Kudos on driveshaft scrapeage. lol "

"impact gun the flip out of it, that will tighten it up "

"remove the bolt, clean the thread up with a dye then tight up with a battle rattle gun or air gun. "

The only thing thats gone is that little bit you see bent. If its bent back and tight it wont fall through again. I take it you've looked under a MK4 platform before? Otherwise what I'm saying will be confusing haha.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm confused now...

(I don't know a great deal about VW suspension mind you!)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Originally, it sits in a stupidly tight hub and that bolt tightens it in.

the coils are slightly thinner struts than standard. So you need to tighten it more, I failed massively thinking it was tight as f**k but was actually rusty. Too much weight was supported on that piece of metal you see bent out, which the bolt also goes through. It's held in with one tight as f**k bolt standard, it wasn't tight enough!

http://noahlh.com/car/coilover_howto/

On this guide there's some info to make it clearer! It's confusing as f**k.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
won't it be weakened though, jaso?
what if it's weakened! it will just bend again, no?
Or does tightening it cure that?

The bending in theory will have weakend it. But it's not really strong in the first place, the main thing is that it's tight as feck. That's why this has happened in the first place! :(

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
not sarcasm mate, i dunno, not seen them do that before, is that how they bolt at the base?

the bolt goes through it, but the main support is that hub and it has to be stupidly tight. The bit of metal that's bent isnt that strong, its more of a guide so you put the strut in the right amount I think.

According to a guy at VW it should be fine if I bend it back and tighten it really well. New bolt is recommended though!

Ahhh, so the hub being tightened is what actually holds the strut....
I was assuming it was like a Renault, where you just whack two bolts through two holes and it's safe as houses...
Should be OK then tbf!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i am surprised people are getting funny about this, its completely obvious that the small piece that is bent doesn't do that much (ie hold the strut), its too obviously small and thin to do anything

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah but they are used to renaults where that is structurally integral!

Just want my baby back on the road <3.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yup! Hopefully will be sorted for wednesday.

Back to the car. Loving the hate my mate's are giving the Roofrack. LOL!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Two rust rings on the Driveshaft.

Tore up some road.

Sump damage.

Other damage relating to being lowered.

Yeah about 5. LOL

Turbos.
Just shows for me that you can't have a car like that as a daily, on UK roads. I couldn't be dealing with fixing the car every week.

Can you replace parts to make them less prone to damage? Would a sump guard be much use, or would you just rip it off?

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Just shows for me that you can't have a car like that as a daily, on UK roads. I couldn't be dealing with fixing the car every week.

Can you replace parts to make them less prone to damage? Would a sump guard be much use, or would you just rip it off?

Sump guard should have already been on there

Suspension should have been fitted properly

they can be driven daily.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Only just seen this! From my past experience I'd feel really uneasy driving that with just the same strut tightened really tight! As you say, coilovers are thinner than standard VW suspension (which are an absolute b**ch to remove and re-insert without a crowbar!) so they need proper tightening.

If it's slipped out the bottom, I don't think I'd be confident that I could get it tight enough so that it can support that corner's weight. The grip is tight, but that tight?

Mk4 diesel sumps are annoyingly low. A shallow GWerks item should be a definite purchase! As well as some drop links / ARB removal to save that driveshaft!

Lionel Richie
4765624772_cddcd7b6bf_b.jpg

WTF??

^ i thought that (and i dont even know what a spanner is)

you are abit of a clown, thats a given, but regardless of what 'da kewl kidz' say on vw world or whatever, dont bodge that back together lad...

i mean eventually when you have some wheels on there and some decent touches it will be a cool little car, but for now all you do is damage it, put ducks on the back and take photos. and i dont mean to be a cnut saying that as i'm a firm believer in 'live n let live'

i mean no1 can tell you what to do and yeh it fun, but i'd rather check back on this in two months when its got some slick wheels and not read on the news that you are dead or you crash the car due to bolting a suspension component together that gets more stress on it than you can fathom...

Last edited:
  Audi A3
not sure if it was picked up on but when doing it back up insted of just airgunning it and wishing for the best, find the torque figure for it and use a torque wrench to tighten it up properly

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
They look gammon no matter what you do to them...

Thats broken shock is scary...Not so fussed about you're satety its everyone else on the road i'm worried about.

BMW E46 330i Touring
isn't that bracket meant to be inside the hub?

Yes, yes it is. The slither of metal slips inside the back of the bracket to keep it in line and the little notch should be where the bolt is fed through.

With that out, I can't think of anything that stops the suspension from rotating within the cup...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Torque rating is irrelivant as the coils are slightly thinner. So it needs to be tighter. Most people tighten it to f**k and have no problems. Was my fail tbh. Its not really dangerous as its been like that for a day and a half of driving and it just squeeks on the driveshaft FLOL

Haven't driven it since I found out though. Its sitting on axle stands until I have time to fix it properly. Its not bodging it back togethor either! Its just doing it how it should have been done in the first place. *sigh* it looks a lot worse than it is if you don't know about the MK4 platform or haven't worked on the suspension.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Okay, update time. Other posts were from the Blackberry so excuse the hurriedness of them.

Finished work at 8pm, got home 10 mins later. Haven't stopped on the car since then and, well it's pretty much fixed.

Using a combination of K-Rust, wire brush, wire wool and wd40 the bolt threads are like new and the whole thing has been tightened to about 60nm. I probably don't NEED a new bolt, but tomorrow I'm taking a trip to the VW Stealers to be anally raped for one. Just a peace of mind thing, although my Dad's mechanic friend who happens to be here tonight says it's absolutely fine.

So that's that sorted. I tested it down a quiet bumpy road and the only thing that I could hear was the familiar sound of driveshaft on Chassis.

@ Some of the earlier comments. The ARB HAS been removed, if MOT guy gets funny about it (It's 50/50 whether they pull you up on it) I'll shove an R32 one in there on longer droplinks..

I respect your opinion Naith, don't worry about offending me there's been harsher stuff said! Some tidy wheels will be on it next month time. I don't earn that much money and I don't like spending it ALL on my car, tend to keep a bit back. So I'll get some wheels next month. Then I will only do little bits here and there, next big thing after wheels will be a leather interior (probably off a GTI, there's a cream one that will be coming out of someone I know's Golf soon).

So that's about it for now. Much love x