ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Clio Mk2 fault finding dashboard trick

Theres a simple diagnostics built into the Mk2 Clio's

To access this, with the igition off press and keep hold of the button at the end of the stalk and turn the ignition on. ALl the dashboard warning lights will come on and the speedo and rev counter will go through a predefined sequene.
When your doing this though (you can let go of the button at the end of the stalk) ever time you press the stalk button the digital readout will show information (listed belew) each time you press the button some more information will show.

All the lights lit (shows if you have a failed LED).

The amount of fuel left in the tank in liters.

Fuel flow (the engine has to be running. This is in liters per hour

Stored faults
t mean an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds
J means a fault has been noted on the fuel gauge. It must have disconnected for longer than 100 seconds. The resistance from the fuel tank sensor needs to be between 5 and 350 Ohms.
d means an injection signal fault has been detected
h means an oil level sensor fault has been detected. Resistance from the sensor should be between 6 and 20 Ohms. Any reading over 20Ohms is an open cicuit anything under 3 is a short circuit.

If no faults are logged then dashes will show fixed dashes.
Press the reset button to clear the logged faults. Other faults arn't shown on the display.

Audi RS4
Cool.Just done this,I'm using 2.3 litres per hour!
Sounded lik an aircraft prep...ding ding ding.Wierd seeing the needles having a dance too,I will show my little man tomorrow he will love it!lol.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
on 1.2 mk2 ph1's, you hold the trip meter reset button instead. It tells you nothing, except make the needles dance... lol

Megane Mk4
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
sounds like a cool trick ... will try it later to see if it works on the 182 too

:D

Yep it works on the 182 too ... Its a pity they didnt use they chime on the dashboard test for the audiable alarm when the lights are on and you open a door.
:D

Clio 172 Phase 2
mine is showing the h, what do i have to do to fix it? does that mean my oil reading is faulty, seems ok to me?

Silver 172 PhII
haribo8 said:
mine is showing the h, what do i have to do to fix it? does that mean my oil reading is faulty, seems ok to me?
I've not only got an 'h' but a 't' too! Is my car about to blow up or something? I only did the test to check something which I thought was wrong - the bulb for the power steering warning has gone...

Clio 172 Phase 2
don't know, haven't had any responses from anyone, guess no one knows about it, except for the person who first posted this thread....anyone one out there can help??!!!

haribo8 - Its means theres a fult check ou oil level manually the sensor has registered a fault maybe its just a one off and if you press the reset button then it might nver show again then again it might mean you need a new sensor or the wires fixing on the ones you've got otherwise err well no huge problem other than the electronic oil reading will be wrong and the car will never warn you of a low oil level and you'll have to check you oil manually as the car won't tell you (as it should) of the oil level being low.

SimonD - No idea what the problem is though it could be any of a multitude of things what car do you drive and being that its French wiring it migh just be a bad connection on a sensor.

mine shows a t ----

one thing i noticed.. the gear shift light is ORANGE (like a warning) yet when you actually hit it in gear its GREEN (like an indication) ??

Danlp6 said:
My shift light doesnt come up at all :(
Either you don't have one or the bulbs/electrics have gone.
Its no huge problem though I've learned to change gear just by the engine noise.

Press the trip milage reset button instead (in the middle of the dash at the bottom).
I cannot remember if I've tried this with my mates car which doesn't have a trip computer though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just made mine do it had to hold the trip milage reset button for longer than i did with my mums trip computer button so thats why i didnt manage to do it earlyer.

it showed a letter K on the screen?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine was showing a " t " So i pressed the reset button for the comp and it cleared it . Reran the test and the " t " had vanished . Mine was fluctuating between 0.8 and 1.1 litres and hour when idling . Anybody else tried resetting the comp . Might just have been on " old " fault stored . Would love to see more results form other people .

MrBillyUK !

Martin_89 There is no K its a H error but the display doesn't show it very well.

MRBILLYUK - It sin't a huge diadnostic and any serious erros cannot be cleared so you won't get any more powe. Also any issues are logged in one of two points on the ECU (one of the erro locations can be cleared with some of the aftermanrket system but the second cannot be cleared with anyhting but a Renault computer.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Does anybody know if there is a fault finder for the mk2 172 . I used to have a gunson fault finder for my pug 306 s16 , could read all the fault codes and reset the ecu . Anybody ever seen one for the 172 ?

MrBillyUK !

Mazda MX5 1.8
i dont get how ur suposed to have the engine running and do this?

do u just hold the button in and twist as normal?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
MightyClio said:
whats a good figure for litres per hour?
Mine was fluctuating between 0.8 and 1.1 when it was idling .What was urs ?
Anybody else got some figures they would like to add ?

MrBillyUK !

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
how do you find out the litres per hour on a car with no trip computer, when i press the milage reset button when its in test mode or what ever it stops and goes back to normal.