ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The ClioSport stare...

Clio 182
I know it's a total different scene but my dads had a few classics in his time and when he's out in his MGA almost every old boy on the road gives him a toot or a flash etc. It's a nice thing in theory but there's too many clios on the road to make it worth while bothering I think! Most people would just think we're sado's because we have a "chaved up Clio with stupid exhausts"

Correct! I had a mk2 golf and every old school dub owner waved at me or flashed etc. These days the sport badge is on so many cars to the untrained enthusiast we probably just look like any other Clio on the road. Nobody on a bus is going to say ooo that's strange it's not a cup but he has a cup spoiler but no splitter?

Yozza'd RB cup
Parking next to non-sports! haha I have to admit this is something I actively do! A guy I work with has a clio 'sport' 1.4 RSI or something I go out my way to park next to him! lol

mx5 & 172
A pretty high percentage of mk1 mx5 owners wave so I got very used to waving in that - you have to be a bit of an enthusiast to drive one every day and as a rule the owners don't take themselves too seriously.

I don't expect it in the clio though, too normal

Evo 8 MR
I overtook an artic 182 (I think) on the way to TRAX on Sunday morning and then I moved back to the left in front of him and I got a flash, that made me think maybe he was on cs, no idea though.

I only wave/flash if I know the person (as in met and spoken to them at a meet at least) , I do wonder if some 1*2's I see are on here though.

Fiesta ST-3
In my old car I once waved to someone coming the other way in town. He turned up next to me a few minutes later thinking I did the finger.... Haha the joys of Wales!

Renault Sport Clio 182
i had this at the kfc drive thru the other day, but it seems all the time i say hi, i allways get a strange look or response.

even when we had a south central breakfast run, we met up at a tesco's early morning and across the road a few of us topped up with fuel, i said hi to this lad and said will see you over the road, he replied yeah sure mate, then drove off in the other direction never to be seen again, so i gave up from that moment on.

Listerine & Poledo
A pretty high percentage of mk1 mx5 owners wave so I got very used to waving in that - you have to be a bit of an enthusiast to drive one every day and as a rule the owners don't take themselves too seriously.

I don't expect it in the clio though, too normal

Yep, MX-5 owners are seemingly more "communal" than Clio onwers. But an MX-5 is a sports car in all its guises wheras a Clio can be a shopping trolley, a hot hatch, or a shopping trolley with money wasted on it to try and make it look like a hot hatch.

You always get thumbs / waves / flashes from '5 owners when it's roof down weather (i.e. not raining)... provided they're not a miserale middle-aged blonde woman with a face like a slapped arse.

I've never seen a CS member on the road, ever. Mind, I dont pay too much attention to small stickers on cars when there's a road full of traffic to keep me busy.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'll give a 1*2 a quick flash, only if they are young or have a CS sticker though :p

Ageist much lol

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
I've been stared at before by other sport owners. Pretty freaky.

I'll take a quick glance at the usual areas for a cliosport.net sticker but if I don't see one I'll just drive on.

Black Clio GT
i always have a look for tell tale signs like exhaust/lowered suspension/stickerseven if im in the works van, i get stupid looks when i let on in that though lol

V6 255
I always notice others and decide on what type of driver it is as to what, if any, action is taken

Though the puzzler is when you see someone and they notice you noticing them noticing you and look away nervously. What's up with you? Just smile, nod appreciately nod or something. We (mostly)*** have these cars because we care what we drive and have a bit of knowledge about what they are. Don't be a social r****d

***apart from rich old folk who walk into the dealership and ask for the best Clio, I doubt they know what they really have

Discounted 1*2 parts
I tend to look at other clio sports and they generally look back. i don't normally wave or flash unless i know of them. sometimes give a nod of the head.

Used to have a scooby and everyone waved at each other

172DD Cup
perhaps half the problem is you don't know it's a sport until you're too close to nod, so you just stare. i get/give the unintentional stare whenever i see a sport. i've never seen a v6 though, bit sad about that.

I tend to stare tbh. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I dont wave because .... the Online Groceries delivery drivers from all the supermarkets (tescos, waitrose, ocado & sainsburys) tend to wave at each other. lol I ignore it if I can.. it feels like a "I'm waving at you because I've got a s**t job and you have too. Lets be friends!"

I tried to flash somebody across the road the other day and left my lights on full beam. Cue 2 miles of me following them before I realised I had the main beam on .. they must've thought WTF is this idiot up to. Thats why I dont flash.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When I had my Land Rover Defender, EVERYONE with a defender waved.

First time I drove it I had no idea what was going on! Seeing as I work near a lot of farms, there was lots of waving to be done! lol.

I tend to stare tbh. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I dont wave because .... the Online Groceries delivery drivers from all the supermarkets (tescos, waitrose, ocado & sainsburys) tend to wave at each other. lol I ignore it if I can.. it feels like a "I'm waving at you because I've got a s**t job and you have too. Lets be friends!"

I tried to flash somebody across the road the other day and left my lights on full beam. Cue 2 miles of me following them before I realised I had the main beam on .. they must've thought WTF is this idiot up to. Thats why I dont flash.

I lol'd 2 times at you. Well done.

Mini Cooper S sport
I look at people in RS Clios, and sometimes see them looking back haha. I rarely see RS Megs, but have had a wave a couple of times.

When I had the RB 182 I pulled up behind another RB 182 at a roundabout once and flashed him. He ignored me, b*****d :(

Renault Sport Clio 182
i saw a V6 the other day on M25 was beside him for ayyyyyges and i think the driver done everything humanly possible to not look at me lol.

RS Clio Trophy
Not sure if anyone else has noticed but every time I see a Clio sport owner we end up staring at the cars asif to say I know you've got a CS, You know i've got a CS but I don't know you from Adam so always in 2 minds if I should flash or not and end up just staring until you get closer then pretending you havnt looked :cool:

Happend to me a few times, even if you see a slightly modified non sport you get the stare...

Anyone else do this or just me? Probably just me :rolleyes:
ha! i have done this before:)

I found myself doing 'the stare' at a 182 this morning on the way to work.... giggled to myself when i remembered this thread being here :D

clio 172/Fabia vRS
I still Stare at clio 1*2's. Even since I've been driving my oil burning czech monster truck (fabia vrs). I think it's seasonal. Cruising around last summer I used to wave and be waved at. Spending an hour on the M5 every day and nothing.