ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Dark Knight.... Progress Thread

well its been a while, gave up on the car over xmas and new year, it was/is a horrible feeling but with times being hard there was little i could do, bar pootle around in the KA.

The cars a big part of me so after giving my head a big wobble I set about sorting her out today.

I've long wanted to alter the induction setup on the car, did some measurements and tests a while ago to see if a phase1 172 airbox would fit, and it does. although it require no battery there, luckily I've also wanted the battery relocated to the rear for a while. Riads said to use the airbox from his car whilst its sat there so that'll get 'stolen' this week.

today I set about stripping all the gubbins out ready for battery cable, I thought it would be expensive but I managed to sell my race battery to a friend running an M3 race car, with the money from that I bought a clio battery in. shocked me at the clio batterys weight, weighs nigh on the same weight as the race battery, I'm also going to use the base plate/battery tray from the megane to sit the clio battery in. As you can see below bar the engine, ECU and gearbox there is little there, excuse my biscuit tin which is not empty anymore!

Salford-20120227-00833.jpg

can also see the space which is there for what I've detailed below.

Salford-20120227-00836.jpg

I managed to sort a deal for some cabling too, although its quite heavy so re-assess that this week. In the enginebay the airbox will connect to the turbo intake pipe via a 90 degree aluminium pipe.. whilst the ECU will sit flat, its lay in no-mans land in the pic above.

turb_aluminiumpipe_90degree.jpg

a little will get cut from the pipe to make the bend, the leftover will then be the connector for the aluminium pipe to the airbox. still with me?

ITG have recently bought out a megane kit after development (weirdly enough to which they were in 3 months contact with me 2 years ago, which included me offering time and effort to help them) but hey ho. Its good that gains have been shown, shows that the meg airbox is SO restrictive. You can rip the front of it off but the cars butchered enough, wanna try and do things properly now.

finished off today by opening up the bulkhead gap so that the cabling can fit through ok, its alot bigger than the hole you see when I pull the rubber to the side.

Salford-20120227-00835.jpg

And because I'm a kn0b I forgot to take a pic of the new battery in its new position on its plate.

Still need matt and alex over to switch over the chassis/axle clamps with me, I'd have done it already but the bleeding cold snap the other week put a stop to that.

So sort that, get poobah over to solder in my resistors in to the rear seatbelt void, buy some new lights as i sold my HIDs on and wait on my OZ F1s to come back from the powder coaters where they are sat now then wrapping them in some Continental sport contact5's I've picked up, purchase some some droplinks on their way too as they arent too expensive either.

Then its full geo and another map to see in summer/lemans :D if i can afford it i'll also order some larger injectors, not paying certain tuners prices when direct the are near on half the price ;)

Excuse the chod pics and currently turd car, she'll be back, I promise...

Last edited:

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I was thinking of you today (non sexual for once). When I first visited in 08 and you took us to nandos at the Trafford. The dark knight was struggling for grip, tyres worn, and the fuel light was on. I remember thinking that she'll never last... How wrong I was. Proud to say it too.

Hope you get it sorted dude.

Petrol Blue 182.
what engines in this now naith? wasnt it a mixture at Lemans last year? (Veil Satis head etc?) will it be making an appearance this year?

Good to see things progressing :)

I've got some 630cc injectors that need fitting to my R26.

let me know if you dont end up bothering to fit them mate.

still got the velsatis head on yeh, its the same head they fitted to the megane but this one is one that got run to buggery at dieppe as a test head, i mean come on when do i do things normal?! ran fine in LM and afterwards so no need to change, unless a 250 lump shows up. Its going to Lemas with no stickers or decals this year. i want it to look pure.

I've made some mistakes, lost loads of money and opportunities in life because of it, but hey ho, wouldn't have it any other way.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
let me know if you dont end up bothering to fit them mate.

still got the velsatis head on yeh, its the same head they fitted to the megane but this one is one that got run to buggery at dieppe as a test head, i mean come on when do i do things normal?! ran fine in LM and afterwards so no need to change, unless a 250 lump shows up. Its going to Lemas with no stickers or decals this year. i want it to look pure.

I've made some mistakes, lost loads of money and opportunities in life because of it, but hey ho, wouldn't have it any other way.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Lotus Elise
Great progress Naith, cant wait for the F1's to go on, decided on a colour yet? Everytime I read this thread I want to see everything I own and buy an R26.R just to pwnt you ;)

Its going to Lemas with no stickers or decals this year. i want it to look pure.

Im sorry. What?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Good progress mate!

Think the 182's going very soon. Had a few offers. :dapprove: So fair play for sticking with yours because I know EXACTLY how you feel.

On the plus side, I might be running in the 200 for LM.

Moonlight Blue 225
FFS! This makes me want to do stuff to mine, but i must save for LM.

Tis coming along nicely though!

Last edited:
i saw chris, gutted if im honest but not as if you've ordered a bad replacement is it!

You don't need a junction box for the wiring do ya? I've got one in the garage you can have

can you fb/pm me some pics over mate, very good chance i will need one, i stupidly didn't even consider that :eek:

320d
Nice to see you starting your Le Mans preparation a little earlier this year Naith ;)

Nice to see TDK getting some updates. The airbox and solid pipe will look cool and should be a better setup.

Think the threads due an update, this ones not got much pics as I have just bought an iphone after losing 2 years of video and pictures on my blackberry for no reason. hatred wasnt the word for that phone, anyhoo.. this might take a while, i dont even know if i can be arsed updating anymore... i'll see how this goes down

Just spent an hour writing this for photobucket to delete it all too so to say i'm pissed off is an understatement. This is the last time i'll post with photobucket, flickr from now on..

cars been off the road since september, about 3weeks ago after building up parts all winter I decided to have a go at fixing her.

Parts, progress and mods over last few weeks..

* 18" OZ F1s fitted after being powdercoated satin black, rears shod in 235 ContiSport SP3s.
* New smaller front plate from FancyPlates fitted.
* Rear plastic mouldings sanded and sprayed.
* Battery moved from bay to behind pass seat, Negi feed run to chassis point and posi created with a BMW E46 M3 cable, clio battery used.
* In car TC switch toggle binned and replaced with 2 LED switches
* F1 style rear LED foglight fitted under 3rd rear brakelight, not for road use and totally for my personal enjoyment.
* Studs and nut conversion done to front hubs, marked and set in.
* Bought a ScangaugeII
* The HIDs are removed as they were illegal and frankly looked pap, replaced with E marked 55w Xenon bulbs which give a much more refined and crisper light.
* All interior bits missing bolts and flapping have been sorted.
* Enginebay dressed and all crap cleared from it, along with metals polished, slightly corroded metals painted matt black and earths set on chassis.

Progress to make in next two weeks..

* This saturday the car goes in for MOT, the wiring to the rear seatbelts has been soldered with resistors to kill the fault on the dash.
* Sat will also see the rear chassis plates taken off to be replaced with new ones, 99% sure this is whats causing the rear to step under left turning and at high speed.
* Badges to be recovered and vinyls replaced.
* Droplinks (all 4) and the track rod ends will be getting replaced saturday.
* Sideskirts sealed to the underside of the car to remove gaps and stop water ingress.
* Rear studs and nuts to go on.
* Current gauges to be taken out and scangaugeII fitted.
* Mapping as its 'rich as fcuk' at the moment and I cannot afford another engine rebuild.
* Find a front archliner as i gave mine to my brother and haven't bought another.
* Cover all the exposed metal in regards to the battery.
* Pick up driverside window regulator from p@blo.

SO pissed i've just lost a big writeup, so sorry if it seems half arsed, to be honest I dont know if i'll keep the thread going, see how the reaction is. Massive thanks to Christopher, Bifcaids, AlexC, Sofaboy and James Bryan for the help yesterday and to Mr Tom Doyle who has been there to watch over me and double check everything i've done so far. Sam@BTM for the studs and nut work too.

If anyone is arsed I can get r kid to take some high res quality shots..

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-4.jpg

IMG-20120514-00103.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Lotus Elise
Sweet beans Naith, paint the rain light bracket black IMO much neater. Looking forward to seeing it after the detail and the rear stud conversion.