ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Dark Knight.... Progress Thread

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Im still considering f1's for mine... But i cant go black on black...

Swap cars naith? ^.^

Well... i'll update the last month or so. It might be disjointed and vague as my heads still mashed from it all but I'll give it a go.

Before Lemans I got the car all ready engine, battery and lookswise. Obviously we managed to sort the rear out and fit the frankly briliant contisport SC3s...

I took the meg to BTM for new trackrod ends, inner steering arms and droplinks to see if it would straighten her up. fred did the work to his usual standard whilst I continued with the decals for france.

As soon as i was driving back home I realised something was far from right. It was ok leaving the workshop but the car would wiggle when turning left, and step, to the extent it was almost undrivable. Obviously it needed tracking as wheel was out too, so I put it down to that.

Got home and booked into sheltons in manchester for the tracking, wasn't really impressed tbh. he did it but (as i later found) the levels were off and he left me with no printouts or info. horrible feeing when your in a garage and you dont feel welcome. Although whilst there I found out the meg has 2.5 deg of camber driverside with 0.5 pass side, It cant be dialled out either due to lack of top mount options.

I left there, drove through trafford park and it gradually got worse again. Meganes have shown a trait with age, the bearing and hubs go. alot of the time the bearing can be regreased, but handling all the power is a tough one for the megs hubs so they tend to go... it may not be the hubs thats failed I thought but I looked into it, and thought it would be a process of elimination effort and managed to source a whole hub from p@blo along with a topmount if the camber issue is related to that and not the hub..

I didnt have time to fit the hub, drove to bham the night before the ferry and dumped the car at freds house, I was distraught, the car was a mess and I would just get in with a mate to travel down to france. Fred took the car out and tested it. Ive never seen someone else really drive the car, so to see and hear it was pretty cool. His reply was something like "its drivable that, just dont nail it, it'll defo get you there and back though''... he then proceded to nail it down some country roads quicker than I had been down the motorway, yeh it'll go to france....

Next morning i stopped off at protyre in warwick. they noticed that sheltons had not done a good job as levels were all over. the lad there sorted the car bar the camber, the rear beam sits really well too, got it to toe out at 0.2 after sheltons had about .5 difference across the front.

Whilst fitting the hunter laser bits to the car though i noticed the lad had damaged two of my alloys, I havent contacted the since, However I feel like i should, i was just so stressed about getting to france i let it go at the time...

Left protyre, would probably miss the ferry, and the car now runs.... Worse. I just had to laugh, I practically got back on the motorway and the thing was horrible. the steering was still at 2 o clock and when turning left the ESP light would flash, sat thinking about it that makes me think its the hub even more as the sensor is in there but I may be wrong.

I basically got my head down, literally tightened my wrists and cracked on. The ferry from Dover left at 12.05, I was 101 miles away at 11am.

I made it. Pulled up to park at dover ferry port dressed as lance armstrong then got made to sit in a police van. The breath test came back at 0, the officers told me to enjoy france and drive a little more slowly to which I apologised, tail between my legs and had a bag of doritos.

"We've had reports of rallyesque driving through dover, we didnt get a proper description only its a multicoloured car with 83 on the side... it could be you we think. Regardless its not right and you should slow down" will stick with me till the day I die! haha...

And yes I was in the wrong and it wont happen again before anyone gets 20p put in them and tries to shout at me.

7403644740_5132b647ab.jpg

The Journey to France-3 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

7403644016_dc260a20f5.jpg

The Journey to France-4 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

All the lads were dressed up as we set sale, got to calais and cracked on, in convoy at about 70mph the car was ok, constant pull on the steering and waving about under right turns but you kind of get used to it and live with it. Some of the LM lads are really good to convoy with, we stopped about 3 times on the waydown, i massaged my wrists and we basically cracked on.

7403640688_65375a2694.jpg

The Journey to France-9 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

7403640130_41b76fedf1.jpg

The Journey to France-10 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

7403638446_fddc51bcbb.jpg

Race yah? by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

I didnt clean the car once all weekend which is weird for me (i was too engrossed in the race and atmos), the feedback with the thing was just fantastic though, I even laughed at some kn0b at the PH meet telling his friend 'i dont know why he's ruined it, i have a cup and the setup is perfect from factory' RIGHT MATE.

7403700288_04146129ba.jpg

Mad Friday-24 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

Mad Friday.... was as good as ever, the french police were alot more relaxed this year. Did the odd burn out, drove the mulsanna again and met up with the PH lads for abit and parked the car till the sunday night, when due to a fcukup on others behalf I had to drive 5 hours to calais sunday night getting there at 3am, then to manchester from dover getting in at 11am after driving from 6.30pm the previous day none stop. but hey ho...

7403695164_cabfe9476d.jpg

Mad Friday-30 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

7403693956_e5d0032cdb.jpg

Mad Friday-32 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

7403837152_3825196c13.jpg

LeMans 24 Hr-18 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

7536727346_641c18746e.jpg

The old girl on the Mulsanne straight by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

The MPG for the journey was very good tbh sitting at 29 thats with motorway and obviously the blasting about during mad friday, the engine sang. Obviously it rides horribly at the moment but the car did not miss a beat, was literally perfect. Its developed a lovely pop and bang on downshift blipping too that was no end of fun.

Cars going into a friends garage this week to once and for all see whats up with it. We'll pull the front off and strip back to the hub, set the dampers up to a basic level. I've practically done a nickson and replaced everything. 2 new front tyres have been ordered and fingers crossed its not the steering column and is the hub as I have the full assembly sat here waiting to go on.

July has seen the A pillars go to Alcantara Austin (pics when they arrive tomorrow), rear floor carpet totally cut out, scangaugeII fitted in dash. front intakes piped up, one OEM xenon projector sourced (now to find the other)

August will see track (anglesey im thinking), more additions to the cage and hopefully I can sort a blooming nice bucket out, will need new disks too as they have done a good ol' slog. And of course new mapping, that will be done as soon as the car drives straight.

The quest for a normal day with it goes on...

oh and thanks to those who helped me as always, you know who you are. x

Last edited by a moderator:
  Inferno 225 cup
New exhaust sound naith. Steve ( a16pse ) or r26.r will be questioning that, Along with a few others.

Great car naith and love the decals you put on, ball ache to take off?

The ph1 front end looks so much more aggressive!

New exhaust sound naith. Steve ( a16pse ) or r26.r will be questioning that, Along with a few others.

Great car naith and love the decals you put on, ball ache to take off?

The ph1 front end looks so much more aggressive!

The exhaust has sounded like this for years, steve asked me for advice about ten times on MS how to do it, most on there see him as the original as they are new users, I was doing this in 2007. ;) only messing but yeh its good because day to day its not intrusive at all.

decals were horrible coming off, car still has a few lines on it where they were but ironX will sort that.

oh forgot to say some t**t banged my drivers door during the last few weeks, i'd be fuming but that wont pul the dint out. £35 and a dent guy will..

Inferno 225 cup
Yeah I heard he and others was sending late night pm's asking how you did it ;)

Really? Some people really don't care or respect anything of there own so they definitely don't care about others.

Really miss my meg :(

Keep up the good work mate.

AG 200 cup
Hope you get it all sorted mate, got to say I did laugh abit when I saw the police van pull up next to you in Dover. And the drive back on the Sunday was some what of an experience.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Love how creative you are with the decals, seem to get better year on year :)

The part with the police made me laugh, good going to make the ferry.

I hope you get the Meg driving right soon.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That's Riad mate, Naith's Brother.

I'll be at Nick's later Naith... see you there if you're still about? Will be 5pm ish.

weird, was just sat here with nick looking at the thread and it updates. i'll wait around for you mate yeh!

ads, he's a little bigger now, then again so am I...(ego).

shall i get this sabelt wheel? ;)

Mate, the car looks, sounds and goes so well, there is no point in selling it or not getting it fixed. What would you do? Sell it and start again? Have a word.

Get the hub sorted, be happy again. Done.

No I've been sizing the various types up, I need it to bypass the rear dampers and mate to the floor quite far under.

Nearly bought a lotus S1 one the otherday but the dimensions were just off. main points will be seeing if I am going to totally remove boot floor and actually using the diffuser as a boot floor or raising the back which I'll doubt I'll do. got some shops of designs. mashing the rear bumper up is going to be painful!

Hubs getting done sunday, fingers crossed, knowing my luck the other will corrode like saurons tower when the currently buggered one is getting fixed.

I want to go full flat but need to have a long look at the car underneath. i can build the front flat to the dash with just a renault undertray. the middle would be a vortex of crap then though. it wont just be for aesthetics eitherway, if its shite i'll pull it off. these things are so light at the back anyway.

M135i and the shed
I want to go full flat but need to have a long look at the car underneath. i can build the front flat to the dash with just a renault undertray. the middle would be a vortex of crap then though. it wont just be for aesthetics eitherway, if its s**te i'll pull it off. these things are so light at the back anyway.

How do you reckon you'll do it around the rear beam? Just miss a short section out across the width of the car for the beam to move within?

i'd want it sitting flush with the rear beam or covering it, theres mounting holes on it too but hell it moves about so that would be no use. something i got to look into though.

the golf looks mega phil. interesting about underhood temps and issues, NACA duct galore would be my retort to that!

Last edited:
For the last 3 winters I've not used the car and its just well, wasted. This year I am being different (scary how cheap trackdays are in dec/jan).

The car was suffering from the above problems (for the lazy ones it was basically uncontrollable!) I was at a loose end but p@blo came to the rescue and sold me a new hub, I was about to update when ready to fit...

My mate tom had the car up on his ramp and noticed that the lower arm bolt connecting to the hub was bloody finger tight....!

hubnut.jpg

I'd already wasted 100 on the cars tracking at this point, P@blo said he'd be happy to take the hub back and I could have a pair of driveshafts off him instead as a straight swap... So all the issues over the year and the trouble in LeMans was due to a loose bolt, thats life hey! Scary to think if that had gone though, well I dont know what would have happened but not thinking about it, Tom has said he'll check the car over after track, long runs so i know its safe hands if not being tinkered with at BTM.

Basically bar a few nuts and bolts the only bit that needs sorting on the car. Bought myself a Scangauge 2 that sits where the clocks used to be, seeing realtime figures of what she's upto is great, due to this i've binned the analogue gauges off, water temps, inlets, boost, volts, RPM, the list goes on.

21115440073_large.jpg

Got some bits off the engine back from the powder coaters, waiting on some more as soon as they arrive I'll post it up.

8122779658_65215560b2_z.jpg

RS Meg powder coated parts by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

I've replaced the front tyres and now I'm just waiting on fitting the shafts in a week or so. Cant track/align the car till then so its not 100 but took it out this sunday as Riad was doing some filming and wanted to involve it.

Its a funny old thing how everything feels better when your car is good/repaired. Think its a
petrol head thing but bar all the s**t I'm going through at the moment I was like a kid again.

Just needs the shafts on now, mapping and a forge actuator. Oh and finally within the month I 'should' have projector bulbs in the front, wanted them since I bought the heap!!! Also had my A-Pillars done by Alcantara Austin, fantastic work, subtle and a must really if you want a cleaner/classier view forward, highly recommended.

Obviously I took it around trafford Park for a spirited jaunt. That corner entry... <3

8122720100_55a6d47cd0_z.jpg

TDK OCT TP by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

So yeh, she wont rot over the winter, the way the seasons are now we dont tend to have a winter nor summer so as long as she's water tight and trickle charged it'll be reete.

Oh and I've asked for a sabelt wheel for my birthday.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Doesnt that bolt coming loose usually mean the bearing is on its way out?

Still loving this car, just looks mean as f**k with the stance it has!