ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Qashcow
Re: No Compromise ph1 ITB build (Fastcar, BTM, TDF, RS Fab) - ITB update p77

You even got given a free gland on NYE by yours truely ;)

Looks good though, 2nd cars ftw

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member

Yes thats just a gland we use at work on electrical motors got loads of them, you could also just use a rubber grommit , but leave it with nothing and you will soon have an earth fault

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

are you going to keep the original boot lock or use pins?

No pins will be used here, I still want it to look nice and clean,

I think you have been looking on our car Mr Bone.;)
You need too get that battery cable out and drill it bigger,then put one of those funny grommets in,they come in two pieces or your going to be in big trouble.

liquid-tight-nylon-cable-glands-br-straight-through-threaded-425229.jpg

Found it at last.
liquid-tight-nylon-cable-glands-br-straight-through-threaded-425229.jpg

You even got given a free gland on NYE by yours truely ;)
Looks good though, 2nd cars ftw

i do have a bung for it so it will be water-tight, but that was at home, will only get removed before paint anyways...!

Yep I thought I posted that...
But in all fairness you weren't all to know I was talking about a gland when I said a bung.

Qashcow

Ah fair enough, I assumed you meant one of those shitty rubber things from halfords

Are you working on it again today? I'm kind of glad I can have a weekend off from worrying about mine now

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Ah fair enough, I assumed you meant one of those shitty rubber things from halfords
Are you working on it again today? I'm kind of glad I can have a weekend off from worrying about mine now

not directly worked on it today, but have been doing something related, pics uploading now. will update in a minute.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

so my windows were removed a few weeks ago

this was so
1) of all i could grind stuff without worrying about them,
2) so it will be easier to paint and
3) because i am putting polycarbonate windows back in.

shortly after the windows were removed i took them to Tony at ACW Motorsport Plastics, proper nice chap that helped me no end, really enjoyed sorting this with him. He even come down after making the first set of windows (first mark 2 set he's made) to check the fitment was 100%. So a few weeks later (i told him i wasn't in a rush) and today i went and collected my items from him, not that i ever doubted him but the quality is amazing, the windows look brilliant, even the edges are polished (like glass) not rough as you would expect from cut polycarbonate, the attention to detail is second to none.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0568-1.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0567-1.jpg

I have used 2 different types of polycarbonate for my windows, Lexan and Marguard, the marguard does exactly what it says on the tin and is a higher spec polycarbonate that is treated so it shouldn't scratch, perfect (as in the application above) for your front windows with sliders. Other things to note on my set are the front sliders (with 4 holes rather than 1, great for security) and the rear air pods, these can pop out/spin round to catch the air, which is then directed into the car. 4 should be enough (2 each side)

As you may be able to see from here the rears do not come with the black boarder however ACW Motorsport Plastics do sell a boarder set for you to apply yourself (i have literally just done this, its very easy), see below....
start with rear window...

IMG_0572.jpg

Making sure i was working on the inside of both rear windows i pulled back the inside film and taped it back so it didn't / couldn't fold back over. Once this was done i then taped the inside line were i wanted to paint the black edging up to, after looking at the standard windows i decided this was about an inch all the way round, i very carefully taped this on both windows and even got some nice curves in the corners.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575-1.jpg

IMG_0576-1.jpg

So with both windows marked up and ready for the black edging i got the kit (supplied by ACW Motorsport) and got to it, the stuff goes on nice and thick and is very simple to apply

IMG_0578-1.jpg

IMG_0579-1.jpg

so with both done i am letting them dry, they should only take 10 minutes but i am giving them a fair while just to make sure. very happy with the outcome and can't wait to get them onto the car, however that will be a while as the car needs painting and other bits done yet....ho hum, better get my ass in gear.

if anybody is interested in these windows please see this thread - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...count-(NOT-A-GROUP-BUY)&p=7474907#post7474907
it states the details of a Permanent discount that Tony at ACW Motorsport Plastics is willing to provide for members of Cliosport.

CLIO PH1 172

Wow very nice, they look top dollor

Why do you need vents in the rear windows though??

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Why do you need vents in the rear windows though??

they are like this:

vent.jpg

the image doesn't show it very well, but once the air passes into that little vent the plastic bends around and points back the same direction it has come, so with these vents pointing forwards air will go in and then be forced back towards the 2 front seats....

Has Naomi moved out yet?

mate this is of little inconvenience compared to what she has been up to lately...lol small table for 1 evening doing windows, she has had a mahooooosive table taking up most of the kitchen for 2 weeks....lol
i haven't moved out yet...lol

Qashcow

They look f**king mint. That is all

BMW E46 330i Touring

Lol, I like it! "I'm doing this in here so you can't hog the space with all your work s**t...". Tactical.

Evo 5 RS

Was going to leave my rear q glass in to spray but the rubbers are such a *unt to get the tape under. Probably going to grab a set of the polys off your new mate tbh save putting them back in lol.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Was going to leave my rear q glass in to spray but the rubbers are such a *unt to get the tape under. Probably going to grab a set of the polys off your new mate tbh save putting them back in lol.

sounds like a plan, let me know when / if you do, got some tips for doing the enameling round the edges

Evo 5 RS

cheers dude, think I'll be giving them a buzz on Friday to order

DCI100 / 211hp MK1

they are like this:

vent.jpg

the image doesn't show it very well, but once the air passes into that little vent the plastic bends around and points back the same direction it has come, so with these vents pointing forwards air will go in and then be forced back towards the 2 front seats....

mate this is of little inconvenience compared to what she has been up to lately...lol small table for 1 evening doing windows, she has had a mahooooosive table taking up most of the kitchen for 2 weeks....lol
i haven't moved out yet...lol

This may sound a bit stupid but will these vents let water in when it rains? Other than that absolutely stunning job you are doin mate.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

This may sound a bit stupid but will these vents let water in when it rains? Other than that absolutely stunning job you are doin mate.

nope they will not leak, they can pop in and out, so when it rains i pop them in and they sit flush...
you can twist them anyway also

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

they are just on the spare bed at home, its rubbish...lol
got to wait to put them in though

DCI100 / 211hp MK1

Cheers for clarifying. I dont know if they will be overkill on a daily........... im still keeping the OE front windows (Well make them manual) and just want to get the quarters and rear screen. They do look like a cool extra though. If you dont mind me asking how much extra was it to have them pop outs put in?

Evo 5 RS

I'm taking my rear glass out to spray the car, and it's not the easiest thing to put back in - so thought why not. It'll only be the rear quarters for me though. I'd imagine the only adverse affect would be a bit more road noise

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers for clarifying. I dont know if they will be overkill on a daily........... im still keeping the OE front windows (Well make them manual) and just want to get the quarters and rear screen. They do look like a cool extra though. If you dont mind me asking how much extra was it to have them pop outs put in?

Check there website, they have all the extras with costings on there.

I'm taking my rear glass out to spray the car, and it's not the easiest thing to put back in - so thought why not. It'll only be the rear quarters for me though. I'd imagine the only adverse affect would be a bit more road noise

Possibly, although they will be bonded in again so not even sure if that will be an issue

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

So i am back down to work on the car again tomorrow, i am almost 100% sure there is no more to cut out, this leaves just metalwork (welding etc) and then prep for paint for the interior so i will probably move over to other little jobs, fitting new brake pads with new fluid also, will possibly make up the templates for the carbon pieces (floor panels, firewall blank etc).

Tbh i don't know what i will end up doing, but hopefully i will be able to fill a whole day with work, will post progress tomorrow evening.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

so another full day's (i say full, i was there all day...) work on the car.
Got down there and got the car moved around into the main unit, however wasn't going to rush anything today. it was really nice and quiet so we worked through things slowly, my mate got his caddy van in first so we worked on that drilling new holes in the rear shackles to drop the bag end some more...then we moved onto the clio.

As my mate was nice and chilled out and decided not to get any business jobs into the workshop i managed to convince him to do some welding, so we cracked on with that...
first up was the rear end, any of the holes in the floorpan that didn't need to be there were welded over, they will be ground back nice and flat,

next up was to finish off the seat subframes, i got some box section the other day for the rear outside foot so all we needed to do was cut them to shape and weld them up, 15mins late and 2 subframes done, i want some rubber or something to space part of the frame to the car but unsure where to get something right from... possibly an ice hockey puck will do the job....hmmm

IMG_0582-1.jpg

IMG_0584-1.jpg

with the inside of the car done we just had the front end to work on. if you are following the thread you will know a few weeks back i cut a large section out of the front cross-member, this was then shaped and today welded....POW

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591-1.jpg

and last but by no means least i wanted to weld my towing eye in, it doesn't need to be able to be taken in and out so we would just weld it in, the other reason for this was that i had been supplied some kind of special one so the strap was attached to an eyebolt and not a bolt through piece of metal like others, the thread was too small for the standard tow-hook hole so welding in was the only option... well we did this and whilst doing so the eyebolt got so hot it melted the towstrap...lol

so i cam up with this from my old schroth harness clips and a few old bolts.... i may keep the clip or i may just get a bigger bolt and go straight through the eyebolt....we will see.

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593-1.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596-1.jpg

oh and before i forget...for Tony, and the rest of the crew.... see i did have one...nah nah ne nah nah...

IMG_0583.jpg

Qashcow

I recognise that!!

Good bit of progress, I don't like welding car stuff, more accustomed to box section gate posts

TrackCar & F30 330d

Good work, I really like the windows. Can't wait to buy mine and gutt my doors.

So when do you thing it'll be ready to drive, I was aiming for the Combe action day but don't think that's gona happen :(

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i was hoping april,
but i still need suspension, once i have that i will be on it.... i would prefer to get the suspension on before paint but i don't think it will happen at this rate...

i have all the other suspension bits, ie, Whiteline, Powerflex bushes but want to do it all together, was thinking having the subframe done (like yourself crispy) and if so i will get the arb done also....
i have put alot into it so won't be rushing it...

Evo 5 RS

Neily Weily, anything I need to know before calling Tony?

Evo 5 RS

POW INDEED. Just the standard spec without the marguard. No need for it on the rears as he pointed out they don't really get touched all that much

I hadn't realised the vent was something you'd requested, I just went without. Cheerz bone

Ollie's Silver Cup

Liking the windows and the 4 holes for the vent. They look very good.

I wouldn't mind a set for the rear on mine, but not sure if it would be worth doing the rears alone.