ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Flamers replacement - Mini Cooper S

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yup.

Unless the ep3 has kpro or better than the norm mods you will get bored. Same with the Megane.

Have we crossed a Leon cupra off the list?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
See I've always really fancied a Leon but then absolutely everyone who has ever had one says fast but dull.
Tbh it doesn't even need to be a particularly fast car but it's gotta be fun and if it's slow its gotta be cheap to run!

The potentials list before buying this included RX8s, Imprezas, 306 rallye, mx5, mr2 etc etc. But I keep going back to the fact the Clio does everything I want it to do! If (when) I get another I think it has to be either a 172 cup, ff 182 or trophy.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I can see why you bought the mini out of that list tbh. Depending on initial budget?

Id say the Leon would be a good shout tbh. People absolutely love the ep3 and Megane in standard guise,I wasn't a massive fan. Good cars but lacked something.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Standard for standard the 1*2 vs EP3 is very very similar in performance and handling.

For your £ the performance you can get from an EP3 is far better than what you can get from a 1*2 and with similar spent on handling mods they are both pretty much the same in that department.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed mate. But at johns budget he will be very lucky to get a sorted car from the off. Like the mini

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
John, did u not drive one before you bought it? I've never driven one, but you can tell if a car is for you or not very quickly. I'd stick with a Clio.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah but only for a mile to make sure it was in good nick.

Think I'll get looking for a Clio tbh, that's what I want so f**k trying to change for the sake of it. If it does what I want then why not. If the right civic, Leon or whatever else comes up then I'll have a look.
Got another car coming soon as a runabout so time isn't of the essence.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Just to let you know mate when I was test driving cars before my Mini purchase, I also test drove an EP3 CTR and a Mk5 Golf GTI. The Civic looks the bomb but tbh I didn't like the high revving power delivery... it felt slow, like there was really nothing to it 😧 the gear shift however was sublime and it did handle well. For me at the time, the Mini just felt like the all round better package; I honestly do prefer the supercharger. Have to consider my driving is literally a 7 mile round trip to work each day and that's about it! I now live with the missus so don't have the drive to her house, and due to an eye condition I can't drive at night, so I don't need something where the power only comes in right at the end.

Oh and the Golf? Fantastic, loved it! Basically, I just couldn't get the seller to move on the price enough or I would have had that (to be fair it was before I had even driven the other two) all the other Golfs around had mega mileage that were in my price range. I might get one after the Mini though!

Peugeot 308
At least you've realised now before sinking more cash into it.

I couldn't get along with the EP3 I had a few years back, it was a pre-facelift and just pissed me off most of the time unless caning its arse. It may have been a poor example, yet low down in the rev range it felt as lackluster as my missus's 1.6 Clio.. Granted, up top it fizzed along.. but It did get tiresome.

Having said that, I'd have liked to have tried a facelift until recently, where boost has become a necessity for me now.

I have fond memories of my old LCR, practical, brisk for standard.. handling was numb, but that could have been changed. With a drilled airbox, on boost it sounded like Darth Vader 😅😅

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Kayzee and Daz, thanks good to know, I always think I'd quite like the vtec characteristics but its the steering that really puts me off them. I'd much rather have a car that I can really feel whats happening than one that is only good up the straights. Boost just doesn't bother me for my car much. Love it for the family mobile because I think boost on the road is superb, but for fast drives and track days NA is my preference.

A pretty firm £3000 Dan, I'd happily take a trophy without the tarty bits! Having a look at whats around just now in the clio world and not much is appealing. It either has to be cheap enough or already modded but most of the good ones seem to be 2k and standard which means a fair investment in one to get up to spec.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah cool ok mate. Well if I spot anything will give you a shout. May be worth sticking a wanted thread up?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Think I've seen that on eBay. Have you or are you going to soon put your mini up for sale? Should sell easily I would have thought

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So just did a quick experiment to see how it would sound with the stealth IK fitted. God that whine is annoying. Like really properly irritating. f**k it, boot is going to get fitted, the back seats put back in and its getting sold.
lol. If you dont like the whine, just get rid of it, it will only get louder as you f**k about with it 😂
For example:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I seem to be the only person who hates them tbf so my opinion isn't necessarily to be listened to! EP3 is a strong contender, I'd quite like a decent shot of 1 before buying but I don't know anyone with one anymore! The 225 is out, been there done that, probably still paying that credit card back!
you're not alone, i don't 'get' the whole mini thing either. That said, I don't hate them like you do! Lol

They're cheaper than a Clio to get power out of and the driving position is better, but other than that the Clio (IMO) is better in every aspect.

I hate the mini gearbox too. It's slow and heavy.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't listen to the vid just now since I'm in work.

Agreed Daniel, that's the only good things. And even then the steering wheel is too far away for my weird body!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
why did you sell your clio and buy this? so much confusion

He thought the brown, manky looking grass on the other side of the fence might be really green if he went and stood on it.

Pretty much. Clio got to the point where it needed a lot spent on it that I can't currently justify. This is (was to be) funded by selling all the Clio s**t that I own.
So many people rave about them I thought it was worth a bash.