ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Impreza picture and discussion thread

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Mates impreza parked next to my corrado;

13054840303_25c56ae380_z.jpg

Rado & scoob by cobzy1, on Flickr

Thankfully after a lot of back and forth it has been repaired properly so good as new, just can't wait to drive it again as the TTS courtesy is dull as dishwater.

Won this on ebay, want to get the engine sorted and the wheels. Can see my bank account depleting already!
$_12.jpg

$_12.jpg

$_12.jpg

$_12.jpg

Insurance is 1k for 22 y/o which I didnt think was too bad considering its an import.

It was less than £1500? With a years mot and some tax.

95 Import WRX
TD05 turbo
Decat 3" back
HKS mushroom filter
Z4 ecu

That means nothing to me though I'm a Vdub man?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
In fact just done a quick search. The td05 turbo and z4 ecu is standard on your car. Most people get the cars mapped running a decat.

Guy I bought it off said a walbro 255? pump and remap will help it. It apparently has no lambda sensor because of the decat? I knew it was going to cost me money when I got it but not overly bothered tbh.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
You say your not bothered now but these things can be money puts mate, I've owned four and have been fairly lucky, but they can cost. Try and get it somewhere local to you and get it checked over, make sure it's fuelling right etc. Not trying to piss on your chips, just friendly advice.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Im still tempted to decat mine without mapping. The guys who's gonna fit it even said he'd swap it back for free if I didn't notice any improvement..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
My first impreza I had years ago I messed around with exhausts etc without mapping etc. that car needed to go to a fuel type aa meeting.

Every car I buy is a money pit, I just like modding and tinkering :). Fully trained mechanic so know my way round stuff and have access to ramps and diagnostic equipment at the last place I worked.

Havent picked it up yet, just paid a deposit and sorted the insurance. Ive had conflicting info, can classics be remapped or do you have to buy an ecu from a better model that will make it run better? Somebody suggested a 6k ecu for the decat exhaust. Glad for any advice fella im a novice on jap stuff.

172/B8 Quattro
Havent picked it up yet, just paid a deposit and sorted the insurance. Ive had conflicting info, can classics be remapped or do you have to buy an ecu from a better model that will make it run better? Somebody suggested a 6k ecu for the decat exhaust. Glad for any advice fella im a novice on jap stuff.
Afaik if it's Pre 99/00 you need piggy back, esl is the one to go for if future modding.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar

The 6K is from a MY95/96 STI and would be an upgrade but IMO the power increase wouldn't warrant the cost over a Z4. The only way a pre '99 classic can be remapped is, with either a standalone ecu or an ESL mappable board with the latter being the cheapest option.
Ive run a few classic Imprezas with a decat and a stock ecu and so have many others. The issue with this is over boost and hitting fuel cut but it does seem hit or miss because it doesn't affect all cars. In the past ive fitted a Dawes Device(MBC) to cap the boost before fuel cut but there are various "chips" available which will plug into the stock ECU via a socket soldered into the ecu which raises fuel cut as well as increasing boost and tweaking fueling/timing...Some pre '96 ecu's already have a socket although the Z4 does not. Subaru and Prodrive themselves used a chip in a few different early JECS ecu's.

Some people frown at CHIPS but back in the early 2000's the Scoobyecu(chip) was the only real way of "Tuning" the pre 96 Impreza unless going stand alone, with the then ecu of choice the Apexi Power FC. TBH there are only a couple of chips id trust and that's Scott Tailors Polar Performance chip or the ESL non mappable board, IMO they do work with basic mods up until the point where you start changing turbos and injectors.

impreza wagon S2000
The 6K is from a MY95/96 STI and would be an upgrade but IMO the power increase wouldn't warrant the cost over a Z4. The only way a pre '99 classic can be remapped is, with either a standalone ecu or an ESL mappable board with the latter being the cheapest option.
Ive run a few classic Imprezas with a decat and a stock ecu and so have many others. The issue with this is over boost and hitting fuel cut but it does seem hit or miss because it doesn't affect all cars. In the past ive fitted a Dawes Device(MBC) to cap the boost before fuel cut but there are various "chips" available which will plug into the stock ECU via a socket soldered into the ecu which raises fuel cut as well as increasing boost and tweaking fueling/timing...Some pre '96 ecu's already have a socket although the Z4 does not. Subaru and Prodrive themselves used a chip in a few different early JECS ecu's.

Some people frown at CHIPS but back in the early 2000's the Scoobyecu(chip) was the only real way of "Tuning" the pre 96 Impreza unless going stand alone, with the then ecu of choice the Apexi Power FC. TBH there are only a couple of chips id trust and that's Scott Tailors Polar Performance chip or the ESL non mappable board, IMO they do work with basic mods up until the point where you start changing turbos and injectors.

That is a really good post, are you on SN Jay?

Fuel cut is a deeply unpleasant thing...first time I experienced it I thought I'd killed the car :eek:

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Hmm the past few posts have scared me, mine is a 2000/2001 registered classic with a decat (not remapped):nono: