ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Inferno Project Thread

S4 Avant
Well, I guess my car has reached project status, so as pointed out by addz, it needs its own thread.

Basically my cars life started out in the hands of some chav, who'd put a charming body kit on the car, and proceeded to drive into something a lot harder than a clio. So I purchased the car from a salvage yard in sheffield for considerably less than the cost of a good 182, in november '07. (You have to remember that 182's were going for 8-9,000 when i was looking at them)

Original salvage yard pics

myclioe.jpg

rearview.jpg

Looking around the car initially there was only superficial damage to the panels, but the most serious looking bit of damage was the drivers side wheel being at some crazy angle. This was enough to warrant it being a Cat C write off. Being the daft t**t I am, I purchased the car thinking it would only take a couple of grand to repair.

Photo-0261.jpg

Photo-0268.jpg

Photo-0265.jpg

It ended up being double that sum to repair, I was dissapointed to say the least.

So after buying the car, I had it transported down to a garage in ilkeston which my dad knew was good. There it spent much time being put back in one piece.

Photo-0009.jpg

Photo-0010.jpg

In the end it needed:
new subframe
new drive shaft
new steering rack
new radiator
new brakes and pads all round
new wheel bearings
new A/C condensor
new wings

So all the damage done to it was underneath the body work, and there was not a chance in hell that when it had the accident, it was on those wheels. I imagine the original alloys would have resmbled a paper clip shape.

Photo-0004.jpg

Photo-0005.jpg

Photo-0006-1.jpg

Several months went by, and it came to the time where we needed to get the car VIC'ed to get a new V5 for it. We were all set for it to pass the MOT on the wednesday, and drive it down to the VIC centre in derby on the friday... however it went and failed the MOT on emissions and rear seat belts:dapprove:

So very quickly posted up help, and managed to get a trailer on thursday afternoon

Photo-0073.jpg

Photo-0075.jpg

Photo-0076.jpg

off it went and passed the VIC

Later we learned that in an attempt to decat the car, previous chav owner had broken the cat into lots of little pieces with something similar to a crow bar. So a new cat was needed. Renault being Renault were wanting £900 for a new one, so managed to get one for £190 in the end.

With that done, the car could finally be handed back:D

The day we picked it up:
Photo-0059.jpg

Photo-0060.jpg

and pics of it after much cleaning

Photo-0128.jpg

Photo-0126.jpg

DSCN1265.jpg

DSCN1261.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

Now all I had to do was buy insurance on it:dapprove:

for some strange reason, insurance companies don't like 19 year olds on modified Cat C group 16 cars...

having rung every possible insurance company up, I couldn't get anything below 3,000 so... something had to change.

The car started to become unmodified.

First thing to be ripped off were the sideskirts

Photo-0175.jpg

Photo-0171.jpg

Photo-0172.jpg

Then managed to source a new rear bumper and sideskirts, bargain for 100 pounds:approve:
(first bargain this car has seen)

Photo-0007_1.jpg

Then got the new standard exhaust system for it

Spent a couple of weekends putting all the bits on but was pleased with the results

Photo-0019.jpg

Photo-0020.jpg

Photo-0023.jpg

Photo-0024.jpg

Photo-0005_2.jpg

Photo-0004_1.jpg

Much quieter without the "Stateside Cherrybomb" centre section on it... I was mortified when I read that

So with all the done, I turned my attention to the front splitter... The most akward b*****d to get off, glued on with only the finest tiger seal. (as a word of warning, if i hear tiger seal mentioned again on this forum, god help you)

Photo-0194.jpg

Photo-0193.jpg

Photo-0202.jpg

Photo-0206.jpg

This brings us up to last week, where Addz popped up to help me get all the adhesive off the car, I think I'm still high on paint thinner and white spirit

Photo-0238.jpg

Photo-0240.jpg

Photo-0242.jpg

Photo-0249.gif

One for the CS perverts out there, you'll be asking for a pic of her anyway:rasp:

...and as she stands now

Photo-0247.jpg

Thanks for reading

Astra coupe
Now all I had to do was buy insurance on it:dapprove:

for some strange reason, insurance companies don't like 19 year olds on modified Cat C group 16 cars...
Key thing there is group 16. I'm insured on a cat c modified car. No more than a none listed car.

Anyway it looks good. :)

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
looking good mate, what did the old exhaust sound like?

Never above 25mpg
Top work :D Nice job there :D Didnt realise all the previous hassle you had before with the VIC testing.

clio 1.2 16v
ur 19 and u got insured on that ?

how much was it for u mate, im 18 and 19 in march and looking for a new car but just didnt think i cud get insured for a while on something bigger than an 1.6

Combo
nice work, you've done really well on getting it back to how it should be.
love the fork lifts lifting the car up, never seen that before!

S4 Avant
ur 19 and u got insured on that ?

how much was it for u mate, im 18 and 19 in march and looking for a new car but just didnt think i cud get insured for a while on something bigger than an 1.6

I'm not insured on it yet, waiting a month till I turn twenty;)

tbh what I've learnt from this is, having any no claims bonus, is like gold. If you've got no ncb like me, forget being insured on anything bigger than a 1.6

Top work :D Nice job there :D Didnt realise all the previous hassle you had before with the VIC testing.

Yeah, this car has been interesting, dedication does not come close

nice work, you've done really well on getting it back to how it should be.
love the fork lifts lifting the car up, never seen that before!

ah the joys of buying crashed goods, I never got the toolkit with it. Did find a stella bottle top in the back seats yesterday though

Lot of time/money/sweat spent on this. Good going mate.

along with the blood/tears/foul language:rasp: cheers for the nice comments

good work dave.....getting there now mate

''hi skippy'':D

thanks norm, tis slowly turning into the car I've always wanted. Plus... finished in not normal orange:approve:

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Nice going mate. Slowly getting there with making it better again. How many miles is it on by the way?

S4 Avant
Nice going mate. Slowly getting there with making it better again. How many miles is it on by the way?

38,000 bit gutted about that too, cus I don't think it's had the 36,000 service:(

On another note, just ordering my new rims from rimstock, do i go for white or black pro race 1.2's?

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
heres some pics when i popped up, i fecking hate tiger seal now!

Picture2077.jpg

Picture2078.jpg

Picture2079.jpg

Picture2080.jpg

Picture2081.jpg

400bhp in 2 cars :) one that scares dave more than the other haha
Picture2082.jpg

Picture2083.jpg

Picture2084.jpg

Picture2085.jpg

Picture2087.jpg

my finger prints dont quite work on the scanner at work now so i cant clock in :(

S4 Avant
I'm stealing your camera addz, how does my car look that clean?! it'd never pass the white glove test in reality

god that adhesive is caked on!

looks so much better, coming along nicely, im awaitng flames but the black original wheels looked well on it, just the bodykit that looked poo

just outta interest whats up with the ladies leg? she twisted her kneecap?

S4 Avant
god that adhesive is caked on!

looks so much better, coming along nicely, im awaitng flames but the black original wheels looked well on it, just the bodykit that looked poo

just outta interest whats up with the ladies leg? she twisted her kneecap?

Cally tore her cruciate ligament, and ripped the cartalidge jumping off a chair in a dance show, so shes now in recovery for the next 9 months. Poor girl.

Thanks for the comments, appreciated

I've just noticed the front plate (on Dave's)! What size is that?

Custom sized my dear fellow, 48cm wide, 9cm deep. fits the recess beautifully

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Staggering amount of work and effort gone in here - which is to be comended for sure! Well done mate, looks an awful lot better standard. And Cat C won't affect your insurance, there's no where to declare if a car's been damaged on a quote form for example is there - your issue is your age and lack of NCD hehe :)

Good luck finding better quotes tho mate - all that effort deserves some rewards!

TT 225
that mini is fecking sex on toast. a girl near me has baked bean with white turinis although i think ur blacks look better.

S4 Avant
getting the new wheels from rimstock, who make the team dynamics alloys. Part exchanging my black ones in for a new set of 16"s, because I only have three pro race 1.2's and one pro race 1, so rimstock will take my odd wheels off me.

S4 Avant
Recieved my membership pack today, thanks to the admin team:approve:

Shall post more pics when i get the cliosport bits on

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
getting the new wheels from rimstock, who make the team dynamics alloys. Part exchanging my black ones in for a new set of 16"s, because I only have three pro race 1.2's and one pro race 1, so rimstock will take my odd wheels off me.

i got my pro race 1.2's for £280, 4 months old, with new tyres off ebay.

always find a bargain on ebay ;)

great thread anyway, great work