ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new boost bus (Subaru content)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
That's bloody lovely, shame you've not taken any photos yourself, bloody for sale crap quality JPEG's.. Not cool dude, get picturing!
Cheers! I'll probably get more photos after I get it detailed.
Love it!

Exactly the kind of Impreza I would like!

Thanks, very happy!
Lovely. Same as my last one which I modded to 305bhp, was mint and very quick

Scoob4.jpg

Cheers, what mods did you have to get 305bhp?

320d
What are quick 4WD cars like to drive? I've not driven anything 4WD.

Really nice car though, love it. I'd like an Impreza one day.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What are quick 4WD cars like to drive? I've not driven anything 4WD.

Really nice car though, love it. I'd like an Impreza one day.

Classic Imprezas are 50/50 (unless they've the newer 6spd/dccd setup) so they're grippy on launch but can be a bit understeery. Generally and 95% of the time on the road it's no issue. Launching in the wet/snow (with winter rubber) is hilarious.

Most of the time there's just lots of grip and you won't even notice it. It just works.

When I got a 172 after having a silly played-with scoob, it was like getting onto a milkfloat. The brakes didn't work, there was zero power and it just pushed wide on corners haha. Where as when I came from an auto 1.6 corolla before my old ph1, it was like stepping into a rocket powered gokart :eek:

Impreza RB5 #054
Its hard to explain how they feel to drive, all the Imprezas I've drove all feel really tight with loads of mechanical grip and the gearboxes always feel really tight and nice

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Classic Imprezas are 50/50 (unless they've the newer 6spd/dccd setup) so they're grippy on launch but can be a bit understeery. Generally and 95% of the time on the road it's no issue. Launching in the wet/snow (with winter rubber) is hilarious.

Most of the time there's just lots of grip and you won't even notice it. It just works.

When I got a 172 after having a silly played-with scoob, it was like getting onto a milkfloat. The brakes didn't work, there was zero power and it just pushed wide on corners haha. Where as when I came from an auto 1.6 corolla before my old ph1, it was like stepping into a rocket powered gokart :eek:

I took my mechanic (ex racing driver) out for a spirited drive tonight and he said it will take me a while getting used to 4WD, I'm too used to engine braking and chucking it into a corner, lol. :eek: With him at the wheel it was easy to see just how capable these cars are at taking corners.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
When I was at bedford in march there was a wagon there, it was hilarious how well it went around corners. Awesome cars, would love one. Yours looks like a stunner too!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
This thread will depress me :(. Looking forward to my commission for the heads up, PayPal is okey dokey ;)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Cheers! I'll probably get more photos after I get it detailed.

Thanks, very happy!

Cheers, what mods did you have to get 305bhp?

Full h&s Decat, walbro fuel pump, sti 8 top mount, andy forest hybrid td04, andy forest ecutek remap

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I had the h and s exhaust, sounded epic but not in your face too much. Mine was mapped to about 250 ish in the std turbo, went well enough, just loved the noise more than anything else tbh, addictive.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Yep, awesome cars I will have another, a type r or a type ra

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Love that pal!!!!

Only thing I'd change personally is back-box. More a fan of Hayward and Scott type 'more subtle' exhausts..

Bet he's getting sick of saying thanks haha!
Plus by what yeecup said it looks pretty easy to get some power out of it! not sure about the TD04 turbo though they have always seemed a little small and is punchy in low revs but backs down on high revs.
So in other words Liam... Get tuning!! haha

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Lol cheers again all.

I've went through £110 worth of petrol already. LOL!!! :cool:

AMG SL55
Hi all,

I am the previous owner of said Scooby and found this thread from the for sale thread on Scoobynet. Really glad you are so happy with it Liam and I am sure she will be looked after as well as I did if not better.

One thing about driving AWD cars that is very different to FWD.... corners are best taken slow in, fast out.... the additional grip and poise from the AWD system makes the speed of exit quite astonishing. Also you will notice that launching requires a bit of practice as the AWD system will bog the car down more than a 2WD system, but when you get it right.... it's like a rat up a pipe :D

Great to see so many comments of approval on a rival marque forum, a pity more of them aren't like this. It's a credit to the community here. After all we are all supposed to be petrolheads and although we may favour one marque over another a proper petrohead likes cars and bikes in general. Great place it seems, nice one :approve:

Hi all,

I am the previous owner of said Scooby and found this thread from the for sale thread on Scoobynet. Really glad you are so happy with it Liam and I am sure she will be looked after as well as I did if not better.

One thing about driving AWD cars that is very different to FWD.... corners are best taken slow in, fast out.... the additional grip and poise from the AWD system makes the speed of exit quite astonishing. Also you will notice that launching requires a bit of practice as the AWD system will bog the car down more than a 2WD system, but when you get it right.... it's like a rat up a pipe :D

Great to see so many comments of approval on a rival marque forum, a pity more of them aren't like this. It's a credit to the community here. After all we are all supposed to be petrolheads and although we may favour one marque over another a proper petrohead likes cars and bikes in general. Great place it seems, nice one :approve:
:cheers:

Any photos of the SL55?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Story of my life, that :eek:

If in doubt - more revs and sidestep the left pedal !

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Alright Chris :approve: Loving every minute of the car, took it to my mechanics to show him and he said it's probably the most immaculate classic he's ever seen - and he's been working on them for years!

Turned a lot of heads on the return trip, I was outside Anfield 30mins before kick off on Sunday and I got people staring and giving the thumbs up, some little fella on a bike actually cycled onto the road at a red light to tell me what a beast car I had LOL!!

Only bad thing is I'm very paranoid when parking it in a car park. :quiet:

Subaru Impreza WRX
Admired this car on both forums now, on here as looking to downsize to a 182 - currently own a '56 WRX Wagon.

I have had two classics previously. The last one was a late classic like yours and all you would need for 320ish bhp/lbft is:
  • a bigger turbo (VF34/35 normally about £300)
  • remap (depends which route you go but Ecutek about £600).

You already have uprated fuel pump and exhaust so don't need those - however, has the downpipe cat been changed for a Sports Cat? Mid-section decatted?

Yes you can change to STi8 top mount or go front mount but not necessary for this stage of power.

I swapped to a VF35 and had it remapped by Bob Rawle where it produced 325bhp/320lbft and that makes for a quick car as they only weigh about 1235kgs. Only problem with the bigger turbo is that it kicks in a bit later than the standard TD04.

Looks an absolute minter that one, especially with Newage STi seats :cool:

AMG SL55
Alright Chris :approve: Loving every minute of the car, took it to my mechanics to show him and he said it's probably the most immaculate classic he's ever seen - and he's been working on them for years!

Turned a lot of heads on the return trip, I was outside Anfield 30mins before kick off on Sunday and I got people staring and giving the thumbs up, some little fella on a bike actually cycled onto the road at a red light to tell me what a beast car I had LOL!!

Only bad thing is I'm very paranoid when parking it in a car park. :quiet:

Hi Liam, glad you are having lots of fun with it and yes she does draw quite a few comments due to the condition and the colour I think :D Good news from the mechanic too ... she is a good example for sure.

Just to reiterate what I told you on Saturday she has no centre cat, but still has the original cat in the downpipe. You could replace this with a sports cat. For a bit more power look at a remap and a tweaked turbo (Andy Forrest is a good place to look), but be careful going over 310bhp as the gearbox will be at the limit there. Just be sympathetic to it and it should be fine though. Be careful about messing with the induction system as the MAF on these is very sensitive! You have a spare in the glovebox remember :D

Agree completely about the stereo... that's why it's still the original.... I never used it :D For the best noise inside the car put the rear windows down and whizz her through a tunnel .... awesome sound.

BTW I can't remember if I told you or not but there is a CD autochanger under the passenger seat.

Last edited:
  Subaru Impreza WRX
For a bit more power look at a remap and a tweaked turbo (Andy Forrest is a good place to look), but be careful going over 310bhp as the gearbox will be at the limit there. Just be sympathetic to it and it should be fine though. Be careful about messing with the induction system as the MAF on these is very sensitive!

Have to disagree there - general opinion is that if you go over 350bhp then you have to start to worry about gearbox and engine internals.

Clutch though is a different matter, that may need changing if it's a bit tired.

From Andy Forrest's own site:

Engine Internals

If treated correctly a Subaru engine is a very reliable unit. Over 400bhp is achievable on standard internals on certain models. It is however, wise to consider the mileage and previous use the engine has had before planning to tune to this level.

and

Level 4 390-410 bhp

Full Decat turbo back 3” bore exhaust system
Tubular exhaust headers and flow matched uppipe
Walbro 255 l/hr uprated fuel pump
NGK PFR 7B uprated spark plugs
Fuel Lab turbo specification fuel pressure regulator with fitting kit & gauge
STI V7/8 TMIC & matching undertray
0r
Front mount intercooler
AFP 321H custom turbocharger with fitting kit
740cc Phase 2 Fuel Injectors
Custom Cold air induction system
Stand alone fully mappable SimTek ECU with twin maps, permitting use of different fuels or octane booster and elimating the MAF sensor

Note We do not recommended level 4-5 on standard internals, clutch or gearbox. As a mimium we recommend forged piston, steel rods, steel head gaskets and an uprated clutch. We also recommend either a PPG gear kit or 6 speed gearbox conversion ( from later STI)

Level 5 420-450 bhp

Full Decat turbo back 3” bore exhaust system
Tubular exhaust headers and flow matched uppipe
Walbro 255 l/hr uprated fuel pump
Fuel Lab turbo specification fuel pressure regulator with fitting kit & gauge
STI V7/8 TMIC & matching undertray
0r
Front mount intercooler
AFP 321T custom turbocharger with fitting kit
740cc Phase 2 Fuel Injectors
Custom Cold air induction system
Stand alone fully mappable SimTek ECU with twin maps, permitting use of different fuels or octane booster and elimating the MAF sensor
Map sensor upgrade to 3 BAR
NGK racing 8 spark plugs

AMG SL55
Have to disagree there - general opinion is that if you go over 350bhp then you have to start to worry about gearbox and engine internals.

Clutch though is a different matter, that may need changing if it's a bit tired.

From Andy Forrest's own site:

and

Talk to Scoobyclinic... approx. 320bhp max on standard gearbox is their recommendation. Aztec Performance had 340bhp and it lunched their gearbox in no time. Loads of peopel on Scoobynet running 330 and have killed their gearboxes! Anyways no matter as it's Liam's car now and he will do whatever he chooses :D

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yep I've heard that. Think the imports etc are slightly stronger but 320 in a uk would be more than plenty.

Subaru Impreza WRX
Really surprised at that (Aztec) but I suppose it comes down to how you drive, and whether you have any mechanical sympathy with the box/clutch/engine etc.

My car had done over 100k when I swapped turbo and remapped again (325) and it was perfect for a long time. The 2.0 engines are extremely solid. Not so much the 2.5s like my current WRX unfortunately - they aren't so bombproof.

But yes Liam enjoy. If you just change the downpipe and remap it you will get somewhere around 270-280bhp & torque, I did this when I first had mine and it made a huge difference. Perfectly safe at that level surely!!