ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just got rid of my 5S for a new Z3 Compact...let's see how this goes.
Really like my z3 compact. I'm using the Google now launcher, so looks like stock android but get to keep the extra Sony bits (noise cancelling etc)

Mini JCW
Seems like the Nexus is getting lukewarm reviews so far... that and me looking for a cheaper contract means i'm now looking at the following :

One Plus One (will try and get an invite)
HTC M8
Xperia Z3

The advantage of the One plus One is that it's specs are up there with flagship phones and the price is great - is it running KitKat still? I assume Lollipop will be rolled out to it eventually?
The HTC M8 and Z3 have been out a while now, so I expect Sony and HTC to announce their new flagships in the next quarter?

Really like my z3 compact. I'm using the Google now launcher, so looks like stock android but get to keep the extra Sony bits (noise cancelling etc)

I'm pretty surprised how quickly I've got used to it. Camera takes some effort but otherwise it's pretty sweet.

Battery life is icing on the cake tbh.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Couple of updates before Lollipop is released. I know it probably won't much of a difference to touchwiz.

I've been using Nova launcher since launch really, not sure if Prime is worth upgrading to just for badges. The rest of the app is fantastic.

Home is lacking a bit of colour but I like it for now. Anyone recommend a call app? I find this one dated.

5fce2060090b986d97ecd845c35877ba.jpg

Battery life surpasses the nexus 6 reviews I've watched including Brownlee's one.

c516e9408ef8b7d5884629e62cce13b8.jpg

d34744313824a8c6ad5e4a33f50d365a.jpg

I love the Nexus 6 in White. It's stunning but I think it's too big (coming from a Note 4 owner) you can see when next to other phones just how massive it is.

Anyway almost 4 weeks in and I love this thing. When I find a gripe it's always customisable via an app or option. Although hadn't quite settled on a browser. Using Chrome again but wish Mozzila was better. I'll stick with it for now.

Camera is immense. All the after shots in my Saab detail thread were taken with this. I thought it was over sharpening everything but I had it on Cinema display! Idiot!

I enjoy giving it to other people to play with, Apple owners mostly impressed by speed and ease of use (I have mine set up cleanish). They agreed that Samsung have come along way.

From more reading, Samsung know that TW is a serious issue for people and the big reviews have mentioned it over and over, there seems to be murmurings of a new OS away from TW in the future...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
When do you think lollipop will be released for the Note? I can't see it being this year as they are still rolling it out to the Nexus devices.

I had a look at a Note 4 last week and I was impressed with the speeds of it. I'd lose the stylus though within a week and I'd get pissed off with the Samsung overlay/bloat ware. I'd have to do too much customisation to get it how I liked.

As for Nova launcher, you get more than just badges for the prime version. Ability to have customised actions, double tap/swipe up etc to open an app etc is pretty handy. I think I got it when it was on sale.

Also, get the Amazon app of the day app. Get some good paid apps for free on there. Sometimes they give away a £100 worth of apps over a weekend. Some of them are pretty handy.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I understand people's apprehension. I have played around with it for a while to get to how I want. I still don't understand apps starting on their own (gumtree for eg) but I think that's an Android thing.

Got a link to that app?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone is considering or has any questions don't hesitate to ask. I'm a noob.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
From what I remember (I've had it for a while) you have to download the Amazon app first.
Should be able to find it from the link below though. It might take you to the right place?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?docId=1000644603

As for the Gumtree app (for example), hold down on the icon in the app draw, you should be able to drag it over the app info. Have a look in there to see if there's anything there to start it automatically.

Mini JCW
Been back and forth between the OnePlus One and Xperia Z3, but have finally decided on the Z3, the only concern being the low output voltage via the headphone jack that was putting me off.

Decided to go for an external amplifier / DAC and decent cans to go with the Z3. Looking forward to it now! :smile:

Last edited:

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
For me the Moto X looks great. Im very tempted....32gb isn't available yet...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Update on Note 4 battery...

ca41e91eea2ab0c6daf0a877bfb148fe.jpg

Been so impressed by it. The phone itself is brilliant. A tech head could have the best all rounder on the market with certain tweaks and apps imo.

Something I've noticed on mine is the same on yours. If you add your usage figures it comes to 80% + 4% remaining. Am I being stupid but where is the other 16% google?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Something I've noticed on mine is the same on yours. If you add your usage figures it comes to 80% + 4% remaining. Am I being stupid but where is the other 16% google?
You've scrolled the screen up to look for other items using the battery?

Having said that mine only adds up to 98% : confused:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone ordered a Nexus 6 yet? Vodafone are offering me a really good deal on one that is hard to say no to.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As Mark mentioned the rest of the screen is further down.

I think the percentages missing are in the decimal points. Like 33.5% etc.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Keep an eye on yours. I guess its possible. Mine is way out by the time the battery is almost flat.

Mine is currently showing 31% used in total and 51% remaining.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Question, as I'm quite new to Android. I've just picked up a galaxy s tablet, is it possible to run stock android on it? I've heard people talk about rooting, but no idea what it means!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Keep an eye on yours. I guess its possible. Mine is way out by the time the battery is almost flat.

Mine is currently showing 31% used in total and 51% remaining.
I don't check mine at all apart from the battery % in the status bar. It's currently on 50% and I've used Netflix and maps today along with a hundred emails. Been very impressed.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Question, as I'm quite new to Android. I've just picked up a galaxy s tablet, is it possible to run stock android on it? I've heard people talk about rooting, but no idea what it means!
You can use Google launcher? Easy download. Rooting is kinda techy stuff imo.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
If you want to run stock android you will need to root iirc.
Otherwise you will be running Samsung with an overlay. You'll still have all of the shite running in the background.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I installed Nova Launcher for the first time on my HTC One and I took it off cos I wanted to keep my far left screen for the news,gadget and all that stuff not sure what the proper name for that screen. Is their any way to keep it whilst using Nova Launcher?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
You can add home screens and customise them with widgets so I think you should be able to do what you are wanting to.

Wow...woke up this morning to a shattered screen on my Z3 Compact.

This isn't looking good and the screen is totally unresponsive.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
What new phone for my missus?

She had the iPhone 4 but fancied a change and went for a Lumia 920 last upgrade... now it's coming round again. She's not been very impressed with Windows Phone, and as there hasn't been a flagship since the Lumia 930 she's now looking to move away from the format. Went around all the shops yesterday and we ended up looking mainly at the HTC One Mini, Samsung Galaxy Alpha & Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. She does love my iPhone 6 but she's trying to save money atm so looking at cheaper alternatives. She doesn't want anything bigger than the iPhone 6 so is looking at the smaller versions of phones.

She said the most important aspects to her are battery life and the quality of the camera... along with general performance and call quality. Any more suggestions? I pointed out the LG G3 but she didn't like it, and isn't interested in the Nexus 6 either due to the size. Why do no stores ever have Motorola's in!? Weird.

Also looking for recommendations on providers... she's with EE atm but not very impressed with the reception or billing (she's on £35 p/m but usually ends up paying £50 without actually going over her limits) something like £25-30 p/m would be perfect with a free or near free phone purchase. Is O2 Refresh worth a shout?

Thanks!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I find O2 is brilliant in my area and the majority of the northwest when i'm traveling around daily with work. The refresh option is quite good in my opinion, i like the fact i can keep the contract but change the phone much easier.

If she is after battery and camera i would go with the z3 compact. Samsung Galaxy Alpha will have the same issues as all the other smasungs, Touchwiz. HTC One Mini's camera is poor like the full size HTC One M8 i currently have, battery is not that great either (struggle for a day unless the power savers are used, i suspect battery will be worse on the mini).

Other options to look at are Motorola Moto X, you'll have to get this online. Sony Z3 (full size), One plus One and a sim only contract.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Go for the z3 compact. The wife has it and she loves it. Not too big, cracking camera, battery does two days usually.
She's on o2 and pays around £25 pm for it I think.