ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mmm. Looking at a quick review the moto x hasnt got a very good battery and the nexus 6 is going to be too big.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Nexus is out, too big.
-moto x
-m8
-Z3

Unless something else is due out soon that will superceed the above.

2014 Focus Titanium
Well i guess it depends how you look at it, playing devils advocate..

- The technology in every iPhone is found in an Android phone two years later
Hmm, chip technology and Bluetooth 4 LE aside, its a different game. So no, don't entirely agree (3-6 months maybe)

- Android is unreliable
I'd agree with that. I suppose this one is based on opinion!

- The top Mac Pro has 18 processors
It does indeed have an 18 Core chip. Thought it was 12 core? Oh and he thought it was 18 processors, not cores. He's that much of a tool.

- Macs are immune to hacking due to their "closed system"
Not exactly accurate, but there's basis in fact that OS X is more secure. Yeah this guy meant it's impossible.

- The "nano-chip" in the iPad Air 2 is a world's first, created by Apple
Yup. No arguments there. I thought the A8X was made by ARM? Or is it Apple proprietary now? I genuinely don't know. And didn't know that this so-called nano-chip technology was anything new?

- His mate was a programmer at Microsoft and in Windows 95 planted a bug which is still in 8.1
Bit of a weird thing to lie about. But unlikely.

- Google is worth nothing because it has no tangible assets - Apple could buy them out but choose not to
LOL. Yeah too many mars bars at this point.

- A Mac can run windows faster than a PC, because they take out all the drivers and stuff because apple have their own drivers
Yup. Worded badly but a Mac running a boot camp setup turns it into one of the best windows PC's you'll ever have. I'm not denying it would be just as fast as a pc, after all they'd be using identical hardware if you compared like for like, the fact it's a mac has no bearing in this. It certainly wouldn't mean it's any faster. The mac pros look cool as f**k though.

- The reason Apple charge $100 for an extra 32GB of memory in their iPads/phones is because their hardware is so complex that it takes much more effort to create different memory options
Yeah sadly this is bullshit.

He's more than half right. If he can prove the windows bug that's 6 and a bit out 9

Don't give this guy any slack Tom, he's a proper r****d who isn't knowledgeable like you.

My wife and I both got Galaxy S5s last week and so far, so good. Have averaged about 40 hours of normal use before needing to charge it which is decent really!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well i guess it depends how you look at it, playing devils advocate..

- The technology in every iPhone is found in an Android phone two years later
Hmm, chip technology and Bluetooth 4 LE aside, its a different game. So no, don't entirely agree (3-6 months maybe) - Agree but if like most morons he's talking about functionality then it's entirely the other way round. Even so the 3-6 months is purely down to release date. It's not like all Android manufacturers are copying Apple in those few months.
- Android is unreliable
I'd agree with that. - I'd disagree. But this point is entirely down to personal experience.
- The top Mac Pro has 18 processors
It does indeed have an 18 Core chip. - Spot on, but it's not like regular linux based or windows based systems haven't been running them for years
- Macs are immune to hacking due to their "closed system"
Not exactly accurate, but there's basis in fact that OS X is more secure. - Yeah but credit for this can't be given to Apple really now can it?
- The "nano-chip" in the iPad Air 2 is a world's first, created by Apple
Yup. No arguments there. - Seconded
- His mate was a programmer at Microsoft and in Windows 95 planted a bug which is still in 8.1
Bit of a weird thing to lie about. But unlikely. - I can smell the bullshit from here.
- Google is worth nothing because it has no tangible assets - Apple could buy them out but choose not to
LOL. Yeah too many mars bars at this point. - One of the best things I've heard this year.
- A Mac can run windows faster than a PC, because they take out all the drivers and stuff because apple have their own drivers
Yup. Worded badly but a Mac running a boot camp setup turns it into one of the best windows PC's you'll ever have. - Yeah due to the limited options you can have in a Mac the drivers that you're supplied with for bootcamp are spot on. Whereas you're looking at unthinkable variations in hardware to go into a standard Windows based desktop
- The reason Apple charge $100 for an extra 32GB of memory in their iPads/phones is because their hardware is so complex that it takes much more effort to create different memory options
Yeah sadly this is bullshit. - Agreed, purely because they know morons will pay it (I personally buy any RAM upgrades from Crucial)

He's more than half right. If he can prove the windows bug that's 6 and a bit out 9

My own 2p's worth.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Another update on the Note 4 battery and running. Still smooth, battery goes unoticed never failed within the day before.

Very impressed with everything so far. Now running 64gb Inc the SD card.

bfba02187b120736830850f085a67866.jpg

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I haven't really tested to Nexus 6 battery to the end as it always goes on charge with at least 30% left but a lot of people seem to be getting 5-8 screen time depending on usage. I don't believe it is as good on battery as the Note 4 when browsing the web though.

So far for the Nexus 6:

• Its currently unlocked, rooted & custom TWRP recovery installed
•Encryption removed to significantly improve read / write performance
•Updated to the latest 5.0.1 build of Lollipop
•Running a custom lean kernel which has improved performance in Antutu & Geekbench & also battery life
• Running -25mV undervolted across the CPU steps
•RGB colours tweaked as the Nexus seems a little warm & yellow out of the box.

Physically the size is perfect for me and it feels a premium device with the metal band. Also the stereo speakers are pretty damn good for listening to music / youtube videos, much better than a mono rear speaker.

Overall it is an extremely quick device, 6 months of play music was a nice bonus too (can finally minimise youtube videos & they continue to play!)

Can't think of anything else, but here is a quick snap of it idling nicely since doing a few tweaks. I just hope they bring out Xposed for Art soon *fingers crossed*

2014-12-16%2006.15.36.png

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I still need a new phone. Really don't know what to do. Should have kept the Z3..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Righty. Contract is due on boxing day so will look to upgrade by the weekend. Narrowed the choices down to the htc m8 or experia z3, coming from an iphone 5 which has been spot on. Not interested in the iphone 6 although it's a very good phone but i'm looking for a cheaper contract.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Coming from a 5 I'd imagine the Z3 compact would be a similar size. The normal Z3 is pretty big from what I've seen. Both have very similar internals and I think the compact is better built, or more sturdy anyway.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Coming from a 5 I'd imagine the Z3 compact would be a similar size. The normal Z3 is pretty big from what I've seen. Both have very similar internals and I think the compact is better built, or more sturdy anyway.

Well, I went with a Z3 in gay boy white.
15387353961_37c573345b_c.png
IMG_20140927_131648 by tomwh1te, on Flickr
15203942618_9bcc65f555_c.png
IMG_20140927_131652 by tomwh1te, on Flickr

I wouldn't say they Z3 is huge tbh. Ive only got normal sized hands..lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
What sort of deals are paople getting on upgrades? Just rang EE ref the compact.

Unlimited calls/txts 4gb of data. Upfront fee £30 for the phone then £33 a month. Tbh i was hoping no upfront fee and £30 a month.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've just got a Z3 on Saturday , coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 . The battery on the Z3 is fantastic . I got 30 hours before it dropped to 6% , thats using Sat Nav , leaving the wifi and data turned on , lots of surfing on the internet and phone use . I couldn't be happier . Feels alot different to the Samsung in your hand with it having square edges , but feels alot more solidly built than the Samsung's which all feel quite plasticky (sp) .

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
People saying I want a phone for free makes me laugh.
Here is the comparison.
Phones 5 years ago cost say 250. So bundled into a 12month contract easily covered the cost.
Phones are now 500 average when released. So that wouldn't make any sense.

If you have an option to put money up front for a phone. Do it. You'll get a cheaper contract and less ties. More money you upfront pay, cheaper it becomes.

Or buy the phone out right then sim only.
Sure it's expensive out lay to begin with but saves after one year as it's all paid for vs. The cost of a 24 month.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I've never had to contribute to a phone and always had a cracking deal.

Iphone 5 @£37 pm. Unlimited txts etc and 3gb of Internet. That was not long after they came out. I get 20% loyalty hence the contract price.

So no unless ive missed a trick its not cheaper

And you say less ties if contributing?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yeah the battery life appeals a lot to me. You like the phone?

Yeah I love it , a big step forward from the Galaxy S3 and S5 which a couple of mates have . Battery life is amazing , 20 megapixel camera and 4G at last :) I'm a Happy Bunny .

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I had to pay £290 for my iPhone 6 but I sold my iPhone 5S for £230 so all in all paying up front doesn't really bother me!