ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Other options to look at are Motorola Moto X, you'll have to get this online. Sony Z3 (full size), One plus One and a sim only contract.
All too big I'm afraid! Her current phone is is 4.5" and she says ideally she wants smaller than that this time around...

Z3 Compact looks like a good shout then. Reviews seem positive on The Verge etc. which is where I usually go.

I've never been an Android fan since the early days as they seemed to lag so much compared to iPhone's, but I'm interested to see how far they've come and Lollypop looks great :)

Mini JCW
Really chuffed with the Z3. Build quality is a really step up from the S3, the customisation, appearance and slickness of 4.4.4 is great and the speed of the phone is sublime! Nillkin tempered glass screen applied with terrapin cover, custom sleeve from etsy and 64Gb Samsung xD card on the way.

1980301_10152484365237006_8721349005586732509_o.jpg

The home screens changed a lot from that already, put all heavily used apps into folders to clean up the appearance.

Mini JCW
Just a question - I seemingly don't get any message notifications (whatsapp / FB messenger / Hangouts etc) until i've unlocked the phone and gone to the home screen? Even then it takes a few seconds for them to appear.....

Just a question - I seemingly don't get any message notifications (whatsapp / FB messenger / Hangouts etc) until i've unlocked the phone and gone to the home screen? Even then it takes a few seconds for them to appear.....

You've got stamina mode on with the battery by the looks of things, have you added those apps to your white list?

If not then they won't be active in the background until you've unlocked the phone.

Nice to see they've implemented an OS-based way to stock unneeded wake locks (though there was a bug iirc in 4.3 which some apps abused to serve ads etc while the phone was off for free advertising!!), so they may have had it for a while, just not heard of stamina mode :]

Mini JCW
You've got stamina mode on with the battery by the looks of things, have you added those apps to your white list?

If not then they won't be active in the background until you've unlocked the phone.

Cheers mate! Sorted now :)

Just hope the battery life improves...

Chaps, just a quick one.

I currently have a Nexus 4, and have an itch to try a Nokia. Specifically the 930. Had a play on one briefly and really liked it.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't take the plunge? I've read one or two things about Microsoft/Nokia the last week or two regarding the Lumia name and whatnot, I just wondered whether this is going to effect future support for the 930.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its a bad idea. Windows phone is f**king dire. I don't care what anyone says. Ecosystem is even worse.
Nokia is just a brand now, Microsoft just own some of the old IP, so what you are buying is a Microsoft Lumia with Nokia branding so support isnt an issue.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I quite like the Lumia 930... it's just getting a bit leggy, and no new Windows Phone flagship until Windows 10 release now.

Meanwhile 😧 http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/26/7290935/sony-e-paper-smartwatch

News of Sony's plans to encourage internal innovation comes as the company says it will cut its poor-performing portfolios of TVs and smartphones in order to reduce spiralling costs.

I've not had a Sony phone in years but they've always been my back up brand!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Just got my 64gb nexus 6 delivered today. Have to say it is a lovely device but this is easy to say when coming from a galaxy s3!
Already unlocked & rooted it, plus removed the forced lollipop encryption - buttery smooth!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Had my iphone 5 for a bit and it's been great. Had a mooch with an iPhone 6 and it doesn't feel that much different to the 5, obv that's for good reason. Anyway I think I've narrowed the choices down to either the htc m8, z3 or the lg G3. Anyone else made a similar move?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I went to a Note 4 from my 5 and I doubt I'd go back to Apple. So restrictive. Are you looking for an older phone? Those ones have been out for a while now.

The G3 and the M8 have been out for a while and we're top of the tree for a while. I'd edge towards the M8 personally. Lovely phone.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Tbh for what I use it for (never used iTunes/iCloud) im just after a change really. The ones above seem to have great reviews. I did look into the new iPhone but I begrudge spending lots on a contract with a high chance of contributing to the 6. My old phone will be given to my girlfriends mum.

2014 Focus Titanium
Had the most ridiculous conversation last nice with some idiot who loves Apple and hates everything else. This post isn't bashing Apple, but it's bashing the thousands of knobs out there who think Apple innovate everything and everyone else copies, here are a few snippets of what he had to say:

- The technology in every iPhone is found in an Android phone two years later
- Android is unreliable
- The top Mac Pro has 18 processors
- Macs are immune to hacking due to their "closed system"
- The "nano-chip" in the iPad Air 2 is a world's first, created by Apple
- His mate was a programmer at Microsoft and in Windows 95 planted a bug which is still in 8.1
- Google is worth nothing because it has no tangible assets - Apple could buy them out but choose not to
- A Mac can run windows faster than a PC, because they take out all the drivers and stuff because apple have their own drivers
- The reason Apple charge $100 for an extra 32GB of memory in their iPads/phones is because their hardware is so complex that it takes much more effort to create different memory options

And a whole host more stuff, and according to him it was all fact and there was no disputing. What an absolute helmet!

I've used apple and android loads of phones if I'm honest I've got a 6 atm mainly as I had a oneplus one was great phone but the customer support was so utterly bad I got the 6 knowing I can just walk into apple for a replacement. When your phone goes wrong you will really value that

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Had the most ridiculous conversation last nice with some idiot who loves Apple and hates everything else. This post isn't bashing Apple, but it's bashing the thousands of knobs out there who think Apple innovate everything and everyone else copies, here are a few snippets of what he had to say:

- Android is unreliable
- His mate was a programmer at Microsoft and in Windows 95 planted a bug which is still in 8.1
- Google is worth nothing because it has no tangible assets - Apple could buy them out but choose not to
- A Mac can run windows faster than a PC, because they take out all the drivers and stuff because apple have their own drivers
- The reason Apple charge $100 for an extra 32GB of memory in their iPads/phones is because their hardware is so complex that it takes much more effort to create different memory options

And a whole host more stuff, and according to him it was all fact and there was no disputing. What an absolute helmet!

Seems like some good points made there.
Don't be upset

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Had my iphone 5 for a bit and it's been great. Had a mooch with an iPhone 6 and it doesn't feel that much different to the 5, obv that's for good reason. Anyway I think I've narrowed the choices down to either the htc m8, z3 or the lg G3. Anyone else made a similar move?

I would consider the Moto X. For me it's between that and a nexus 6. I have heard good things about the z3 though.

- Android is unreliable

LOL all of those are so cringeworthy, I think he needs a good old fashioned slap to get him back to reality.

I'd say probably every single one of those statements he made would make me slap him, I wouldn't know when to stop. He's either a really good troll, or a genuine potato.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member

I have a HTC M8 an then got offered a deal i couldn't refuse from O2 on a Sony Z3. I prefer the looks and size of the M8 however some of the features are better on the Z3 (newer hardware / features).

I'm actually selling my HTC M8 which is around 2 months old for £230 plus postage, comes with everything it should do new and is in great condition other than an unfortunate scratch to the back. PM me if interested.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL all of those are so cringeworthy, I think he needs a good old fashioned slap to get him back to reality.
I'd say probably every single one of those statements he made would make me slap him, I wouldn't know when to stop. He's either a really good troll, or a genuine potato.

Well i guess it depends how you look at it, playing devils advocate..

Hmm, chip technology and Bluetooth 4 LE aside, its a different game. So no, don't entirely agree (3-6 months maybe)
- Android is unreliable
I'd agree with that.
It does indeed have an 18 Core chip.
Not exactly accurate, but there's basis in fact that OS X is more secure.
Yup. No arguments there.
Bit of a weird thing to lie about. But unlikely.
LOL. Yeah too many mars bars at this point.
Yup. Worded badly but a Mac running a boot camp setup turns it into one of the best windows PC's you'll ever have.
Yeah sadly this is bullshit.

He's more than half right. If he can prove the windows bug that's 6 and a bit out 9

Well i guess it depends how you look at it, playing devils advocate..

Hmm, chip technology and Bluetooth 4 LE aside, its a different game. So no, don't entirely agree (3-6 months maybe)
This is amusing, but inherently wrong again. There's plenty of tech that are on non-Apple phones which Apple don't use.
- Android is unreliable
I'd agree with that.
Not unreliable at all, not had an issue in the years I've had Android. Spouting it's unreliable in this day and age is just completely misinformed, and a clear view of someone who hasn't actually used Android.
It does indeed have an 18 Core chip.
So does a PC if you spec it, it is PC hardware after all, so invalid point. It's all the _SAME_ hardware, so this isn't even really an argument, just a statement.
Not exactly accurate, but there's basis in fact that OS X is more secure.
Sure I'll give you that of course, but they are certainly not immune. It's based on *nix so naturally yes it's more secure.
Yup. No arguments there.
Probably because there's not been a need for smaller sims, hence why no phones really use Nano sims. Yes they are the first, medal. :)
Bit of a weird thing to lie about. But unlikely.
More than unlikely, impossible. Not going to go into details, but essentially it's a 100% fresh code base, even just thinking of the NT kernel stack. This is prime Apple fanboy s**t right here and makes me giggle uncontrollably.
LOL. Yeah too many mars bars at this point.
I don't even have a reply for this, even a quick "Google" will show their worth.
Yup. Worded badly but a Mac running a boot camp setup turns it into one of the best windows PC's you'll ever have.
It's PC _____HARDWARE_____, so not it does not run faster. It's the same hardware running Windows, it makes no difference whatsoever.
Yeah sadly this is bullshit.
More bullshit, again huge fanboy view to take on this, as an attempt to justify their extra costs when they get bent over when the next new phone comes out.

He's more than half right. If he can prove the windows bug that's 6 and a bit out 9

He's not more than half right at all, but then we've never agreed when it comes to Apple vs Android, so it's not going to start now lol.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What the hell is a "nano-chip"?

In 3 years of Android phone ownership I've not had a single hardware or software issue, I've never had to restore from an image or sat that scratching my head with the phone. Prior to that I had a iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S - all the iPhones had to be replaced in the Apple store at one point or another, sometimes more than once. I don't buy the reliability argument with iPhones, however, the customer support is normally very good. YMMV.

The problem is, people have good experience, and people have bad experiences, and in this case, people have NO experience xD.

But the hipster way forward is Apple, so Android sucks, crashes too much, is cheap hardware and feels like potato, and is made by Google who are worthless. Only reason Apple would buy them is to sack the employees and burn their buildings.

</rant>