ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
new iPhone 13 and pro…

7726902E-3C59-4B2A-8794-1259D59090C2.png
B2CD9E53-48D7-4366-99F5-299F5FEE114D.jpeg
742580AD-8529-4E2D-BAB9-B50350B0EEC2.jpeg
2F9ADB77-0492-43B4-B1E7-341E250E6CB3.jpeg
A31AEAF4-B7A6-4338-8735-71C1CC9595A3.jpeg
219F538D-151D-4FAB-AAFC-6314EBDC903C.jpeg
9980F76F-C455-43CD-B074-68F5F7DB17C1.jpeg
E4F2B07B-EE9A-462B-B61B-106AE64DDA19.jpeg
1CBA36DF-15C2-45DA-A50C-B765AF471177.jpeg
1F99FB1B-97C8-4B54-ACDE-85F1EC74494E.jpeg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Class leading video stretching ahead again. Camera stills will slightly be behind the pixel and s21u I’ve seen the major comparisons. Interesting none the less. Incredible tech on these phones.

Editing pro res 4K 60fps natively. Madness.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just a brightness measurement. Samsung amoleds are class leading and they supply the iPhone panels. Helps outdoor viewing

I don't see the changes being significant enough to change from a 12 Pro Max. I was tempted to get the Mrs a new phone for Xmas but for the price I'm wanting to spend the iPhone 11 isn't too dissimilar to the XR she currently has.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Will be ordering a 13 mini on Friday, hoping it’ll feel like a pretty significant upgrade from the 8 I’ve got at the moment.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why the mini? Especially from an 8? The normal pro isn't that big.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I’m still getting a bigger screen than my 8 and the screen on this has never bothered me so don’t really feel I need it.
I suspect if I had them in hand I might be more tempted by a 13 but I won’t get chance.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I tend to upgrade most years, but this years Pro blue is nowhere near as nice as last years midnight blue.
Not to mention the complete absense of new features

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Sticking with my 11 pro max again, as with most of the other comments it’s just not a huge upgrade oh and I don’t particularly like the blue.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I was just so bored of the same old phone every year with a fre new features, this new flip phone is awesome, first time I felt exited about a new phone delivery in years.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still on an XS Max and while there isn't anything wrong with it, I'm due an upgrade next month so I suppose I'll upgrade, probably to the effeminite blue one too. Was really hoping for something innovative this year after no major changes for so long but this is just a 12S. Quite disapointed really. Was almost hoping it had something awful and controversial so I'd have an excuse to buy a Z Fold but I can't justify the switch away from Apple.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sticking with my 11 pro max again, as with most of the other comments it’s just not a huge upgrade oh and I don’t particularly like the blue.
11 pro max was a true jump. Great phones and design and shape was great.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still on an XS Max and while there isn't anything wrong with it, I'm due an upgrade next month so I suppose I'll upgrade, probably to the effeminite blue one too. Was really hoping for something innovative this year after no major changes for so long but this is just a 12S. Quite disapointed really. Was almost hoping it had something awful and controversial so I'd have an excuse to buy a Z Fold but I can't justify the switch away from Apple.
The XS max is due an upgrade. If you have an 11 or 12 maybe not.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't it because of the number of sensors they have compared to android phones?
Their face idea tech needs a bigger sensor and still can't do it with masks. Samsung especially done secure face ID for a long time with just a hole punch!

i can't remember what the other array was but the size is just ridiculous. You can't even have a battery percentage number... Seriously!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Got to see the flip and fold up close today. Flip is bigger and wider than I thought which is good. Screen is incredible.

Fold is a work of art. Every time you look at it it's just insane what they have created. Doesn't feel fragile but it feels 2 in 1 and I do not like the outside screen really which is what I would want to use quite a bit for speed.

I don't know, what is the perfect scenario for that sector. I think that is why the flip is so popular. Is a phone made small. Not a phone come tablet. Doesn't stop the want for a fold and 2 years ago if this had come out I'd have bitten your hand off, but it's f**king expensive and my current phone is too good still. TBC...

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I think that's where Samsung have stolen a march on everyone else - they've got genuine "wow factor" around the new folding phones. The first gen were a disaster but the current ones seem to have ironed out the bugs. Will be interesting to see how long the screen lasts.

I'm long past caring about new phones now, we've lived through the rapid innovation phase and now it's pretty much all incremental. Still incredible when you actually stop and think about the capabilities of a modern smartphone.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
When I hold my phone outside the case, see how thin it is and realise what I can actually do with it, boggles my mind. 12gb of ram. Currently 1tb of storage. On a phone that is 6.7 inches tall and mm thick. I run it as a desktop where required.

I sold my MacBook pr because there is nothing my phone cannot do, even if I need a keyboard attached and a mouse if need be. Especially with an S pen.

I use an iPad for anything else, media consumption etc. Even the iPad air is insane. 4k video editing in seconds. I don't even know how it's possible in soenthign so thin and light!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I've been rocking an iPhone XR for the past 3 years, just ordered an iPhone 13 in blue, should be a few nice improvements looking at the spec comparison, especially the screen & camera, but there's nothing really "game changing" these days.

Didn't need to upgrade, just fancied a new one, battery is at 84% on the XR apparently, but still usually lasts all day to be fair, not noticed a massive decline over the years. 🤷‍♂️

Oh well, roll on next Friday...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The XR they made too good imo. It's lasted really well. Did you go for the standard 12? Pics of the colour?

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Got to see the flip and fold up close today. Flip is bigger and wider than I thought which is good. Screen is incredible.

Fold is a work of art. Every time you look at it it's just insane what they have created. Doesn't feel fragile but it feels 2 in 1 and I do not like the outside screen really which is what I would want to use quite a bit for speed.

I don't know, what is the perfect scenario for that sector. I think that is why the flip is so popular. Is a phone made small. Not a phone come tablet. Doesn't stop the want for a fold and 2 years ago if this had come out I'd have bitten your hand off, but it's f**king expensive and my current phone is too good still. TBC...
Re the battery life you mentioned before, I used it yesterday for messaging and phone calls etc, plus lots of messing around with settings as you do with a new phone, I don't watch videos and such as I have an iPad for that but I did try some gaming on the Samsung FREE thingy, when I went to put it on charge last night before bed I still had 30% battery.

Today again lots of messaging, and a few short phone calls, just checked and I still have 73% battery, that's since taking it off charge at 9am this morning.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Wow! I suppose initial impressions will always be average ish because they are testing! They will be hammering the camera etc. Makes sense. All day for me should be 7am until 12 at night. Not many phones would hit that mark easily with my type of use when at work.

Im seriously impressed with the hardware.

What's your initial thoughts and what did you come from. I've forgotten. @Richard_UK

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Wow! I suppose initial impressions will always be average ish because they are testing! They will be hammering the camera etc. Makes sense. All day for me should be 7am until 12 at night. Not many phones would hit that mark easily with my type of use when at work.

Im seriously impressed with the hardware.

What's your initial thoughts and what did you come from. I've forgotten. @Richard_UK
I love it, I must admit it took me a day or so to get over the crease especially when viewing from a certain angle scrolling a page with a white background and you see the light dark contrast either side of the crease, but I guess that's also down to the fact I was looking for it, the feel of it when scrolling doesn't bother me, if anything I like it lol. I love it so much I've ordered the Samsung leather case for it, even though it was 49 quid on amazon rather than the 69 quid they're charging for it direct from Samsung it's still way more than I've ever paid for a phone case before.

I came from an S10.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I’ve still got the XS Max 256GB from 3 years ago and still going strong, I’m pretty happy with the 13 Pro Max but a couple things short on what I’d like but can’t grumble really still a big leap from what I have now. I was on Apple website a couple time earlier today to pre order all the way to checkout but didn’t complete the sale and I tried again and was all unavailable. I was debating to order one or just call in on the day

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve still got the XS Max 256GB from 3 years ago and still going strong, I’m pretty happy with the 13 Pro Max but a couple things short on what I’d like but can’t grumble really still a big leap from what I have now. I was on Apple website a couple time earlier today to pre order all the way to checkout but didn’t complete the sale and I tried again and was all unavailable. I was debating to order one or just call in on the day
Yeah their pre order system is mental!

Hope you're well mate! Still in the north east?

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
For anyone on the fence for one of these Flip 3's as of today Samsung are offering a free Galaxy Watch4 with them, and until the end of the month you can still get up to £550 off with trade in, I got £350 for my S10 which is worth around £200. Also if you go through the process of buying but don't take it all the way you should get an email from them within 24 hours offering you £50 off.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I love it, I must admit it took me a day or so to get over the crease especially when viewing from a certain angle scrolling a page with a white background and you see the light dark contrast either side of the crease, but I guess that's also down to the fact I was looking for it, the feel of it when scrolling doesn't bother me, if anything I like it lol. I love it so much I've ordered the Samsung leather case for it, even though it was 49 quid on amazon rather than the 69 quid they're charging for it direct from Samsung it's still way more than I've ever paid for a phone case before.

I came from an S10.
Totally, no one will really care about the crease eventually, same as the fold! The under screen camera on the fold is the same, only way to show it was 8k camera with a white background close up. I looked for it yesterday in person and it's genuinely invisible when using the phone no idea how anyone could complain, it's a proper full screen experience.

In fairness I don't notice my massive punch hole in the note 10+ either!

Good to hear it's going well. I wish I could try them all. Including the new Pixel 6 pro! And the fold!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
f**k me those fold 3 deals are good! And include new case. S pen and fast charger. Trade in towards contract is like 500 odd quid. Takes it to like 40 a month! 😂

The problem I had, my plan was to keep my note as spare through worry of the fold! 😂

I don't need it.
I don't need it.
I don't need it.
I do need it.
I don't need it.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah their pre order system is mental!

Hope you're well mate! Still in the north east?
Alright there, yeah I’m still in the NE, still think of the Oban trip was a great day. Im currently recovering from Whipples Procedure i had few months ago, haven't been great past couple days just been taking it easy. I might just keep my XS Max was thinking of trading it in at Apple for about £230 or just keep it as it’s been spot on

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Even an 11 pro in green or a 12 pro is a great upgrade. Their trade ins are worth lots are they not? Unless the X's wasn't on the list.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm still on iPhone X and am waiting one more year to upgrade. It helps that I bought mine first half of 2018 from John Lewis and the power button failed 3 months before the warranty ran out, so I was given a brand new one in 2020 🙂 got to love that 2 year warranty...

Glad to see this year the Pro is cheaper, with more storage, so if that stays the same next year at least I know I'll be getting one of those (refuse to spend over a grand on a phone)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
The folding phones honestly don't interest me in the slightest for some reason. The cons outweight the negatives imo and it's a bit gimmicky.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Well my flip is getting returned, they’re picking it up tomorrow…

I’ve just ordered a replacement :) exactly the same deal again but this time I’m getting the free Galaxy Watch4 with it too. I don’t understand for the life of me why they wouldn’t just give me a watch as a good will gesture (I got my original flip the day before the promotion started) but they wouldn’t have it, they told me to return and reorder, so now they have to refurb this one and sell it for less 🙃