ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Haha! 2 phones returned! You'll get a reputation! 😂

Take some getting used to? Do you use goodlock? Or nova launcher?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My latest Homescreen. Facking love this phone even after 2 years, probably half the thickness of a new iPhone!

Screenshot_20210919-111658_Nova7.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
@Gally has Nova 7 changed much on the Samsung? On the P30 Pro its buggy as f**k. My wallpaper zooms in every morning when I turn my alarm off so I have to reset it. Might have a look at some other launchers.
Been lots of issues since 7 on various phones by all accounts.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
@Gally has Nova 7 changed much on the Samsung? On the P30 Pro its buggy as f**k. My wallpaper zooms in every morning when I turn my alarm off so I have to reset it. Might have a look at some other launchers.
Been lots of issues since 7 on various phones by all accounts.

Never had any hassle with Nova mate. I've used it since my note 4 from memory.

Version...

Screenshot_20210919-151705_Nova7.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Never had any hassle with Nova mate. I've used it since my note 4 from memory.

Version...

View attachment 1558223
I wonder if it depends on how you've originally set it up.
The animations on mine have gone super slow. The wallpaper issue, resizing of app icons etc. If you look at the reviews in the Play store there are loads of other issues.
I'm also on 7.0.49 and nothing has been rectified. I've had this since my Nexus devices but I'm considering a different launcher for the first time.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Haha! 2 phones returned! You'll get a reputation! 😂

Take some getting used to? Do you use goodlock? Or nova launcher?
I know yeah it’s getting ridiculous :LOL:

I don’t use anything, I’m old, I just have it set up the way I like it and copy it to the new phone so its looked the same for years

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if it depends on how you've originally set it up.
The animations on mine have gone super slow. The wallpaper issue, resizing of app icons etc. If you look at the reviews in the Play store there are loads of other issues.
I'm also on 7.0.49 and nothing has been rectified. I've had this since my Nexus devices but I'm considering a different launcher for the first time.
Lots of good launchers now including the Google one and the stock launchers can now be modified. Size etc of icons. I've just always used Nova. I have zero animations really, they're all turned off in labs etc for speed.

Also the wallpaper I just set from backdrops app or gallery, they stick.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Lots of good launchers now including the Google one and the stock launchers can now be modified. Size etc of icons. I've just always used Nova. I have zero animations really, they're all turned off in labs etc for speed.

Also the wallpaper I just set from backdrops app or gallery, they stick.
Mines a photo of the kids. I'll try a stock background and see if it carries on.
I've managed to get all of my icons the correct size now but there are other niggly issues that I can't sort.
I don't like the Huwei launcher tbh but I'll have a look at some others this week.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have a weird setting for a wallpaper? I know nova has its own wallpaper settings.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have a weird setting for a wallpaper? I know nova has its own wallpaper settings.
I've not seen any settings in Nova apart from scrolling wallpapers. I've changed the option in that even though I have nothing that scroll across, bar the photo it's a very minimal home screen.
I set my wallpaper from hold down on home screen, choose image, set wallpaper.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped my S21U screen down a few days ago from a few feet onto concrete , Surprisingly the screen didn't even get a scratch but the rear case glass has all shattered and cracked [emoji28]

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped my S21U screen down a few days ago from a few feet onto concrete , Surprisingly the screen didn't even get a scratch but the rear case glass has all shattered and cracked [emoji28]

No case at all? I have the Samsung official silicone one and holding the phone without it feels too slippy. I pulled off the factory screen protector the other day too now I'm slightly paranoid I'm going to scratch the screen.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
No case at all? I have the Samsung official silicone one and holding the phone without it feels too slippy. I pulled off the factory screen protector the other day too now I'm slightly paranoid I'm going to scratch the screen.
Nah, never bothered with one on this as it feels a lot nicer than the S20U did in hand.

Regret it now but hey Ho, Gonna order a thin CF case to hide it and not add any bulk

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Nah, never bothered with one on this as it feels a lot nicer than the S20U did in hand.

Regret it now but hey Ho, Gonna order a thin CF case to hide it and not add any bulk

Fair enough having a case does take away from the premium feel. Good to know the screen held up though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and I don't use a case in the house and use a dbra d grip or carbon later case outside. The grip case is a great case. The spiegen ones are nice I like the air one in black but they stretch easily when taking the phone in and out.

They are too nice in the hand to have in a case all the time!

340i
My contract is up for renewal... Looking at the S21 Ultra, quite the upgrade from my aged S10! - Anybody using that device, opinions welcome.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My contract is up for renewal... Looking at the S21 Ultra, quite the upgrade from my aged S10! - Anybody using that device, opinions welcome.
My partner went from S10+ to s21u. It's a massive leap that one. Ignore the s20 cause it was average.

It's big. Camera is phenomenal if you find enough tests on you tube you will see it rise to the top a lot.

Speed is as you expect and the battery is massive. Not much to complain about apart from lack of SD card. My missus went for the 512gb. Or contract a new fold 3?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I went S8+ to S21 Ultra and honestly nothing seemed worth the upgrade until the S20. When the S21 Ultra came with even more improvements and fixes that the S20 had problems with it was a no brainer. When spending £1k on a phone it has to be worth while imo. I'll hopefully get 3-4 years use out this now. I'm not sure how people justify a yearly upgrade when you consider the cost.

As for the phone it's a great piece of kit and if you want a phone to take pictures with its certainly up there if not the best phone camera out there at the minute.

I have had a 12 mini since launch, I just wish the screen size was a touch bigger for dealing with emails. Going to have to go back to a bigger phone anyway just for the improved battery life as this is always on charge, the 13 mini’s improved battery life won’t be enough. Cba with the MagSafe battery but it is an option.

I purchased a standard 11 256gb from the Apple refurb store which arrived today - straight away I realised why I wanted a mini, it’s a brick 🤣 same price as what they are selling the 128gb new for, think this is stock clearance as they’ve dropped the 256gb model.

The 11 pro was the right size, the 12 and 13 pro are just a bit too big especially with the weight of the pro models. Close to ordering the standard 13.

As you can see I’ve got no idea what phone I want. Contemplated going android for a year but nothing stands out. Pixel 6 may be worth the wait?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Pixel six will be very good. If I was looking at iPhone. 11 pro in green. Sweet spot.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
The new Flip arrived today, as an added bonus the crease is way less prominent on the new one, it makes a huge difference when scrolling on a white background.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Been using the Xperia for a while now and thought I'd list some pros and cons. Gave up on returning it because they expected me to pay for the shipping, just stuck a case on it which muffles the noise so whatever.

Pros
1) 120Hz screen is great, thought the same when the girlfriend got her S21, everything just feels better.
2) 21:9 screen is amazing for web browsing and watching movies
3) Although it took a few minutes of tweaking, I've now got the screen looking very good regarding colour accuracy. When I initially compared it to my S9 I was a bit disappointed, but now I realise the Samsung just has ridiculous levels of colour saturation.
4) Sound quality is much better than my S9, and having forward firing speakers is so much better than the traditional downward firing speaker and amplified earpiece you get on most devices.
5) The fingerprint sensor is extremely sensitive, and mounted on the power button so it's exactly where you rest your thumb when holding the phone

Cons
1) Battery life isn't great. Not sure how much of that is the resolution and refresh rate, and how much is Brave browser being a massive drain, as it's always at the top of the list for battery usage despite me watching YouTube videos for far longer than I spend web browsing. Will experiment next week by using Chrome instead and see if things improve.
2) The 21:9 screen actually provides less viewable area than my S9 when I'm watching content that's recorded in 16:9. You could always zoom in, but then you're cropping the top and bottom of the image.
3) I have no doubt that the camera is capable of incredible pictures, but I don't want to have to learn how to use a professional camera. Luckily there is an auto function which actually seems to work fairly well when recognising the type of subject matter you're trying to capture.
4) Lack of decent cases. Hopefully this gets better as it's a new phone, but I just don't think Sony's are popular enough for manufacturers of higher end cases to bother tooling up for.
5) The fingerprint sensor is extremely sensitive, and mounted on the power button so it's exactly where you rest your thumb when holding the phone... As you slide it into your pocket after locking the screen 🤦

Overall I'm very impressed with the phone, it's definitely a massive upgrade over the S9 it's replacing, and is one of the only phones on the market that doesn't have a notch or dot in the screen which makes my skin itch.
Also the noise cancelling headphones they gave away with it are pretty decent, far too much bass out of the box but that's easily cured.

Just got an (enormous!) iPhone 13 Pro Max, coming from an X which is still in mint condition; would have been happy keeping that but I could upgrade to this on my contract.
Impressed to far, its absolutely lightening quick as you’d expect. The main thing im impressed with so far is how slick the setup process is now - within a few short mins the new phone was set up with everything from my old one. Properly impressive.

Obviously everybody now knows I have the newest phone when im using it in public so my penis will instantly double in size. Again, properly impressive.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
tHANK
Been using the Xperia for a while now and thought I'd list some pros and cons. Gave up on returning it because they expected me to pay for the shipping, just stuck a case on it which muffles the noise so whatever.

Pros
1) 120Hz screen is great, thought the same when the girlfriend got her S21, everything just feels better.
2) 21:9 screen is amazing for web browsing and watching movies
3) Although it took a few minutes of tweaking, I've now got the screen looking very good regarding colour accuracy. When I initially compared it to my S9 I was a bit disappointed, but now I realise the Samsung just has ridiculous levels of colour saturation.
4) Sound quality is much better than my S9, and having forward firing speakers is so much better than the traditional downward firing speaker and amplified earpiece you get on most devices.
5) The fingerprint sensor is extremely sensitive, and mounted on the power button so it's exactly where you rest your thumb when holding the phone

Cons
1) Battery life isn't great. Not sure how much of that is the resolution and refresh rate, and how much is Brave browser being a massive drain, as it's always at the top of the list for battery usage despite me watching YouTube videos for far longer than I spend web browsing. Will experiment next week by using Chrome instead and see if things improve.
2) The 21:9 screen actually provides less viewable area than my S9 when I'm watching content that's recorded in 16:9. You could always zoom in, but then you're cropping the top and bottom of the image.
3) I have no doubt that the camera is capable of incredible pictures, but I don't want to have to learn how to use a professional camera. Luckily there is an auto function which actually seems to work fairly well when recognising the type of subject matter you're trying to capture.
4) Lack of decent cases. Hopefully this gets better as it's a new phone, but I just don't think Sony's are popular enough for manufacturers of higher end cases to bother tooling up for.
5) The fingerprint sensor is extremely sensitive, and mounted on the power button so it's exactly where you rest your thumb when holding the phone... As you slide it into your pocket after locking the screen 🤦

Overall I'm very impressed with the phone, it's definitely a massive upgrade over the S9 it's replacing, and is one of the only phones on the market that doesn't have a notch or dot in the screen which makes my skin itch.
Also the noise cancelling headphones they gave away with it are pretty decent, far too much bass out of the box but that's easily cured.
Thanks for posting. The camera is a funny one. Optics are some of the best in any phone. Computational work has taken over the hardware.

Still a lovely phone!

340i
S21 Ultra ordered direct from Samsung... I chose an exclusive colour, phantom titanium.

Downside is 5-6 weeks delivery, eurgh.

Seems alot of people are struggling on S21 stock!