ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Never head of this dude but he does a pretty good camera comparison between the flagships:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm getting one of these soon, just because I hate monthly subscriptions!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Never head of this dude but he does a pretty good camera comparison between the flagships:

He's been around a long time but Saf etc all seem a bit better at comparisons!

In regards to that screen protector, the shitty protector has remembered her fingerprint, how is that Samsung's fault?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I read something about it being the technology that Samsung has used being the problem. If it will only work with their screen protectors then it should be made a massive warning on the phone when setting it up.

If it can then still be bypassed with a cheap screen protector then it’s the phone at fault.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I read something about it being the technology that Samsung has used being the problem. If it will only work with their screen protectors then it should be made a massive warning on the phone when setting it up.

If it can then still be bypassed with a cheap screen protector then it’s the phone at fault.
You cant bypass it with the screen protector it's only if someone puts one on then sets up fingerprints as it reads the screen protector when setting up instead of the finger.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Currently got a mate 20 Pro and my yesrly upgrade has come up. Not sure whether to stick with it as it's great or change for something else. Is there anything out there noticeably better?

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Shame it’s not wider, would have looked so much better if it opened to more like a note 10 kind of size

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I owned the grandad of them all back in the 90s the StarTAC, I still remember the feeling of owning it back then it was amazing felt like having a real star trek communicator, and it was so much smaller than everything else available, which was a good thing at the time :)

1E66A3CE-BA50-4E50-83CA-F6D2785B4F3D.jpeg

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
What are people's thoughts on the pixel 4? Worthy upgrade/ swap for a one plus 6t? I fancy something a little smaller

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
What are people's thoughts on the pixel 4? Worthy upgrade/ swap for a one plus 6t? I fancy something a little smaller

Not had the best launch but most reviews rate the camera really high bar the loss of the wide angle lens.
Issues with the battery in the first few weeks but it settles down once it knows what you are doing (adaptive battery)
No expandable memory so it's an issue if you can't live with 128gb.

Between this and Stadia, Google haven't had the best year IMO.
I really wanted to upgrade from my 2xl but I'm leaving it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
See my previous pixel 4 post. They're pushing their luck with these devices. The pixel 4 isn't a bad phone, but when you're standing there telling people they don't need a wide camera and a small battery is fine... you're lying to yourself.

Even the 90hz screen thing was a bit of a con. It's been a partial failure whilst not being a bad phone, it's not a great one, and in flagship phone land... That doesn't cut the mustard.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The new S20. (S11)

Attachments

• IMG_20200112_201723.jpg
    IMG_20200112_201723.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200112_201727.png
    IMG_20200112_201727.png
    398.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200112_201729.jpg
    IMG_20200112_201729.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 56

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
My P20 Pro has stopped charging properly through the port so looking to upgrade in the next month or so.

P40 is due in March and the S11 should be out around then as well, Anything else worth waiting or looking at?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You would buy one without Google services?

Easy workaround but not many will do it.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Are the actually stopping Google services on them?

As long as I can get my apps and it runs smooth I'm not that fussed. It's only a phone at the end of the day [emoji2371]

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The p40 definitely ships without Google play services. Don't go buying one lightly. No Google store. NADA.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
The p40 definitely ships without Google play services. Don't go buying one lightly. No Google store. NADA.
Tbf I've not been that upto date with the whole Huawei Google ban thing.

As I say I'm not set, Considered the P40 due to how good my current one has been. The new S11 or whatever they call it was an option anyway, My S7 was a great phone and it's still going strong

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure you will research s**t come the time. Feel free to pop it up in here! There isn't much I don't know about this stuff these days!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The S20 Ultra 5G is going to keep the SD Card slot. Support for up to 1TB.
It will also be available in 128GB/256GB/512GB and have a 12GB and 16GB RAM option.
108MP main, 48MP 10x optical, 12MP ultra wide.
5000 mAh battery with 45W option fast charge. 0 to 100% in 74 min.

Beast spec.

Black 200
i'm having a huge issue with samsung at the mo - bought a note 10 plus in October. Sent it back middle of december as the S-Pen stopped working and dirt was getting under the rear glass. they sent it back on 2nd jan, new S-Pen. Back glass issue ignored. I turned the phone on and the repair center had flashed the phone with the star wars theme software, splash screen, and s-pen lightsaber noises (i did see the funny side at the time). i sent it back to them again to have the star wars theme removed and also the issue of the glass resolved. i got the phone back yesterday and they had literally done nothing to it despite telling me it was fixed. phone them up and they pretty much accuse me of actually having the star wars model which looks completely different and said i was lying which is entirely untrue. i have spent about 2-3 hours on chat/phone to them the past 2 days and have offered them the option of taking it again which they don't want to do or refunding. they don't seem up for either and the support is just absolutely horrendous. i had threatened to go to my credit card company for them to persue a refund and they seemed to ignore me so that is what i have done this morning. never had such bad service in my life and when i bought the phone directly from samsung you would expect the best service available.

All i can say is avoid them.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Quite a rare issue in that regard but feel for you. My one has been flawless so far.

Shame they don't have a little genuis store in the local city like Apple. Phones are s**t but service is simply unparralelled.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Quite a rare issue in that regard but feel for you. My one has been flawless so far.

Shame they don't have a little genuis store in the local city like Apple. Phones are s**t but service is simply unparralelled.
Some of the CPW staff are apparently "Geniuses"
I had to leave my Note 8 with one when it developed a charge issue - it wasn't even a month old. They ran some tests and told me there was water ingress which was odd as I'd never taken it anywhere wet. He did replace the handset in store for a new one which I then swapped for my Pixel 2xl.

I do like the look of the newer ones but I can't see me ever going back to Samsung for anything. Once my TV goes I'll go back to Sony or LG probably, shame their phones aren't as good.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Can't really agree on the whole. Apple the biggest phone company in thw world statistically have more phone issue. Service is so good that at least you need not worry.

I use apple on a daily basis beside my own note 10+ and I could never go back to that experience. I would consider a very good pixel or one plus with a flagship camera so i'm not a samsung whore, it's the freedom it provides and the S pen I use daily so i've had 3 notes so far after my apple life.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah, I couldn't go to Apple for my every day phone. I've got an 8 as a work phone and it's tiny. The only thing it's good for is a cracking app to watch football and link it to my TV - the Pixel 2 won't let you do that unfortunately unless you have Chromecast.

There's rumours of a Pixel 4a coming in the new year. Might look at that if they fix the issues of the 4 and put a fingerprint reader back in and a wide angle lens (massive mistakes removing those) otherwise I'll keep this a bit longer and look at a One Plus.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I really hoped they would of removed the punch hole camera and had a full screen only thing ruining it for me.

DCi
Can't really agree on the whole. Apple the biggest phone company in thw world statistically have more phone issue. Service is so good that at least you need not worry.

I use apple on a daily basis beside my own note 10+ and I could never go back to that experience. I would consider a very good pixel or one plus with a flagship camera so i'm not a samsung whore, it's the freedom it provides and the S pen I use daily so i've had 3 notes so far after my apple life.
Apple might be the most well known brand but they have never sold the most units. Samsung have been top of the pops for years.

It is also worth noting that Apple have refined their returns policy - For example, you used to be able to just swap a frayed charger for a new one but they dont do that anymore.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Imagine the repair bill if dropped....
Yeah that would be pricey.
Isn't the repair on the back of some of the Samsung's close to £300? Just need a decent case with the cutout for where the camera will be.
They need to do that on the front screen too.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I thought OnePlus was all about making a really good phone at a decent price?

Now they want to follow Apple and Samsung by making luxury phones for the rich?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I thought OnePlus was all about making a really good phone at a decent price?

Now they want to follow Apple and Samsung by making luxury phones for the rich?
I don't see your point? This won't be a flagship price, okay, they have moved up in the world but so have their phones.

Compare a OPO 5 to a similar samsung of that age, all the important things like camera were years behind, so they spent more, made better phones, they sold them for more and sold more units.

Hardly Apple.