ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Work are sending me an S21 to replace my 3 year old and completely fucked A5

How are the Samsung phones nowadays? Hate this piece of s**t A5 but I kept forgetting I could just upgrade it every 12 months :ROFLMAO:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
How much are people paying for contracts these days? I pay £20 for infinite free calls and texts, and 26Gb data. However I've just upgraded my mum from PAYG to Three £5 p/m contract for infinite free calls and texts, and 1Gb data.

Thing is I'm sure like many people, I'm nearly always on Wi-Fi. In fact I had a look and over the past 6 months I've only used over 1Gb in a month, once! Three do 2Gb for £6 I think.

I can't see a reason not to leave EE and move over to save loads, I just feel weird about it after being with Orange/EE for near on 15 years.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I pay £20 for 100gb data on O2 with sim only. Don't use anywhere near that but it's nice to know I have it. They are daft with their pricing, probably cost £10pm for 1gb.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I think I've settled for an S21 Ultra a bit of a price difference from Everyday 50 on Orange but work are paying for it...

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Iphone 12 purple, 100g data, unlimited texts & data, BT ports pack, no upfront, £46 24m contract :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Was that via retention?

I think they offered me £65 , S21 Ultra, Xbox Games Pass and a controller plus BT Sport but I had to trade in my S10+.

I'd rather keep my phone.

Yes, was out of contract & getting nowhere on the phone with upgrade team.
Asked to leave & retentions team stepped in.
Took a couple of calls over past few months, not bad as initially renewal was £60+ for what I have.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone experienced charging issues with a note 10 @Gally one day it won't charge with wires, the next won't charge on wireless
No issues at all. Battery probably not as good as it was when new bit still easily a full day and my phone gets hammered battery wise during the week at work.

I mostly use witless charging which probably helps the fatigue of the port. I imagine it will be an easy fix. More weird because your one is having wireless and wired issues which sounds mostly software? Maybe a fresh install required rest to factory settings.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Was that via retention?

I think they offered me £65 , S21 Ultra, Xbox Games Pass and a controller plus BT Sport but I had to trade in my S10+.

I'd rather keep my phone.
£65 doesn't seem ridiculous. Okay you don't need to the 2 subscriptions but that's at least £20 a month and game pass is insane value for what you get. I don't even own an Xbox and use it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Really love that Xperia iii spec list. It's everything I want if the camera can actually get to where they want. So frustrating to see an amazing camera company fall short. Probably all on computational edge like the others have triumphed at.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I bought the OnePlus Nord for £379 about 6 months ago to replace my old Samsung Note 8 that had poor battery life.

It's been excellent, battery last 2 full days, never have any speed issues and the screen is pretty good. It's been pretty solid and I like the OnePlus software.

Obviously it's no flagship phone and whilst the camera is better than my old Note 8, it's the main thing I'd want to improve if I upgraded to something newer.

Paying £10 a month for Giffgaff, 9GB data, unlimited text and calls. Which is plenty for me.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The Nord is a great buy. Very impressed with the specs and long term performance so far.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Any experiences of http://smarty.co.uk

£8 p/m for infinite calls/texts and 3Gb data. Get money back on data not used (I'm always on Wi-Fi) so basically £5 p/m

They use Three. I'm a sucker for a nice looking website.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I bought the OnePlus Nord for £379 about 6 months ago to replace my old Samsung Note 8 that had poor battery life.

It's been excellent, battery last 2 full days, never have any speed issues and the screen is pretty good. It's been pretty solid and I like the OnePlus software.

Obviously it's no flagship phone and whilst the camera is better than my old Note 8, it's the main thing I'd want to improve if I upgraded to something newer.

Paying £10 a month for Giffgaff, 9GB data, unlimited text and calls. Which is plenty for me.

I’ve had my Nord since September last year and can’t fault it so far. The camera software has definitely improved since then, and you can get a version of GCam that works on it too.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Just jumped and got the OnePlus 8T (upgrade from the 6T)

Screen is unreal compared to what i have side by side.
Love the form is still the same size and not any bigger.

Ended up getting the OP8T, Aquamarine 12GB RAM 256GB Storage, with two cases, paid for glass screen protector and £50 off again.
£468 delivered (discount shows £265.40)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Great buy, especially at that money. Solid camera in the 8 pro also. Mkbhd daily phone for almost a year.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Just got a P30 pro. Used but grade A which is apparently like new.
128gb dual SIM (not that I need dual tbh)
£247.

My mate had one from the same seller a few weeks back and said he didn't think it had been out of the box.

Checked O2 and they wanted £47 per month for 50gb I think. I'm currently paying £20 for sim only for 100gb so should work out around £32 pm over 2 years.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah cameras are ace. On my second p20. Tbh I really like the finger print scan aswell as face id. Next phone will need those two really. But yeah 60 a month, nah.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Smashed the screen on my Samsung Note 10 the other day, I'm still having issues with charging and have noticed there is a crack all across the back.

To replace the front and rear screen, new battery, and new charging point would be circa £350+ and I'm just not into spending that kind of money on a phone.

Looking for a phone to do the following on:
Phone people
WhatsApp people
Browse CS
Very minor social media browsing

Budget probably £150-200..

Any ideas? Second hand or new not really bothered as I'm only in this till January when my upgrade is due

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Missus managed to crack her Samsung S9 screen so time to upgrade for her. She wants something with a good camera but the S21 Ultra is a bit to pricy plus I don't think she'd like the size of it. Might have to look out for the P30 Pro or has anyone got other suggestions below £600.

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Missus managed to crack her Samsung S9 screen so time to upgrade for her. She wants something with a good camera but the S21 Ultra is a bit to pricy plus I don't think she'd like the size of it. Might have to look out for the P30 Pro or has anyone got other suggestions below £600.
I picked up a "used" P30pro for -£250 the other week off a seller on ebay.
Comes with 12 months warranty and it looks absolutely mint, would never have guessed it was used. Comes with charge lead, no plug or headphones though.

Battery lasts me a full day and that's using it quite heavily in work.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Smashed the screen on my Samsung Note 10 the other day, I'm still having issues with charging and have noticed there is a crack all across the back.

To replace the front and rear screen, new battery, and new charging point would be circa £350+ and I'm just not into spending that kind of money on a phone.

Looking for a phone to do the following on:
Phone people
WhatsApp people
Browse CS
Very minor social media browsing

Budget probably £150-200..

Any ideas? Second hand or new not really bothered as I'm only in this till January when my upgrade is due
As above, I picked up a mint p30pro for under £250 for the mint one. They have various grades but are all warrantied for 12 months.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Comes with 12 months warranty and it looks absolutely mint, would never have guessed it was used. Comes with charge lead, no plug or headphones though.

Yeah that seems like a right steal tbh I'll be keeping an eye out.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

This or a p20 pro

DCi
I think I'm going to go for the S21 this weekend. I want 5G and wireless charging (but it has to fit in the wireless charging thing in my car haha)

I looked at the tech specs for the S21 Plus / Ultra and there is nothing that makes me go 'I need to spend the extra money in order to take pics of the dog' so I think that will do the job for me.

I left apple for a Samsung A70 last time and I really liked it.

It seems weird every contract defaults to like 24 months + now. Some let you turn it back down, that's seems strange to me.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone ever compared a Galaxy S9+ to an S21 (standard, not +)?

Samsung have a deal on for bank holiday, plus they do trade-in, I can upgrade from my S9+ to an S21 for about £350. At first glance this seemed really good, but after comparing the phone specs, many things about the 21 are better, but I was surprised to see the screen resolution on the 21 is lower, even though the screen size is the same; so it's effectively going to be less sharp, which has me a bit apprehensive. The main reason I was looking to upgrade is that my S9+ is approaching 3 years old and the battery has to be charged every night, and I'm far from a heavy user.

S9+ - 2960 x 1440 (531 PPI)
S21 - 2400 x 1080 (424 PPI)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The s9 has just lost all support I believe. My partner went s10 to s21 ultra and it’s a massive difference for her. The s21 is a great phone that will do everything you want.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Think I'm gonna go to a shop and compare the two.

The Ultra has a better resolution than the standard and plus, but with the deal available would still cost me about £700 (down from £1150 retail), and I don't really want to spend that much.