ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
The OP one being £279 seems like a joke
I know, just double checked there too.

1690380005308.png

Even the OP2 was decent priced

1690380104582.png

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oneplus 2 was the greatest one, even though i got an invite for the OPO. Regardless gone up through the OPO ecosystem and i think its time to exit. Much more on offer and now they are going very "OPPO" copycat now.

Smoothest android experience will always be stock android. No pissing about. Any skins on top slow it down regardless.
You don't really get slow down, I think that has been proven multiple times now. The chip if anything is more important than the skin.

It's why an sd8g2 on an s23 is faster than a tensor 2 pixel 7. Any journo will confirm that these days.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
So my pixel 5 contract ended a couple months ago, as did my "discount." Been paying 83 quid a month for the past 2 months 🤦‍♂️

Tried to upgrade direct through Vodafone. Pixel 7 pro with the same unlimited everything I have now and Spotify...63 quid a month!

Go on carphonewarehouse and to upgrade via them still with voda and same airtime.....49 quid a month.

Took out a new contract instead with ID mobile for £35 a month

f**k you Vodafone!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Hopefully something comes along to convince me to upgrade from my OP8T, so far nothing that exciting has come along to go yes ill move.

I've just moved from an 8 Pro to a 10T. Snapped one up for £380 on eBay. The speed of charging is mental, 0 - 100% in under 20 mins. I just throw mine on for 10 mins of a morning and that's all I need.

Other than that everything is incrementally better, but nothing massively improved.

I'll probably go 12T next year if they do one, I found the Pro too tall in the hand.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
So my pixel 5 contract ended a couple months ago, as did my "discount." Been paying 83 quid a month for the past 2 months 🤦‍♂️

Tried to upgrade direct through Vodafone. Pixel 7 pro with the same unlimited everything I have now and Spotify...63 quid a month!

Go on carphonewarehouse and to upgrade via them still with voda and same airtime.....49 quid a month.

f**k you Vodafone!
You'd think they'd keep loyal customers happy.

02, through 02 were extortionate. Go via 3rd party website for pennies.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator

f**k you Vodafone!
But your now with Three....

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Feck me that price point.

I understand tech is expensive. But this sums up the market places of "as apple did it, we all do it."

I know the market is getting smaller
1. Price.
2. Nothing new has come into phones for a while.
3. Holding onto tech longer.

It seems companies want to fill the gaps of these non upgraders with more expensive devices.

Either way some of the tech is lovely and gimmicky again.

Nothing Phone are becoming like OnePlus which is lovely again after Carl resigned.
Hurrah kept his values it seems.

Hopefully something comes along to convince me to upgrade from my OP8T, so far nothing that exciting has come along to go yes ill move.
Just ordered mine through currys, £100 off, plus £340 for my old flip 3, plus £200 bonus for trade in, cost me just over 400 quid and my old phone, and I'm getting some bud 2 pros thrown in too.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Superb mate, Emma's should arrive tomorrow going by the tracking but we shall see, still can't decide what I am doing with mine. Either way I want a Pitaka case this time round for a change, something different to the bulk of a dbrand grip case.

Oh and the guys like Andy and @ForceIndia who sometimes like a smaller compact but flagship, have you held an s23 standard? Honestly everytime I go into that samsung shop it blows me away, leading cameras and chip, yet some dinky and perfect in hand. Why do I want to own a big phone (small penis).

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm surprised that the s23 is a leading camera tbh. It must be a massive step up from the S22u which I've found very mediocre and lacking in features of the P30Pro which was a good few years older.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Superb mate, Emma's should arrive tomorrow going by the tracking but we shall see, still can't decide what I am doing with mine. Either way I want a Pitaka case this time round for a change, something different to the bulk of a dbrand grip case.

Oh and the guys like Andy and @ForceIndia who sometimes like a smaller compact but flagship, have you held an s23 standard? Honestly everytime I go into that samsung shop it blows me away, leading cameras and chip, yet some dinky and perfect in hand. Why do I want to own a big phone (small penis).
I haven’t tbh mate, but I’ve no interest in them. The iPhone does what I need, i much prefer the Apple Watch to the Samsung ones, CarPlay is so much nicer to use than AA these days. And I love MagSafe. MagSafe mount and wireless CarPlay 👌

Pitaka cases are ace, so slim but decent grip.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
The wife got her new S23 the other day and it’s basically identical in size to the iPhone. 6.1” screen looks tiny compared to her old S20, but so much more manageable.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The wife got her new S23 the other day and it’s basically identical in size to the iPhone. 6.1” screen looks tiny compared to her old S20, but so much more manageable.
And no square sides like some of the iPhones. I was comparing more to the pro max and ultra phones we get used to but that s23 just felt right in the hand.

I think the iPhone normal pro is a very impressive phone as you get all the benefits without the added bulk. Big fan. So many people I know walking about caseless on their iPhone pro aswell... Brave!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I haven’t tbh mate, but I’ve no interest in them. The iPhone does what I need, i much prefer the Apple Watch to the Samsung ones, CarPlay is so much nicer to use than AA these days. And I love MagSafe. MagSafe mount and wireless CarPlay 👌

Pitaka cases are ace, so slim but decent grip.
They really do "everything" very well.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
And no square sides like some of the iPhones. I was comparing more to the pro max and ultra phones we get used to but that s23 just felt right in the hand.

I think the iPhone normal pro is a very impressive phone as you get all the benefits without the added bulk. Big fan. So many people I know walking about caseless on their iPhone pro aswell... Brave!

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So my Pixel 6 Pro has had issues with the usb c port for probably 6 months plus now, I've been making do with using a charging pad at night, but when using the phone for a sat nav when on longer journeys and out all day long it's starting to become an issue. Phone is coming up to 2 years old now as was bought on release.

My wife's pixel 7 pro bought on release has start started playing up with the same thing. Potentially it's partly due to the old cable, as the brand new cable seems better, but seems it's a sign of things to come and Google haven't managed to sort out there issues with the usb c port. I did Google the issue a while ago and it seemed common.

Basically the cable doesn't attach properly, and make proper connection. On mine the cable will literally fall out whilst driving. Is it an issue with other brands or just Google.

I'm looking to move to Apple next with the pro plus in either 14 or 15. Mainly because the LiDAR scanner will come in handy when out on site to scan things.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
So my Pixel 6 Pro has had issues with the usb c port for probably 6 months plus now, I've been making do with using a charging pad at night, but when using the phone for a sat nav when on longer journeys and out all day long it's starting to become an issue. Phone is coming up to 2 years old now as was bought on release.

My wife's pixel 7 pro bought on release has start started playing up with the same thing. Potentially it's partly due to the old cable, as the brand new cable seems better, but seems it's a sign of things to come and Google haven't managed to sort out there issues with the usb c port. I did Google the issue a while ago and it seemed common.

Basically the cable doesn't attach properly, and make proper connection. On mine the cable will literally fall out whilst driving. Is it an issue with other brands or just Google.

I'm looking to move to Apple next with the pro plus in either 14 or 15. Mainly because the LiDAR scanner will come in handy when out on site to scan things.
Have you removed all of the pocket fluff from your charging port? I've literally had the exact same issue as you with every phone I've ever had and clearing the socket fixes it every time

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Not looked at my wife's yet, but I've done mine a number of times now to try and resolve. Potentially doing this sooner would have helped

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
20230805_095622.jpg

If anyone/missus has a flip 4 I've got a brand new clear case from Samsung and a rather expensive casetify case for sale!

Screenshot_20230806_223815_Chrome.jpg

997.1, Caddy, e208
Got a really annoying issue where of I've had my phone on speaker (on hold to someone etc) when returning back to the handset the person on the other end heard me intermittently.
Going back to Samsung today, they have a really cool feature (maybe android, not Samsung). For maintenance mode, so it can only be accessed for repair, not for data.
Obviously they might return a different phone, but in the event they repair this, saves the hassle of restoring it all.
Pretty smart I thought

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Got a really annoying issue where of I've had my phone on speaker (on hold to someone etc) when returning back to the handset the person on the other end heard me intermittently.
Going back to Samsung today, they have a really cool feature (maybe android, not Samsung). For maintenance mode, so it can only be accessed for repair, not for data.
Obviously they might return a different phone, but in the event they repair this, saves the hassle of restoring it all.
Pretty smart I thought

Ye they said they may have been able to sort my charging port out on mine in maintenance mode.
That didn't work out though, and had to restore my phone and lost a few months worth of photos too.
Deffo make sure everything is backed up and the photos 'slider' is selected to on during the back up options

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member

I've got the exact same issue, phone is circa 18months old and hasn't been charging correctly for around 4months.

It's a royal pain in the arse in certain situations like you say.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
The whole USB C charging port issues seems to be fairly common in phones, which makes it baffling that future iPhones will have to have them in the EU.

997.1, Caddy, e208
usb charge ports have been an issue on samsung phones as long as I can remember, I had to fit 3 to my S2 over the time I had it (I upgraded to the S4 on launch, so howeber long that was)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol! In fairness that was a hundred years ago! I've never had one charging port issue on any phone.

Actually... i've used wireless charging for about 10 years unless topping up but never an issue. My Note10+ is probably 4 years old now and still charges perfectly.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Any decent in car wireless charger mounts available? My current one no longer has the oomph to charge my new phone whilst sat having and streaming music

997.1, Caddy, e208
Flol! In fairness that was a hundred years ago! I've never had one charging port issue on any phone.

Actually... i've used wireless charging for about 10 years unless topping up but never an issue. My Note10+ is probably 4 years old now and still charges perfectly.
I had it on my S4 too, then I went onto the iPhone, OnePlus and now back to Samsung - but my mates Samsungs have ALL died at the charge port.

Reactions: riz

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Are casetify cases any good? why are they so much money?? i bulk at a £50 apple case, let alone £80 from Castify

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They are actually pretty good, I don't buy them as i'm not into pretty flowers but they are solid and warranty etc is spot on with any issues.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na

I've always solely used Cable over wireless pretty much.
Huawei Mate 20Pro was sound over 2 years, S21Ultra was sound and then 3 months ownership of S23 Ultra it all went iffy with the charging port.
I'll put it down to a genuine dudd hardware issue over usage.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've always solely used Cable over wireless pretty much.
Huawei Mate 20Pro was sound over 2 years, S21Ultra was sound and then 3 months ownership of S23 Ultra it all went iffy with the charging port.
I'll put it down to a genuine dudd hardware issue over usage.
3 months? You f**king hammering the thing in nightly?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

I hate wireless charging now ultrachargung is so fast.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
3 months? You f**king hammering the thing in nightly?

Yes like I have done with every phone I've ever had. I couldn't do my job role at work if I was restricted to my phone being on charge at a desk as I'm mobile (no pun) within a factory.
So it goes on charge each night. Never had issues previously, like said, my S21 was fine being charged that way daily.
Just think it was a faulty bit of hardware and just a bit of bad luck it landed with my phone.

The fault it had was a strange one too and the tech guy at Samsung repair centre (stoke) that I took it too had not seen it before either. Nevertheless it's sorted now

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I hate wireless charging now ultrachargung is so fast.
But if you charge at night you don't need it to be fast?

I agree during the day etc or if I miss the night charge it's rapid, 45w is quick!

Again if you're charging overnight surely wireless charging is a bit better? Slower charging. Just a thought and obviously no usbc issues. :ROFLMAO:

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Seems a bit daft to me. I get wireless charging etc, and I probably should get a charging pad.
Charging via cable each night or whenever the phone needs charging should be perfectly acceptable though? Can't say charge wirelessly to avoid USBC issues, that's ridiculous.
It's there to be used as a primary method of charging