ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Made myself a new tool today

@J-J donated some 20mm plate so I could make this

View attachment 1558144View attachment 1558145View attachment 1558146

Its heavy enough to where it squashes s**t. After this picture was taken I managed to get another 4 full mower baskets worth of grass in there🤣 So now I can leave that in there for weeks and whilst the foliage is decomposing and it continues to squash it further and further down the bin. I've got a 1 tonne bag full of clippings after removing 3 small shrubs/saplings today.

Saves me getting in the bin and jumping about like a melon
Thats exacty what I do with brake disks

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have had the bins rejected by the bin men before for being too heavy.

Get a snotty official notice stuck to the bin

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Really?

I chucked a engine block in there once and they still took it. Made a hell of of a bang when it went in the back of the lorry mind.

Yea, I wasn't impressed. I'd dragged it from the back of the house, up some steps and to the side of the road, the lazy c***s couldn't make it 3 feet to the f**king bin lorry.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cheeky little treat to myself as I have pretty much everything else to do wheel bearings just no proper way to remove inner races that didn't use the cutting method. Next door neighbours wheel bearing is going so ive offered to give him a hand with it.

Screenshot_20211004_170051_com.android.chrome.jpg

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
My side cutters that I've had for 6 years or so have recently decided to develop slop in the joint so took some advice and brunged knipex. Quality feels mega!

May end up changing out my other pliers for them too further down the line

View attachment 1561222

Knipex make some amazing tools. I don’t want to show you all my knipex collection. Would take days 😂

My side cutters that I've had for 6 years or so have recently decided to develop slop in the joint so took some advice and brunged knipex. Quality feels mega!

May end up changing out my other pliers for them too further down the line

They look good quality so I had a quick Google of Knipex Tools. Bloody hell they are expensive, but I have to assume the price is reflected in the quality.
Being old and retired my tool(s) only get occasional use, so although I'm in the market for a few new electrical hand tools I think I might need to look for something more mid-range

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Knipex make some amazing tools. I don’t want to show you all my knipex collection. Would take days 😂
I would love to see it! Give me some ideas.
They look good quality so I had a quick Google of Knipex Tools. Bloody hell they are expensive, but I have to assume the price is reflected in the quality.
Being old and retired my tool(s) only get occasional use, so although I'm in the market for a few new electrical hand tools I think I might need to look for something more mid-range
These were £25 which I don't think is too bad for a set that should last me a lot longer than the previous set I had.

Knipex do a selection of 3 for £40 ish but they are not as good quality. Could be a decent contender for you?
Screenshot_20211007_191126_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Fodda172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
I would love to see it! Give me some ideas.

These were £25 which I don't think is too bad for a set that should last me a lot longer than the previous set I had.

Knipex do a selection of 3 for £40 ish but they are not as good quality. Could be a decent contender for you? View attachment 1561238
They are well worth the money mate, I’ve got a lot of there stuff!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I was quite fortunate to get a Knipex tool roll of various cutters grips and pliers for £100 brand new. Had them for probably 5years now most of them get used daily and are brilliant.
If you want flush cutters look at Lindstroms they are amazing as well.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Treated myself to a new headtorch (led lenser ih8r) as mine is not the greatest.

Managed to get it for under £50 with a free led torch on ebay brand new so quids in really to say they retail for £70 to £90 ish.

It's quite hard to capture on photos but the difference is mental. Battery life is significantly longer on this too even at the higher lumen setting.

Screenshot_20211023_144805_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Before. You can see its mainly just a small spot in the middle with some leakage around it.

IMG_20211023_143930.jpg

After

IMG_20211023_143944.jpg

I need ideas people - I want to buy stuff for my garage. Not necessarily tools, but items that make life easier and/or keep things tidy.

To give a flavour of what makes my my dingle tingle, I am ordering a holder whatsit for boxes of disposable gloves and possibly a wall mounted blue roll holder.

What nifty things have you bought that you’d recommend?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I need ideas people - I want to buy stuff for my garage. Not necessarily tools, but items that make life easier and/or keep things tidy.

To give a flavour of what makes my my dingle tingle, I am ordering a holder whatsit for boxes of disposable gloves and possibly a wall mounted blue roll holder.

What nifty things have you bought that you’d recommend?
Seeing as though you have your fresh double garage I would bite the bullet and get a decent modular tool cabinet set. Costco have a really decent kit in at £1.4k which would be plenty storage and would be perfect for that.

Screenshot_20211028_171956_com.android.chrome.jpg

Reactions: MLB
Blimey I don’t think I could bring myself to spend £1500 in one go on storage. I am going to make do with piecemeal cabinets and racking for the foreseeable whilst I figure out what will work best in the space. I aspire to a clean solution like that and down the line as a treat I think it would be more palatable than it would now.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone has a costco card, these are ~16 quid in store and amazing.

Clicky

They're unbelievably bright and amazing for showing up defects.

Screenshot_20211028_201842_com.android.chrome.jpg

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have any pictures of them in use please? My 200wat bulbs are expensive to run

Drop me a message this weekend and I'll get you one. They're insanely bright though. If you're into detailing they'll be ideal.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_20211029_074206.jpg

IMG_20211029_074301.jpg

IMG_20211029_074049.jpg

@dann2707 @Touring_Rob the photos don't really do them justice. The first is the light, second is the strip lights I have on the ceiling and the third is both together.

There's a noticeable difference with them both on. You can also fold the wings out to direct light better or just use as a mega spot.

What do people use to remove surface rust from tools and stuff?

I had a lovely vice that was briefly stored outside under cover briefly. A cover that blew off in the wind allowing it to get wet in the rain. Ffs.

406 V6, Race Buggy
What do people use to remove surface rust from tools and stuff?

I had a lovely vice that was briefly stored outside under cover briefly. A cover that blew off in the wind allowing it to get wet in the rain. Ffs.

Citric acid. Unless the tool you're using it on is galv'd/plated, 'cause it strips plating.