ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Got some magnetic shims for spacing whilst welding. Expensive but should make jigging up a lot easier.

IMG_20211202_183321.jpg

IMG_20211202_183354.jpg

Whilst ordering I thought it'd be rude not to get some more clamps.

IMG_20211202_183701.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
pls dont hate me. Been looking for a very very cheap welder (ideally ARC) just for very tiny spot welds etc. We are having the Mexico back from the restorers and I can just see us needing to do a couple of tack welds on bits.

Only £30. Thoughts..... 🤡 :poop:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097MTFQ77/?tag=cliospnet01-21
30 is a bargain but I feel it might be one of those purchases that you massively regret the moment you plug it in lol

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
30 is a bargain but I feel it might be one of those purchases that you massively regret the moment you plug it in lol
That was my gut feeling too. Especially as I did some research on how much even a decent arc welder is....:oops:

For how much I use it, I might take a punt. I just know we are gonna get to a point that we are gonna need a welder. Even for the exhaust or whatever just to tack stuff in place. I'm no fabricator but even being able to tack something in place for then a welder to tidy and properly weld is going to be super handy.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
That was my gut feeling too. Especially as I did some research on how much even a decent arc welder is....:oops:

For how much I use it, I might take a punt. I just know we are gonna get to a point that we are gonna need a welder. Even for the exhaust or whatever just to tack stuff in place. I'm no fabricator but even being able to tack something in place for then a welder to tidy and properly weld is going to be super handy.

I wouldn’t bother if you want to weld exhausts or anything thin it will just blow straight through the metal and make a mess.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I wouldn’t bother if you want to weld exhausts or anything thin it will just blow straight through the metal and make a mess.
Yeah, further reading did say that tbh. I know it will have its limitations. Lots of the exhaust bits are silly thick though so im sure id be fine. Its more just a toy to play with tbh. Never done any welding so it could go very badly but how hard can it be, right? 🤣

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, further reading did say that tbh. I know it will have its limitations. Lots of the exhaust bits are silly thick though so im sure id be fine. Its more just a toy to play with tbh. Never done any welding so it could go very badly but how hard can it be, right? 🤣
Would recommend a cheap Clarke unit for starting to learn. Can be picked up dead cheap nowadays.

Check my welding thread in the general chat section bud.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I will do that! Ta!

I do have an engineer father in law who is pretty handy with a welder so I might get him to teach me ;)

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I will do that! Ta!

I do have an engineer father in law who is pretty handy with a welder so I might get him to teach me ;)

As for how hard can it be? Well it depends on the kit.

A cheap welder will be less precise and make things harder. No need to go balls deep on something mega, but I'd definitely be looking at second hand on marketplace or ebay first.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Tis £75 now!

We bought a relatively cheap inverter MIG, TIG, ARC welder last year. Its been great, loads better than the little Sealey we had before - most of the improvement is in the wire feeder which makes life really hard for a terrible welder (ie, me). I would suggest doing £150 on an inverter welder, or some more expensive ones also have plasma cutter functions which I could see being dead useful.

PS, unless you have a spot welder, MIG is dead nice to do spots with while arc is dead horrid. (y)

J-J

ClioSport Club Member

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup

Anyone ever used one of these? Popped up on an advert earlier, I know it's a leaf blower, but wondering if it'd make a decent car drier?

Edit: just realised I'd need the M18 version, not quite so cheap, but quite a bit more powerful.

Last edited:

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive been looking at the same stubby ratchet spanners. Ideal for occasional jobs and cheap enough. Us pro stuff is alright too, ive got a few bits and no complaints.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i need to finish the hand rail on the stairs, they need a cap. got this cheap cutter on ebay, 9.5m dia with 1/4 inch shank, cut length of 56mm :ROFLMAO:

i suspected lots of chatter and i was right, gave a really s**t finish. smashed f**k out the wood.

im going to have to make something using a more manual approach :(

I7T2c7.jpg

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Treated myself to one of these as theres a couple of intercooler pipes on the skyline that ive found are only straight ends after popping one off
IMG_20220128_214008.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Bead roller looks good. On alloy pipes the molegrips with welded exhaust clamp/penny washer works well for a cheapy. Ive had 28psi through my hoses and nothing popping off.

1/2 router is king from experience @andy_con i used to always use trend cutters when i was on the tools. Still need to take a little bit out at a time though.

Long reach milwaukee 3/8 fuel ratchet has arrived. Not used it in anger yet but seems to be a nice bit of kit.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member