ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Had a little helper while assembling my new chair so I felt it only right to let him try it out first
20230720_152434.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Shouldn't he be wearing a Tap Out shirt by now?

You've been living there long enough, you need to integrate.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just went to check but it turns out I didn't even have Epic installed. Apparently I've got 261 games now 😂
View attachment 1653538
It's a bizarre addiction that most people can relate to. I very rarely play anything on Epic for the main reason that I detest their front end app - it's like the designer for the ex-Origin app gave himself a labotomy with a chainsaw and then felt compelled to write the Epic Games one.

I have been known to 'trial' free games on Epic and then buy them on cheap in Steam, if I like them. :p

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
That'll be spilling out the sides :D
Better than not making full contact, not that it really matters. This was my 4790k which ran at 4.8Ghz for years and temps never went above the low 70s. May have had something to do with the fact I de-lidded it though 🤔
20230809_205030.jpg

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What’s up with it?
Won't power on. Board is getting power because the RGB lights up when I turn the power supply on, but nothing happens when I short the power pins.
I originally thought it might be the power button on the case, but it still didn't respond when I unplugged the button and used a screwdriver to short the pins.
I've tried reseating the RAM, I've tried only using a single DIMM, both of them separately, I've reseated the CPU, I checked for damaged pins, I've tried booting with no GPU, I've tried booting with no RAM.
Something's clearly fucked, but I don't know what 😞

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've tested the PSU in my old system and it boots up first try, so I'm pretty sure that narrows it down to motherboard or CPU. No idea how to diagnose which it is without having spares 🤔

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Sounds like you’re going to have to get them returned. Odds are in favour of it being the motherboard tbf.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You didn't end up squidging the thermal paste to somewhere it's not supposed to be did you?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Does the motherboard support the little beepy speaker?

Aren't they supposed to give a set number of beeps that tells you the CPU is fucked?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Does the motherboard support the little beepy speaker?

Aren't they supposed to give a set number of beeps that tells you the CPU is fucked?
Yeah but I don't have a little beepy speaker. There's lights on the mobo for CPU, RAM, GPU and something else though, and none of them were lit up or flashing.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
This is the dark side of self-building a PC, troubleshooting is an enormous pain in the arse when it all goes wrong.

I remember saying never again many years back when I just couldn't get a damn machine working and it was due to some really stupid conflict between that particular motherboard and a particular expansion card, but only when used with a specific CPU 💥

Build my last few PCs myself, obviously, because humans forget pain over time :LOL:

Motherboards with on-board diagnostic readouts are scary expensive these days, I have no idea why, it's become some sort of premium feature.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
This is the dark side of self-building a PC, troubleshooting is an enormous pain in the arse when it all goes wrong.

I remember saying never again many years back when I just couldn't get a damn machine working and it was due to some really stupid conflict between that particular motherboard and a particular expansion card, but only when used with a specific CPU 💥

Build my last few PCs myself, obviously, because humans forget pain over time :LOL:

Motherboards with on-board diagnostic readouts are scary expensive these days, I have no idea why, it's become some sort of premium feature.
I vividly remember laughing at my mate when he bought a pre-built a few years ago, I'm starting to think he was onto something 🤔

I'll definitely forget this experience by the time I decide to build a new one, this is only the third I've built in 8 years, I've managed to have nearly as many children in that time!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
my pc is about 6 and a half years now, what's the component prices like currently at the minute? Been saying to myself this year or next year I'll be getting a new one but been saying that past couple years. Overall it's still doing alright other than the blue screen of death.

One of the things has popped in my mind a few times is wether to get one with the RGB's, what's the average lifespan for them for the fans?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What search engines are you lot using at the minute? I hear Google are doing a world wide ban on search results for independent news . All I’ve used it google for as long as I can remember, is Brave any good?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What search engines are you lot using at the minute? I hear Google are doing a world wide ban on search results for independent news . All I’ve used it google for as long as I can remember, is Brave any good?
Brave is a decent browser, but as a search engine it can suck a big fat dick. I'd rather use Bing 😂