ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Picked up a 3080 12Gb for £370, pretty happy with that. Going to have to rearrange my computer to fit the bloody thing in though, radiator will need relocating to the top of the case because the card's so long 🙄

Should be a tasty upgrade from my 1080 though 👌🏻
200.gif

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well that was stressful. Took everything apart ready to move my radiator and discovered my case only supports 140mm fans up top, not fans + radiator. All the measurements listed online suggested that my card would end up being stuck halfway in the radiator.

I was about ready to pack it up and stick it back on eBay but then I had a thought. I'd eyeballed it at the beginning and thought it looked closer than the measurements suggested, still impossible with the radiator pipes in the way though.

Now the rad was out I installed the card, then slipped a fan into the front of the case, then angled the radiator while holding the GPU back and managed to drop it in as well.

I'll admit it's a bit tight, and not ideal for airflow, but it fits!
1000037875.jpg

Literally millimeters to spare 🤣
1000037879.jpg

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Only had time for one benchmark run before the football.

The previous results were the result of lots of fiddling, replacing TIM with liquid metal (4790K and the 1080), removing panels, running fans at 100% etc etc

The latest result was after slapping it all together, installing a driver, and running a benchmark in 33°C heat

Quite an improvement 👌🏻
1000037883.jpg

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just get a bigger case 😂😂
I've got a bigger case, it's just full of my old hardware 🤣 (and to be fair is a lot more restrictive due to the solid front panel, hence removing the panels for benchmarking)

This case fits in the cupboard under the desk perfectly so I'd rather not change it again, I only bought it last year when I built the desk.

I had to leave to watch the football, next time I'm back I'll mess around with undervolting and adjusting the fan curve to be a bit more aggressive. That should solve the temps and possibly net me a few extra MHz due to the reduced temps 👌🏻

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
my pc is over 7 years old now and it hasn't got a cpu cooler, when i eventually upgrade to a newer pc, when does it become ness'ry to have a cpu cooler installed? i don't play games on this pc nor will i play games on the new one

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
How 'tough' are cpus? I have a I9 14900k in my fairly recent build and everything was fine up until a couple days ago I started to get blue screens and the cpu was running hot on idle, usually around 40c it was 20-30c higher. Fancontrol was playing up and didn't want to open, I'd sometimes get a blue screen trying to open it. When It was open I was able to control cpu and case fan and even at 100% cpu fan speed it maybe got to lower 50s.

I did a fresh install of windows, installed fancontrol and realised that the cpu fan wasn't spinning up accordingly, apparent from more noise now, it was always quieter than the case fan but I forgot what It actually sounded like. Cpu temps are now around 35c... I've set a lower max temp and the ambient temp is lower than usual in the room right now, some peace of mind. Although I'm worried that the over heating has put stress on my pc and It'll bluescreen/crash easier now, because It wasn't exactly cheap.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
my pc is over 7 years old now and it hasn't got a cpu cooler, when i eventually upgrade to a newer pc, when does it become ness'ry to have a cpu cooler installed? i don't play games on this pc nor will i play games on the new one

I would be honestly amazed if you didn't have some sort of cooler. I can't think of a desktop CPU in the last decade which didn't need some sort of additional cooling, even if it's just a passive heatsink.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Also has anyone gone back to win10? I had to boot up my old pc to get wifi drivers and forgot how good the ui was. I had windhawk which made the theme as close to win10 as possible but even then it wasn't perfect and was kinda buggy.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I would be honestly amazed if you didn't have some sort of cooler. I can't think of a desktop CPU in the last decade which didn't need some sort of additional cooling, even if it's just a passive heatsink.
IMG_1012.png

here's my spec list

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You'll definitely have one, even if it's just the one that came with the CPU.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Also has anyone gone back to win10? I had to boot up my old pc to get wifi drivers and forgot how good the ui was. I had windhawk which made the theme as close to win10 as possible but even then it wasn't perfect and was kinda buggy.
I'm still on the original Widnows 10, my pc isn't compatible with Windows 11 the pc is saying

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Less power, less heat, and better performance. Undervolting is witchcraft. Only spent about 15-20 minutes twiddling around in Afterburner, there's definitely more in this card but I don't have time this evening to mess around more. It's stable in Time Spy and Heaven which is good enough to call it a day.
1000037920.jpg

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
6th gen intel didn’t have it built in natively. You could add a separate TPM on most motherboards to enable it though.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I need a new laptop, something that won't s**t itself if I installed Photoshop/ lightroom on it and imported lots of files.

This is the spec of my current one which must be 8 years old and it struggles, even with most of the software removed.
It won't even run the latest Photoshop now.
20240701_204843.jpg

Ideally something under £6700 as I'm skint(ideally somewhere that does 0%). I have no preference on Intel or AMD. I don't know where they are up to spec wise now.

It needs an SD slot though and not micro SD like a lot seem to come with.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Honestly I have no clue about Photoshop and what's required for it, but I think you might have to buy an SD card reader separately these days, especially on the lower end of the market where thin and light is all people seem to care about.