ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking about a 172cup-advice please

My Brothers thinking about buying a 172, probably a cup. Whats to look for?? At the moment theres a alot putting him off. Most reviews complain about alot of things, saying how they must be badly made as they are already going wrong (being the car a couple years old at the time of reviews). He like the sound of the cup apart from no abs. Basically, are they expensive to keep running? Or do things always need fixing and replacing? It would be cool to have another clio in the family (i got a valver) but he needs convincing!! Help,, thanks, Sam

personally i would get a non cup 172, the AC is a god send at the moment and the ABS helps a lot in winter time. Performance wise there is little between the CUP and the FF. Things to lookout for are knackered exhausts and engine mounts.

IMO they are not that expensive to run, tyres are about £70 a corner, stainless exhausts are about £300, servicing is about £200/12000 miles.

cambelt needs changing at 72K and that can cost about £350

Basically get him to check everything works and that he gets 12months warranty

I have had mine nearly 2 years now and i have only had to buy 1 new tyre and a CV boot was replaced under warranty. Unfortunately i will be needing a new exhaust 3 new tyres and the cambelt changing soon so its going to be an expensive summer for me

172 M69 eater
172 fella... xenons, leather, abs...especially with the issues some of the guys are having just gettin the cups mot'd!!

Clio 172 mk2
samcourtney86 said:
My Brothers thinking about buying a 172, probably a cup. Whats to look for?? At the moment theres a alot putting him off. Most reviews complain about alot of things, saying how they must be badly made as they are already going wrong (being the car a couple years old at the time of reviews). He like the sound of the cup apart from no abs. Basically, are they expensive to keep running? Or do things always need fixing and replacing? It would be cool to have another clio in the family (i got a valver) but he needs convincing!! Help,, thanks, Sam

I read a lot of reviews when I was looking for a new car and saw quite a few Clio ones that banged on about build quality etc which did put me off a bit.

In saying that though when I went to look at my 172 first time I was pleasantly surprised by the interior quailty and the car as a whole....ended up putting down the deposit on the spot!

I come from owning a WRX so the running costs of the Clio are just great...low insurance and good mpg (40 plus on the m-way) are a real bonus.

Go for it....and if you have any problems with it I'm sure you'll find plenty of help on here:D

Thanks again guys!! I will pass the info on. Anyone know the difference in weight from the 172 and the 172 cup? Also is insurance much different between the two? Thanks, Sam

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
cup is 80 kg lighter, thinner glass, no spare wheel, better wheels (speedline turinis) bigger boot spoiler, front bumper spoiler, usually come in blue.

02.jpg

this is mine, when it was standard :cool:

A4 Avant & A3
If looking at a 172 'cup' have a look at the rear discs & check they are not rotten.
Mine needed replacing at around 12k & just over 2 years old. (luckily under warranty)
(touch wood) the rust seems to be clearing off when driven now unlike before.

Other than that, mine has been just fine :)

Still lovin the cup

By the way, the stripes came in with the 182. not 172

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Personally i wouldn't buy a 172 Full fat.. just too soft.. where as the Cup is a bit more driver orientated.. No ABS, No traction control, etc.. Great.. It's a cheap car to run.. averages about 36-37mph, Although it does like chewing on front tyres.. Servicing is 12k intervals..

One thing that has surprised me is the build Quality.. mine's just hit 50k miles and is still very good.. and still feels very tight..

Must admit i do find it a bit boring smoetimes, until i throw it down my favourite lanes.. then i remeber just how good it is...:):)

will be looking to change my car in 6 months to a year ish.. and really don't know what to get.. MAybe an STi Spec C, Evo 9, M3 CSL.. My problem being that on the lanes they won't be much quicker (Twisty B roads) without driving on the raged edge..

Get one you won't regret it..

cliostatic3.jpg

cliowales2copy.jpg

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Buy a CUP not a F/F they stand out in a crowd.

If a standard f/f drives past most people would'nt give it a second glance.

I still get a lot of looks in my CUP.

Could be the driver though!!!!

www.172cup.co.uk is a great site,just needs more members so go and buy one.

BMW 330d :)
gt_gaz said:
cup is 80 kg lighter, thinner glass, no spare wheel, better wheels (speedline turinis) bigger boot spoiler, front bumper spoiler, usually come in blue.

02.jpg

this is mine, when it was standard :cool:

Std? Has it not been lowered in that pic?? ;)

Engles Mummy
It's all about the 172 cup...

Who cares about AC & ABS just put your windows down and drive slow in the wet, sorted!

Adam

03 172 cup
im in the same situation,really wanted a cup but few people putting me off bout the abs and that,not bothered bout the a/c or leather coz love the blue colour and alloys.what to do???is it really bad not having abs coz never had a car without.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i've only ever had one car with abs, Abs was onnly standard on cars from the mid 90's, what happened before then lol??!!

in nearly two years of having it i've only locked up once. Abs doesnt really make you stop quicker, it just makes the car easier to contol in a skid

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Personally I'd try to get a test drive in both cars first as it depends what you want from the car.

When I bought my 172 I did look at the cup first. I really liked the fact it was a bit more driver focused and loved the colour. The only thing I didn't really like was the interior, mainly not having the split rear seat as its well usefull if you have to take a couple of mates fishing.

In the end I bought the 172 as I needed a car in a hurry and I could get a brand new one in less than a week. I drove a cup before I had the 172 and I've driven another one since. TBH although there is a difference it wont matter much to most people unless you do track days or have some good roads to blast on a regular basis.

I've not modified my 172 yet but I'm sure you get the same or better handling than a cup with coilovers and decent tyres. And a bit more power to make up for the extra weight woudn't really break the bank (ie decat, exhaust, panel filter).

MKIII 138
just feels good to drive mostly down to acurate turn in and lightness you feel like your driving very much like the first crappy lightweight cars you own, only this one goes round corners better and has 170bhp

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
aye, stripped clio, hoof big engine in, job done. I like mine as i always lusted after a 2 lr nova/corsa, only difference is these are ment to take the engine

03 172 cup
am going to look at a172 cup on friday,its a guy off here but cant remember what he said hes username is,his names alex and hes from kettering.mota looks really tidy and its standard,think its gota be done.

03 172 cup
sorry ive seemed to have hijacked this thread but wanted to know a couple of things and why your here mate maybe you could help,rather than start a new thread.id be after a bmc induction kit for the cup and have seen it on one before but cant find anywhere that sells em for the cup,k-tech dont list em?

J

jamesy

the choice model is the cup as it is a bit quicker as minimal as it may be due to it being lighter weight as they do away with the xenon lights, side airbags, abs, ebd and air con this in return makes it cheaper than the other models but air con at the mo is a god send:D