ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of buying 172 or 182

im thinking of changing my clio for either a 172 or a 182.

i wanna know what the differences are between handling.

interiors and gadgets.

insurance costs (im 36)

depreciation.

i would appreciate input please. cheers

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by lincswhite on 29 July 2004

im thinking of changing my clio for either a 172 or a 182.

i wanna know what the differences are between handling.

Obviously the 182 is improved over the 172. new spring rates new dampers and other bits on the 182.

interiors and gadgets.

Both identical providing you get a late 172

insurance costs (im 36)

Group 16 shouldnt be problem.

depreciation.

172s are suffering really bad at the mo.

i would appreciate input please. cheers

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

There are a number of us that have traded 172s for 182s.

There is a noticable improvement (imho) and like Yugguy said, if you can stretch to a 182, then Id recommend it.

I had an 03 plated 172 and picked up my 04 plated 182 2 weeks ago, and have now covered almost 2000miles in it, loving every minute.

7.6cc :D

Depreciation will hit the 182 worse for you, as youd be buying a new car most probably, and in 2 years or so you will be in the same position as 172 owners now.

If you get a second had 172 now for about £8k then major depreciation will have already happened and you wont loose much.

All depends how much you want a new car.

Id take a long-term view and work out the canniest deal, taking depreciation into account. If a 53 reg 172 costs £10,000 against an 04 182 at £14,000 youre in effect paying £4,000 for the minor improvements.

If youre convinced that a 182 will fetch near to that £4k extra when you come to sell it, then go for it. However, IMO the difference will probably be a LOT lower and you might be better off with a 172 from the depreciation point of view.

Thats pretty much the choice I was left with - a 53 plate 172 with 14k on the clock or paying £700 more and getting a 182 import at £11,700. Went for the 182 - Im planning on keeping the car 4-5 years so hoping the import differential doesnt come into play that much. Having a sigma alarm fitted 2morrow for £200.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

If you want cup performance with all the extras the 182 is for you.

If loosing money worries you invest it and buy a runaround for £300....you will be quids in :p