ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of swapping my Scooby for a Clio

182 FF
At the moment i ve got a Bugeye Scoob and as much as i love it,it s sadly got to go as the Mrs can t get insured on it so i m only using it to go to work and back and it seems such a waste!
I quite like the 172 Cups but haven t really set my self to one kind so anyone with any pointers of which one is most recomended for 6k or less:D
Oh and on the off chance any bodys interested in the scoob it s on Pistonheadshttp://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1218501.htm

RS Megane 225F1
Yup, 172 Cup FTW for under 6k....

Unless you prefer the toys of the Full Fat.

Cheers
Lee

182 FF
Cheers mate,i m not that bothered about aircon etc and not only like the idea of them being lighter but prefer the looks with the 16 inch wheels and blue combo:D
But i ve got a soft spot for the 182 cups but it ll probably be down to what offers i get.
Any major faults to look out for on the clio sport range as it ll be my first renault after being with Jap cars for a while- Civic and Integra Type Rs Scoobys etc

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I'd go for a 182 with both Cup packs. Not quite as light as the 172 Cup, but not a million miles away, plus better suspension and more toys.

Watch out for crunching or notchy gear change, as that will end up costing, also make sure the cambelt has been done.

RS Megane 225F1
Main things are rear struts burst, keep an eye out for oil down them, exhaust snaps around 40k, engine mounts are chocolate and wiring under fuse box rots...

These are probs i had with me Cup anyhoo !!!

Cheers
Lee

My last car was a scooby i loved it to bits and spent close to £10000 on it, iv had 3 of them and nothing ever went wrong with them. But it was my every day car and as you know they love to drink, my average mpg was 11-17 mpg. Brought a 172 cup and it drinks like a diesel 35-45 mpg. Yep its no were as fast, but i dont feel guilty when i give it some stick, and they realy fun to drive.

172 clio ph1
Another previous scooby owner, had a bugeye wrx first, the a type R scooby and the 172 I have no would hold its own around twisties with the the wrx.

I really do not now regret my choice as running costs are so much lower and seems so less likely to go bang as my v4sti did after a few weeks. :(

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Going from one to the other is not so much a downgrade as a sidestep in some ways. I'd still prefer to own a standard Scooby over a 1*2 or 197 etc though, but modding them is just scary and the temptation would be too great lol

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Buy another jap car if you want the upmost reliability, if you want to buy a 172 cup and have some change in your pockets then aim to spend around £4.5k-5k on a decent one thats had the belts changed

RB 200 Cup!
I'd go for a 182 with both Cup packs. Not quite as light as the 172 Cup, but not a million miles away, plus better suspension and more toys.

Watch out for crunching or notchy gear change, as that will end up costing, also make sure the cambelt has been done.

this tbh in racing blue ;)

172 /megane cab
sold my 172 cup for a bug eye uk300 and i now drive a 172 ff and still miss my cup turst me cost me shed loads to find out how much i loved my cup do it geezer

182 FF
My main reason for wanting the Clio is due to be it being small and easy to park at work(not because i can t park a car)just because it s awful to park your car at work and long cars tend to get scuffed by passing wagons etc as whats happened to the scoob,so as the Clio is a lot shorter should have less trouble:D
And then there s the Mrs as the Insurance will cover on hot hatch type cars but not the Scoob as she s only 22!
I ve never found the running costs a problem to be honest as i regularly get 27-28 mpg driving it mixed so it s not far off my previous car which was an EP3 Civic which used to get just over 30 mpg,and Insurance is only slightly higher so it s not difficult to run probably only costing a few £ more per week!

182 FF
What are the Clio sports like on higher mileage?Around 90k plus,as i ve been offered a few higher mileage cars plus cash.The main one i m quite interested in has full renault history and all belts done etc-should the mileage put me off?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Fine, PM Fletcher off here, his has done well over 100k iirc, as has Chris172cup. There are others too :)

Clio 172 Flamer
my pevious car was a scoob, had loadsa fun in it :cool: having just as much fun in my clio 172 sport, but its a different car, so i guess its fun in a different way :D

Clio 172 Cup!
Just swaped my Subaru Type-Ra Runing 330bhp for the 172 cup It is not a scooby but it is top fun and a wicked little car! You will save a mint on juice ;) You can see mine in th Hi All post below this post!

Alan!:cool:

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
Used to have a WRX, sold it last year for a 172.. not looked back since.

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Not had a Scooby. But just to let you know what you can get for your budget, last week I bought a Titanium 182 FF '04, 31k, both Cup Packs, Mint Condition, frsh, belts done, 4 brand new PE2 tyres for under 6k, private seller.

And I'm loving it!

182 FF
Cheers for all the replys ;)
Yeah i m not to fussed whether i do a straight swop on a 182 or even a very low mileage good spec 172 cup,or a average mileage 172 and cash my way. but do have a liking for the 172 cups :evil:

182 Cup
You may or may not know that the 172 Cups are harder to insure due to the lack of ABS brakes. Some companies just won't touch them. This may not bother you, but it might when your Mrs crashes it in the rain!

182 FF
I ve heard alot of people saying how dangerous they are without ABS,but until recently most cars didn t anyway,We ve got a rover 25 diesel that s been tweaked a bit and is running around 160 bhp and 300 lb torque with no ABS and never had a problem,as thats what she mainly uses,The car is for my use mainly it would just be nice to have her on the insurance for emergencies etc.
The main reason i m wanting to swop is that as she can t drive the Scooby it only gets used to ferry me to work and back and as the parking at my works crap,a smaller car would be a lot easier to park without the risk of it being damaged :dapprove:
I know what your saying about ABS but it s not that bigger task in the event of lock up to release and re aply the brakes!
-(Even for a woman) :D

Clio 172 RS2
Hi Chris,

Did you do the swop already... or wot?
haha

A hatchback should do the trick instead of a saloon!

182 FF
I had a CTR before the Scoob and even that was longer than you think!The clio s are just nice and small so can get them in tight spaces and hopefully out of harms way :D
Basically i m a postie and the there s limited spaces as we have to get the vans out and put our cars in there place = which leads to lots of tight monouvering in small spaces and things get scuffed and pranged :dapprove: