ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thirsty Clio (172 cup) can't decide how long until empty

172 Cup
Hi,

Just a quick query to find out the accuracy of the fuel gauge and computer. I filled the car up and have got about a quarter of a tank left according to the gauge (done about 200 miles on the 3/4's used) but the computer says I can still do another 197 miles!

Not sure if the gauge or the computer are out, I'm suspecting the gauge as it got below 1/4 the other day but when filling up the car only took 30litres when I was expecting closer to 40.

Still getting used to the Clio but find this a little strange, is this a common occurrence or have we just got one that can't decide how long until empty?

2004 182FF
Its a Clio thing. Both my 1.2 and 182 did/do it.

It'll drop quickly, then slow down between 1/2 and 1/4 and then hover notch off the bottom for ages then drop down to nothing for about 30 miles till the orange light comes on which = 40 - 50 miles left.

The computer is accurate, the gauge isn't.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Thats good to know.

Out of interest, what kind of mileage are people getting out of their 172's, ours is in need of a service so probably not getting the best but would be interested what to expect once the filters are replaced.

AUDI A5 s-sline
Its a Clio thing. Both my 1.2 and 182 did/do it.

It'll drop quickly, then slow down between 1/2 and 1/4 and then hover notch off the bottom for ages then drop down to nothing for about 30 miles till the orange light comes on which = 40 - 50 miles left.

The computer is accurate, the gauge isn't.

mine does this all the time the computer seems alot more acurate then the guage! :)

GB 182 FF
computer isnt that accurate lol.

claimed I had used 7.8 gals of fuel, I put in 7.2 gals. Meh cant expect the froggies to have calibrated it that well for imperial.
Average mpg was also out too compared to the miles vs gals filled. (out a nice way ie computer said 2mpg lower than reality)

The gauge is bliss compared to that of my previous car which was a random number generator lol

Clio 197
Thats good to know.

Out of interest, what kind of mileage are people getting out of their 172's, ours is in need of a service so probably not getting the best but would be interested what to expect once the filters are replaced.

I get around 300 out of a tank (mixed driving including a 7 mile commute to work)

Dropped recently but i have put this down to the colder weather

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL. You should see the guage on my 306. It's like Stevie Wonder is describing how much fuel's in it!

Stripped yozza'd cup
My fuel economy has been s**t of the winter, most of my journeys are short and from a cold start, so I kinda let it go.
Couldn't tell you about the computer, my speedo is broken so I'm doing 0.8mpg apparently. But the fuel gauge is shocking, I could guess how many miles I've done and work it more accurately.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I like the way that just as you risk running out it stops telling you how many miles you have left. My BMW was great betting on whether you would make it to the next garage as it hit 0 miles left.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Never had any issue's with either of my clio sports. Used to get 35-45mpg from the 172 depending how I drove it, that was with de-cat aswell, same with the trophy, quite good cars on fuel IMO

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
This is very apt as I've just run out of fuel in the 182. It said I had 30 miles left but in fact I had zero. I'm a t**t.