ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This Dephaser mass failure that seams to be happening.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Thread after thread on them failing lately.

Why is this happening? Is it just pot luck? Millage thing? Seams to be mostly 172s.

I had my belts done last march, never had the dephaser changed.

My car gets serviced as per Renaults instructions so every 12k/2 years.

Also why do they fail?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Wasn't it yours that sheared off rollo? Mine needs done too, apparently they are fine with regular oil changes but mine are regular enough and still sounds like a john deere

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Think mine was the exhaust cam, no idea TBH, and what is defined as a regular oil change?

Mk5 golf gti
Always seems to be threads on them

pain in the arse

change oil every 6k (5-6 months and all should be fine) :approve:

personally change mine every 3-4 months but meh

Had mine replaced today as part of a belt change. I know its extra expense but decided it was worth replacing for peace of mind and because having to replace it seperately would be a massive pain. Car is on 73k now and the original had very slight play in it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If i still have my car on it's second belt change i will get it replaced. But didn't see the point at 30kish.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Every body that rings up queries it at the mo aswell!?!? My cup had done 80K never had one, andys has done 106K never had one!!

ITB'd MK1
it's down to people being tight about servicing IMO. stretching oil change intervals well beyond factory recommendations. Moneys got tight in the last couple of years, servicing is the first thing that suffers

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Why do lots seem to fail a month or two after a cambelt change? Thats what I dont understand

S4 Avant
it's down to people being tight about servicing IMO. stretching oil change intervals well beyond factory recommendations. Moneys got tight in the last couple of years, servicing is the first thing that suffers

So how come mine started to get rattley then Dan ;)

ITB'd MK1
I dont really understand that either, but thorough cleaning out seems to do a lot to stop it. The only one I've had to do was 18 months after a cambelt change

edit...LOL there he is now. Your cars a shed ;)

ITB'd MK1
It's actually not that unusual an issue on any switched VVT engine. the 4AGE 20v, the SR20, the K4M all have well known issues with exactly the same thing

S'trollin on size 7s
mines on 78k and the cambelts failed, so while its all apart getting re-built ive told them to replace the dephaser too. for the sake of an extra £175 or so,it makes sense, rather than few months down the line it packing in and having to fork out for the cambelt doin again just to change it

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Forever changing them on 1600's rattle on start up and engine light on, only seems to be f4r that rattle constantly on idle - different pulley. Its been happening since before 1998 on the old 2.0l espace and scenics, Renault don't learn by their mistakes!!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mines on 98K now, and on the original dephaser.

Was a company car though, so serviced to the schedule at a minimum before I got it and since its had 6 monthly oil changes by me.

alien green rs133
k4m in a clio has dephaser? s**t off.

in the megane sure

also i look after a 172 on 250k and its on original gearbox and dephaser, serviced regular seams to work a treat :D

2004 ph2 172
Well, mine's on 130K (km) with AFAIK the original depahser. I've changed the oil at regular intervals and only used oil that felt stupidly expensive (though I get the feeling after reading all this that the intervals were too large)... but DID have the cambelt done not so long ago.

It is rather tempting to flush the oil system and see what the result is: it's only a tick compared to some of the noisy rattles in some of the youchoob clips I've seen - I get the feeling that it might be "curable" :)

GB 182 FF
What happens when they 'fail' ? total disintegration, or just fixed timing one way or the other, or variable timing depending how it feels all the time?

So again, what happens if you block the feed and returns of a std setup and fit a fixed pulley at 'normal' position and then run on the OEM calibration... totally unbearable Idle or barely any worse than std as its pretty naff as is?

Mine on 51k cambelt done on '08 and dephaser needed doing this month. Took mine to JMS and they said they'd never seen one fail, but potential it could. The main thing is the noise the bloody thing makes!

Cro

Meg'd r27
So again, what happens if you block the feed and returns of a std setup and fit a fixed pulley at 'normal' position and then run on the OEM calibration... totally unbearable Idle or barely any worse than std as its pretty naff as is?

I'll grab you a photo later of the oil feed holes, it'd be a pain in the ass to block had a look the other day

Renault clio sport 172
mines gone also< luckily i have a spare one, but unsure if you have to "set the pulley up or not before i fit it?

182FF
How much does it cost to replace on a 172cup and what noise does it make? Is it a tapping noise similair to a clutch release bearing?

ibiza cupra
had mine done about 18 months ago or somthing like that and the guy at renault said hes been there for 15 years and never had to change one on the 172 as its an oil driven pullie so they dont tend to fail on them.
bet hes done a few since lol