ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tied between either 197 or Cup version

Was a 197
I decided that i'm going to either have one of the 2 cars, either brand new or not far off.

I know the differences between the 2 as well

1. Anybody got any experiences with these, regarding problems, good points, bad points etc etc

2. Anyone in the Wolverhampton area who wouldn't mind me just taking a look at one when i went to renault yesterday, the closest one they had was leicester and that is coming over so i can test drive it next week. i would like to see them in different colours as looking at them in a book/internet doesn't really do anything justice, so if anyone is willing, i'mnot asking for a test drive at all, just a viewing.

Thanks a lot for any feedback

Russ

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The big difference between a cupped 197 and a 197 cup is cost. If money's not an issue, go for a 197 with cup pack, drives identical to the 197 cup. I'd get a late R27, cup chassis, Recaro's, revised gearbox.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't see the point in having a cup tbh.

s**t interior, s**t plastics, the worst steering wheel known to man and will be dire resale in 2/3 years time.

Either get a normal 197, R27 or a 197 with cup packs.

Last edited:
  White clique
there are a few white 197s with high spec appearing now, so you can have the best of both worlds.

57 / 08 R27s and newer 08 cup packed 197s are about the same price. 08 R27s are an absolute nightmare to track down though, but these will have the better gaering ratios, even though in reality the difference isn't massive.

Swift Sport

s**t interior, s**t plastics, the worst steering wheel known to man and will be dire resale in 2/3 years time.

+1

Why settle for less? Mine's on H&R springs and I live in Cannock. I'm happy to take you a spin!

Turbo LY R27
there are a few white 197s with high spec appearing now, so you can have the best of both worlds.

57 / 08 R27s and newer 08 cup packed 197s are about the same price. 08 R27s are an absolute nightmare to track down though, but these will have the better gaering ratios, even though in reality the difference isn't massive.

It might not have better gearing tho, you waill have to find out the number of the car first, if its above 440/500 (i think) then it will have the new gearbox. tbh i dont think it makes a lot of difference tho, mines the old one and i do get good economy out of it. I dont think the 197's are that bad on fuel, just drive it sensibly if you want better mpg lol!

R27 is the best option tho.

Wouldnt bother buying new at the mo unless the deal was awsome!

White clique
^^ yeah deffo no need to buy new, plenty of them are out there now for sale.

You can easily get 30mpg combined on the 197s with the older box like mine, and thats with me doing a daily commute in traffic.

An R27 would deffo be the best option too IMO

Glanza V
alot of usefull info in this thread :) i was woundering the same as you Russbelluk but have decided on a r27 or if i cant find a good 1 a cup packed 197 which i hope to purchase late july. a couldnt condone spending 10-11k + and just get the basics ill be wanting good spec for my coin as will you i presume :)

Turbo LY R27
^^ yeah deffo no need to buy new, plenty of them are out there now for sale.

You can easily get 30mpg combined on the 197s with the older box like mine, and thats with me doing a daily commute in traffic.

An R27 would deffo be the best option too IMO

Yeah i get about the same, includes a bit if foot to the floor as well;)

Filling with v-power or any higher octane fuel is a must imo with these cars. Feels a lot better, and a definate increase in fuel range/mpg. The best i have achieved is 410 miles out of mine. That was 4 100mile runs to london, cruise control ftw:D

Audi quattro, Clio 172
A white 197 Cup with Gloss black wheels looks ace.

But air-con and Recaros are a must IMO, so it would need to be specced-up.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

+1

M135i

+1

I hate the steering wheel in the cup. The FF has a lovely chunky item.

And although keyless entry/go sounds bit pointless, once u have it u'll never know how u did without it.

I used to have an r27, but am back to normal keys in the Twingo. Lost count the number of times i try to open the door without unlocking the car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not wanting to start the usual CS war, but the prices you'll be looking at, the Meg R26 becomes an option.

clio 172 sport ph2
just go for what u think looks best and has the extras that u want (interior, air con), coz to be honest there isnt that difference performance wise!

Was a 197
From what ive been thinking and from the feedback, i'm gonna go for a 197 with the cup pack on it. The R27 are too rare, the 197s are rare as it is.

When i went to renault friday, i managed to get down to £13,700 for a brand new 197 from £15000 list price and i reckon that i could say to them if u put the cup pack in then i might take it for £13700, or if not i'll just go for the test drive on saturday, walk away and have a look at some of these websites that sell new ones on there.

Also now, my dad wants one now too, even more barganing power, i bet renault don't get many people walk in and say they want 2 197s do they???

Has anyone heard or had any experience with broadspeed.com, dealdrivers.co.uk, drivethedeal.com, autobytel.com

Cheers for the feedback so far

If you're now thinking of buying new are you not tempted to wait until May for the facelifted Clio? The GT spec publicity photos look great.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
From what ive been thinking and from the feedback, i'm gonna go for a 197 with the cup pack on it. The R27 are too rare, the 197s are rare as it is.

When i went to renault friday, i managed to get down to £13,700 for a brand new 197 from £15000 list price and i reckon that i could say to them if u put the cup pack in then i might take it for £13700, or if not i'll just go for the test drive on saturday, walk away and have a look at some of these websites that sell new ones on there.

Also now, my dad wants one now too, even more barganing power, i bet renault don't get many people walk in and say they want 2 197s do they???

Has anyone heard or had any experience with broadspeed.com, dealdrivers.co.uk, drivethedeal.com, autobytel.com

Cheers for the feedback so far

I'd speak to Marc Elgar at inchcape Renault soton, as he gives good discounts on RS models.

Was a 197
i'm gonna what else i can get out of him as i've already got £2300 off the list price, just by referring to some of the websites i listed and i still think that he WILL NOT want to lose this sale as it will be for 2 197s

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep. Its funny though, because without the Red calipers and Anthricite wheels, they look plain as hell...... In dull british weather theres nothing about them. There are some fantastic pics of Nimbus from our oversea's chums