ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tied between either 197 or Cup version

Oh right ok. Polishing dirt in is a great idea.

In any case, dirty cars look better IMO. I'd rather have a dirty white car than a black one that still looks dirty after I've cleaned it unless I spend 2 days polishing all the scratches out.

Lee

BMW M2C
Can't be arsed to give a long winded response but the Cup is hardly poverty. It's already far nicer inside than a 172/182 and massively better put together. I had the so called luxury of a 172 and 182, then went to the poverty spec Trophy, which is basically the same level of interior as the Cup, but you don't hear people slatting the Trophy interior. At no point have I ever stroked my dashboard and thought "god I wish that was softer".

There's thing a 197 Cup really lacks, electric heated wing mirrors with a blind spot mirror.

The wheel isn't as nice as in a normal 197, but believe it or not, neither is the wheel in the R26.R which is about the same size and thickness as the one in the Cup.

People saying that it's got a s**t dash with s**t plastics are basically slating the vast majority of the Clio range, as it's the same dash as most Clios!!

If you can find a nice R27 at a decent price I'd got for that. If not check out a 197 and 197 Cup and see what you think. At the very least you want to get the Cup pack on a normal 197, unless you intend to modify it, and I'd not buy without Recaros either.

I love the OTT reactions from people on here. Anyone would think driving a Cup was as bad as being arse raped dry or that they would rather cut their wrists. lol

Personally I prefer the look of the Cup, the slightly less class look suits it IMO.

BTW, I've sent you a PM regarding someone who might be able to do you a deal.

I sat in yours at Trax and thought it was pretty well put together tbh.

You actually get a 'thump' with the doors as opposed to wondering whats just fallen off inside! lol..

Interesting comment about the Trophy, Lee. I've often smiled when threads slate Cups as being poverty spec rip-offs, and yet the same people are wanking off over the Trophy. I don't think I've ever seen a Trophy get slated for having washer blanks and no xenons.

Back on the subject of Cups in general, people seem to think that cheaper is bad, and that their 182 is a limo because it has vinyl chairs and casio climate control. I'd take any 197 over a 182 chav wagon with it's plastic seats and melted steering wheel.

I sat in yours at Trax and thought it was pretty well put together tbh.

You actually get a 'thump' with the doors as opposed to wondering whats just fallen off inside! lol..

Roffle, the best example of that is the tailgate on my 182. When I close it, it feels like it's made out of old soup tins.

Lee

BMW M2C
Interesting comment about the Trophy, Lee. I've often smiled when threads slate Cups as being poverty spec rip-offs, and yet the same people are w**king off over the Trophy. I don't think I've ever seen a Trophy get slated for having washer blanks and no xenons.

Back on the subject of Cups in general, people seem to think that cheaper is bad, and that their 182 is a limo because it has vinyl chairs and casio climate control. I'd take any 197 over a 182 chav wagon with it's plastic seats and melted steering wheel.

It's double standards and people making comments purely to get a reaction most the time. The Trophy interior is identical to the Cup, only with Recaros.

I can see why people prefer the standard 197 interior, but I can live without painted plastic round the speaker grills and switches. And I don't care what people who are in my car think, plus they tend to be too scared to speak. :D

Evo
Whats so wrong with the cup steering wheel? i quite like it

So it hasnt got a red band round the top? use insulation tape lol

Lee

BMW M2C
Whats so wrong with the cup steering wheel? i quite like it

So it hasnt got a red band round the top? use insulation tape lol

It's actually a fair bit thinner. If you compare them side by side the standard wheel is nicer. But then the Megane R26.R makes do with a skinny wheel!

Evo
I was gonna buy the 197 wheel from renault for £150 for my cup. but when i took delivery of my car i really liked the feel of the normal one

Cant put it any better than Lee did really. I looked at buying both a 197 and a 197 cup, in the end I bought the cup as I didnt think a 'fullfat' 197 was worth the extra because I was buying the car to drive it, not for gadgets.

If Lee has recommended who I think he has, she is brilliant and did me a deal than the famous Mark Elgar could do!

I think the 197Cup can be had online for as little as £12,000. That's a LOT of car for the money. The high rollers seem to think paying more is better though. Personally I would go for full fat, but that's based on my current circumstances. IMO you can't go wrong a 197Cup for circa 12 large.

Was a 197
a lot is gonna come down when i test one on saturday to see whether i want some of the toys that the 197 has, or do i think that i can do without a soft touch dashboard and go the cup route.

how often do you actually touch your dashboard? not often
its a case of, do you want to spec climate control or xenons or cornering lights, and do you want push button start and keyless entry. if the answer to any of those is yes then its got to be a 197. if the answer is, no i dont want any of those then save some money and buy a cup.

Was a 197
i'm just gonna see what i can get from the guy at renault wolverhampton and renault birmingham, and whichever seems better then i'll go that way

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Cant put it any better than Lee did really. I looked at buying both a 197 and a 197 cup, in the end I bought the cup as I didnt think a 'fullfat' 197 was worth the extra because I was buying the car to drive it, not for gadgets.

If Lee has recommended who I think he has, she is brilliant and did me a deal than the famous Mark Elgar could do!

What dealership does she work at??

320d
If I was you mate, i'd wait for the facelift. Being one of the last Mk3 Ph1 197's it will depreciate far faster tha it woul have done. Look at the difference in price of a 53/04 172 to a 04 182 on average its now £1500 a few years ago it may have been more.

Just something to be aware of, for all we know the current 197 may be better than the facelift. It is a bit of gamble though.

Was a 197
when is the facelift due though

all cars depreciate anyway and thats isn't really one of the things that i'm fussed about

Was a 197
i think he's suggesting longer tbh, on the website i seen it was may 09 launch over here, but i cant see that happening

Was a 197
Right, I seem to be favouring the 197 with the cup pack on it, rather than the 197 cup, mainly to do with the creature comforts and for what you get extra aint bad for the extra dosh

God knows about my dad, i think he's just going for a 197 with black alloys in white

Was a 197
its the same with any car, but really 197s seem to be holding value pretty well for my reckoning to the prices on autotrader.

Im not too keen on the stylin for the new facelift, not sure that the proportions look, whether its just the photos i dunno, something just doesn't look right.

I do like though what they did with the normal clio 3 and turned into a hot hatch with subtle changes to the body, nothing dramatic at all.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
its the same with any car, but really 197s seem to be holding value pretty well for my reckoning to the prices on autotrader.

Thats the point they are not selling at the prices on autotrader, i've been watching for months & nothing is shifting;)