ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time for an upgrade :D 197 cup or 200?

Soo, its that time of the year where I realised my car is an absolute shed, and I'm looking at upgrading :D

Basically, I'm torn between a 197 cup and a 200. The colour is undoubtably going to be RB, but just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the pro's and cons of both.

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks

ADam

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
What about a mint R27, if i had the cash i would definetly consider one of those, in LY

im in love with RB, and these are few and far between :( did see a mint r27 for just over 8k, was in red, but interior wasnt great, recaros were ripped

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^ simple as that really, get a good low mileage cup for 8.5-9k, a good 200 would be over 10 still imo.

I have a GW 197 cup and its awesome, so with some extra ££ in your pocket you could get some coilovers like me (not fitted in these pics) ;)

DSC04809.jpg

DSC04794.jpg

What ever you do get the Recaros..... much easer to sell on with them fitted.

thats a fine 197 youve got yourself there. The cup spoiler on a 200 looks the nuts, but I think im coming round to the little flick on the back of the 197's.

Thanks for the pics, they help alot. Will probably save the money and go with the 197, probably something along the lines of this spec:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-2-0-VVT-Renaultsport-197-Cup-Pack-A-C-08-/290604757520?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2522293197821474467

thanks guys :)

260% JCW
I'd sooner put the extra pocket money towards the 200, a superior car that won't need modding.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
197/200 don't come with a spoiler. Mines the elia one, that now called a 'ktec sprint'

Cup spoiler became an option on RC Clios from 2008.

Car in the link looks ok , but has some proper gash budget tyres fitted :rolleyes:

I'd sooner put the extra pocket money towards the 200, a superior car that won't need modding.

True the 200 is better, but not night and day. A 197 be it cup or not doesn't 'need' any mods.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I Have a LY R27 for sale currently-

However not being one to scupper someones sale If I was buying and wanted RB I Would 100% buy this-
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14578

it has pretty much every option & if om honest probably better than mine-

If you do get in touch with him then let me know I forwarded the car on-

best regards
Steve
R-Sport

White clique
the hype about the 197 vs 200 has died down now IMO... people can now see the reality, which is there is hardly anything in it. Its exactly like when the 182 replaced the 172.

Steve thats a great find, thank you, certainly now thrown a spanner in the works, seems pretty sweet to know you own one of 500 :p I will let you and the seller know if I make an offer on it.

I much appreciate everyones help, a 200 is ever so slightly out of my price range. I will keep you posted on any decisions I make (or dont)

Thanks again :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
197/200 don't come with a spoiler. Mines the elia one, that now called a 'ktec sprint'

Cup spoiler became an option on RC Clios from 2008.

Car in the link looks ok , but has some proper gash budget tyres fitted :rolleyes:

True the 200 is better, but not night and day. A 197 be it cup or not doesn't 'need' any mods.

Which is better?...

Would you like me to run this by you again?

the hype about the 197 vs 200 has died down now IMO... people can now see the reality, which is there is hardly anything in it. Its exactly like when the 182 replaced the 172.

Exactly, driving a 200 cup, the nice thing is the quicker rack, really liked that. The rest, ie so so called extra torque meh, probably the difference between a good 197 and a bad 200, ie nothing

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
no worries Adam- best of luck=-

Kev- agree with you, the R27 Ive got on 29k is faster than the 200 that I had on 10k- ( Sold today :( )

S

Mini Cooper S sport
R27 without a doubt, so much better-looking!

Or an R26 if you can stretch to it. Passed an ultra red one today, it looked great.

How old are you? Insurance reasons..?

Spot on. Only 20 :D

A friend works at aviva so insurance isn't too much of an issue but still not great

Went to see a mint as hell 197 cup today, people keep mentioning R2*'s though, which keeps the search wide open for the right one.

Gonna be one hell of a step up from a 1.2 :evil:

Last edited:
where abouts are you based?

would be reassuring buying from someone on here, especially a trusted trader like yourself, if the price is right of course ;)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Im Only here today & tomorrow then hols for a week-

They are both available tomorrow to test drive, but I cannot finish the polishing prep on the R27 for then, however it doesnt effect the drive on it- just wont be perfectly polished etc

Steve

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
hi adam i dont know how to load photos but if you look at my profile you can see some pics of my ultrared197 registered may 2009 with 12k miles this came from renault croydon and was owned before from a lady from croydon. this was before i met steve who i believe to be very trustworthy and with a good knowledge of these cars, i dont like the blue car from chelmsford as it has done to many miles as im sure steve will confirm you need to check the cars history and if if does not look right walk away. ones which turn up at random garages with 18k etc are usually to good to be true and could have been crash repaired. i like my 197 its nice to drive and my wife wants a black one now hopefully more will appear at the end of the month i think the 200 new is still expensive you should be able to get the car you want for 9k max soon the good 197s will be worth more than the ragged 200s cu ian

Last edited:
Ian, thanks for the help, but as your wife seems to know, colour is essential ;) Although ultrared looks fab, Im kind of set on RB. Thats useful advice, hence why I'll probably get my dad to give the car a look over anyway just as I'll most likely get carried away.

Just drove past an LY R27, it looked LUSH. This is gonna take a serious think tonight when I get back. Need to finalise how much I can spend and go for some test drivse and then make the purchase. Currently have no idea of the feel of any of these, so this is probably something I should do sooner rather than later

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
hi adam i dont know how to load photos but if you look at my profile you can see some pics of my ultrared197 registered may 2009 with 12k miles this came from renault croydon and was owned before from a lady from croydon. this was before i met steve who i believe to be very trustworthy and with a good knowledge of these cars, i dont like the blue car from chelmsford as it has done to many miles as im sure steve will confirm you need to check the cars history and if if does not look right walk away. ones which turn up at random garages with 18k etc are usually to good to be true and could have been crash repaired. i like my 197 its nice to drive and my wife wants a black one now hopefully more will appear at the end of the month i think the 200 new is still expensive you should be able to get the car you want for 9k max soon the good 197s will be worth more than the ragged 200s cu ian

Cheers Ian for the comments-

Im sure I will be Pming you when the next 200 comes in if its black!
should have taken this in trade when it was offered to me

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3006790.htm

S