ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To Much Air

Hi,

I am going to be "modding" my airbox today, or at least getting the parts for it. I was wondering, as I am going to replacing the air feeds into it with cold air ones, and making my own air ducts to suck the air into the engine bay (not going for bonnet scoops, I am putting stuff behind the bumper). Anyway I was wondering if its possible to have to big a scoop and suck in too much air. Its go nowhere really to go apart from down into the engine, so might I be putting to much air in if the scoops to big. Or is this not really an issue because induction kits are pretty much free flow and they dont have much of a problem.

Paul

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

no, there is no chance of getting more air into the engine than the inlet manifold will allow, unless youre using forced induction

Clio Williams2

if anything could just cause unnoticable extra drag. I connected alumnium tumble dryer exhaust type tubing as you can manipulate the ends to fit through the gaps to the side of the radiator in the 2 front grills, I had to cut a plastic guard off 1st though (runs down side of radiator). Doesnt seem to have made much difference but Ive got an open induction kit so will still be sucking in the hot air. Gonna try a standard box after cleaning ma IK.

Its sounds similar to what I am doing. I will be taking pictures of each stage so I can show you lot how to do it.

Paul

Well its done, and it looks fantastic. Took a bit longer than I thought because I went for 2 feeds instead of 1. The easier 1 took 5 mins to fit, the other one 3 hours. My bro went to town on the cold/hot air switch and butchered it to make a very nice connection for my piping....so to speak. It looks brilliant and there is so much more air comming in now.....just got to test it on the open road, see what happens then!

Paul

ps Didnt take photos as I dont have a digi camera and I didnt have a spare film. Oh well never mind, I might draw diagrams if people are really interested.

Clio Williams2

I have too say I ripped out my tumble dryer piping this morning as clios been at Renault today and I was 2 embarresed with the cheap, bodge look style. Im sure it made the engine feel smoother, perhaps was the change in sound, but thinking about it I took it for a spin earlier and it did feel a bit sluggish. I think the piping helped my filter not to underperform, after sitting at lights etc and its gonna have to go back, maybe with more apropriate tubing...

I am sure its helping. I was ragging it about yesterday, as it was all working properly again, and it felt so much better than it did before. Especially at WOT. Also with the window down its got a nice, but a bit quite, whistle to it now.

Paul