ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To sell or store?

In a dilemma on whether to sell or store the FF for the winter. The car wont be used now until April/May next year but I plan on moving it on anyway late next year for a new project. If I store I'd probably only do 2 track days then move it on anyway. Thing is we're saving for a house deposit so not even sure I'll get to do anymore track days next year anyway depending on how much we can get together for the deposit, heart is saying keep, head is saying sell and bank the cash.

What would we say its worth?

04 Titanium 182 FF (good-average condition for age)
103K miles
Not much history before me and no receipt of belts being done (runs well, slight dephaser noise when warm, timing belt looks new)
2 sets of wheels (1 x OZ f1 15s with RS3/1 x OZ/Sparco RT523 15s with r888s)
Fatty induction
Scorpion cat-back with decat
Brand new cup shocks on new APEX/AMAX springs
Scenic gear stick mod
camber bots set-up to 2.5 degrees on hunter alignment with printout
Recent rear discs, bearings and pads (Renault OE)
HC front discs with CL5+ pads
Full service done recently less than 1k miles ago (gearbox oil, oil, oil filter, brake fluid etc) all with ECP receipts
Recent new No 3 injector with ECP receipt
New rear exhaust hangers
Braided lines (to fit)
Spare new front discs (MTEC grooved/dimpled)
2 x sets of spare new front pads (Mintex OE and Ferodo premier OE)
New Renault OE NSR ABS sensor fitted
Spare front callipers and carriers
Few other spare parts that I cant remember...

Listerine & Poledo
Moreover, what's it worth TO YOU.
And will the few £k generated from selling an 11yr old Renault make a useful dent in your house saving plan?

Do you have somewhere to store it? If so, may as well, because once you've sold it, it'll cost you a lot more to get it back again. You've done the work to get it how you wanted it, and that isn't going to be to everyone's tastes either so don't think it's a gateway to a massive price increase from the book. Those who want the mods will be "enthusiast" enough to want to pay you nothing, and those who see modified cars as just breakdowns waiting to happen, they wont go near it.

But you want it and you've got it, so whack it on SORN, secure it and go back to it when you can. Because you can. :smile:

Last edited:
If you can find somewhere cheap or know someone with a yard you could dump it there and forgot about it then come back to it later on.

Shame if you get rid as it was going well at oulton on Saturday. But needs must and getting on the property ladder can be hard.

Moreover, what's it worth TO YOU.
And will the few £k generator from selling an 11yr old Renault make a useful dent in your house saving plan?

Do you have somewhere to store it? If so, may as well, because once you've sold it, it'll cost you a lot more to get it back again. You've done the work to get it how you wanted it, and that isn't going to be to everyone's tastes either so don't think it's a gateway to a massive price increase from the book. Those who want the mods will be "enthusiast" enough to want to pay you nothing, and those who see modified cars as just breakdowns waiting to happen, they wont go near it.

But you want it and you've got it, so whack it on SORN, secure it and go back to it when you can. Because you can. :smile:
Yep got somewhere to store it safely, as you say the £1000-15000 wouldn't make much of a dent in our deposit goal at the minute. Just don't want it be sat there rusting away not being used next year then have to sell it anyway to make up our deposit or pay solicitor fees or what have you.

Can I just get this out there fellas no parts are for sale at the moment and if or when that they are I'd put them in the for sale section. Should have thought this through with all the CS vultures, lol.

How much for the braided lines?
Vulture,_Ruppell's_CarolFoil.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Yep got somewhere to store it safely, as you say the £1000-15000 wouldn't make much of a dent in our deposit goal at the minute. Just don't want it be sat there rusting away not being used next year then have to sell it anyway to make up our deposit or pay solicitor fees or what have you.
In the grand scheme of house financing, you'll piss that £1500 up the wall in no time at all and it wont make dent..
And then you'll be left penniless and with no toy car.
May as well be very slightly more penniless and keep the toy

Listerine & Poledo
Whats the deal on storing these for 6+ months?

Full tank of fuel
Oil change
Up on stands
Block the exhaust
Cover

Anything else?

Maybe not so much the full tank of fuel, it'll only degrade whilst it's in there

Silica packs would be a great move

You said you wanted to move onto another project anyway, and this thread tells me your not 110% dedicated to keeping it ;)

Why put good parts to waste away lol.

I personally wouldn't think to much with storing it long term, cars don't generally like being parked up in my experience despite best efforts. Is it a track only car or is it road as well.

If road, I would just drive it once a week to keep everything moving etc

You said you wanted to move onto another project anyway, and this thread tells me your not 110% dedicated to keeping it :wink:

Why put good parts to waste away lol.

I personally wouldn't think to much with storing it long term, cars don't generally like being parked up in my experience despite best efforts. Is it a track only car or is it road as well.

If road, I would just drive it once a week to keep everything moving etc
Track only mate and that's the worry coming back to it in 6 months and I can't get it to start then it's totally worthless. I know just starting a car and letting it idle for a while every so often is actually worse than just leaving it for long periods.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
If it's a choice between selling now and selling in 6 months I'd get rid of it now.

You won't have to worry about storing it, you won't have to insure it, nor will you have the potential hassle and cost of bringing it back to life after storage. Sure, it might fire first time or it might need a few hundred quid spending on it to get it ready for sale.

Why bother? If it's good to go now then move it on now. If it doesn't sell then take that as a sign. I'm just not seeing the benefit of keeping it.

If you were planning to keep it long term, then fair enough lay it up, but as its a track car and you've already decided to move on, get shot of it. I've done it both ways and in 2 years time youll be powerwashing moss off it and trying to get it started and hating spending £300 on servicing and tyres for a car you're only going to sell. Get it gone whilst its in good nick. Clios are ten a penny anyway, so if you do change your mind, its not like its hard to find another.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Clio's are ten a peny now, at the current rate they are being broken in 2 years they may be rare!
If you're going to sell it next year for a new project you may as well sell it now while it's in good running order. I just hope it sells to someone who will drive it.

Listerine & Poledo
Mothball it and sell it on in a couple of years time when another 15% of the rolling stock has been cubed/broken/barrel-rolled.
;)

phase 1 flamer 172
Sell it, you don't seem too bothered about it, it will deteriate ?? if stored, every penny counts when buying a house and the other half will be impressed.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just told the missus I'm thinking of selling up and she said "no, no you're not, you'll just buy another in 6 months. I'm not letting you seriously, you love that car" hahaha, that's that then....
My Mrs said the exact same thing. She almost begged me not to sell it.

#keepers lol

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Keep it mate it seems a decent car, TBH I was thinking the same as you a few weeks ago because mine will be laid up for till April but took it out for a blast and love the noise so getting a cover this weekend and sorting a few little upgrades for next year,,,

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just told the missus I'm thinking of selling up and she said "no, no you're not, you'll just buy another in 6 months. I'm not letting you seriously, you love that car" hahaha, that's that then....

There are pluses to being under the thumb

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I'd say keep it. Like everyone else has said, the smiles per ££'s you get is so hard to match.....and anyway, my local renault garage don't take kindly to sniffing their cars.....

172 Turbo
Whats the deal on storing these for 6+ months?

Full tank of fuel
Oil change
Up on stands
Block the exhaust
Cover

Anything else?
I don't even do that, I put mine away in May, pulled it out in October took it for an MOT a mile away and drove to Belguim the next weekend