ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too much material on new rear pads

E46 M3
Got some no name rear pads from halfords for my 182. Tried to fit them yesterday, with the piston fully wound back there is not enough room for them, like there is too much braking material. There is also no nipple to locate into the piston, will this matter?

Ive lost the receipt so it seems sanding some material off is the only solution.

Any ideas?

clio 172
u defo defo sure the piston is all the way back in? out of curiosity how thick is the material on the pad? u got a riuler to measure pad thicknes and also pad + backing thickness?

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
You sure they're the right padsr? IIRC halfords don't list any for the clio 1*2, so I bought some for a 306/205 GTi (same caliper design) and they fitted fine...

Golf GTD Mk7
The carrier itself moves back and forth mate. You need to push it out (away from the car). Mine was a b**ch to move on one side. Obviously screw the piston in all the way though.

E46 M3
Rich - Im not sure there the right pads no, they had to order them in. They just say renault on the box, the packing plate is the right size/shape though. (I'll just steal yours as your Vtecing JDM yo all over the place ;))

The piston is all the way back in, it goes in then just turns - doesnt go in any further, same both sides. The backing plate on the new pads is slightly thicker than the old (bendix) pads. I'll measure the material thickness when I get home.

Jonny - I know how brakes work :rasp:

Fred - I'll get pics of everything (and the mrs if your lucky) tonight

Golf GTD Mk7
Rich - Im not sure there the right pads no, they had to order them in. They just say renault on the box, the packing plate is the right size/shape though. (I'll just steal yours as your Vtecing JDM yo all over the place ;))

The piston is all the way back in, it goes in then just turns - doesnt go in any further, same both sides. The backing plate on the new pads is slightly thicker than the old (bendix) pads. I'll measure the material thickness when I get home.

Jonny - I know how brakes work :rasp:

Fred - I'll get pics of everything (and the mrs if your lucky) tonight

I'm sure you do;), but on my rear left, the carrier moved back and fourth freely, but on the rear left it wouldn't move at all and I struggled to get the pads in as you're saying

E46 M3
Definitely no binding in the carriers.

The backplate is 5mm+paint (5.1mm-5.3mm) with 8.9mm of friction material. Does this sound about right?

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh sounds about right. What pads are they? I thought halfords only did Ferodo and their own brand? I've used both before and they had the nipple on them. You may have the wrong ones..