ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top mount sitting rather high

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I know this has been done a fair bit but...

Fitted a new Febi topmount kit with the newer version combined nut/spacer, and now the top hats are sitting really a lot higher than I'd have thought was right.

Everything has been fitted in the correct order and the bearings are the right way round. Its standard cup shocks with Eibach springs.

15896314233894817041679259819322.jpg
15896314479952208027002687236500.jpg

Both sides are the same, theres no knocking and steering seems perfectly fine......it just doesnt look right 🤔

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
You don’t need the new spacer with the febi mounts. It’s only for the Renault ones as they changed them.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
You don’t need the new spacer with the febi mounts. It’s only for the Renault ones as they changed them.
I had no spacer at all! I seems the previous owner used the top hat to secure it all so had it like this:

Spring
Spring top
Bearing
Top mount rubber
No spacer No securing nut
Top hat holding it all together.

The Febri kit comes with the bearing, rubber doughnut and top hat, so I had to buy the nut/spacer from RPD as a separate item as it's not part of the kit

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
So there wasn’t a nut holding the spring cup on?

I’m afraid you’ll need a standard nut instead of one with the spacer built in to lose the huge gap, or buy Renault top mounts.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So there wasn’t a nut holding the spring cup on?

I’m afraid you’ll need a standard nut instead of one with the spacer built in to lose the huge gap, or buy Renault top mounts.
Ah, bugger. I couldnt find the original version of the nut through Renault which is why I ended up with the modified version 🤦‍♂️

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Stick a wanted post up on here and I’m sure someone will have some, or know where to get some from.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
@Fishfire

You could get the correct items from eBay.

There is an aftermarket updated top mount kit available for £15 a side including the modified 27mm nut/spacer which is well worth paying the delivery charge for.

It is part numbered as 543A0030R rather than 543A09780R, as that is the Kangoo number, but they are identical.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Awsome.....worth while getting the full kit it seems. I paid £15 for each of those nuts 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thought I'd read up on all this before buying the bits. Ah well, lesson learnt!

Much thanks for the help