ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

top strut nut

Clio Mk2 Ph1
my top strut nut is really siezed up and for the life of me i cannot get it off. soaked it in wd40 last night and went at it with a 5ft breaker bar today but still wont budge. any other ideas? all i could possibly think of is heating it up :S

also where would i be able to get 2 replacement nuts for it? is renault the only place?

Clio Mk2 Ph1
but how am i meant to use that because i have to put an allen key in the top to hold it in place while i turn the nut

330i. E30 Touring.
Take it to a local garage.

Most will spin it off for free, it's such a quick job!

Clio Mk2 Ph1
ok thanks, anyone know where i can get a new nut for it? would a basic diy place be able to match it?

DMS

A thirsty 172
but how am i meant to use that because i have to put an allen key in the top to hold it in place while i turn the nut

You don't HAVE to put an allen key in the top to hold it in place I don't think. I undid mine with the correct sized socket bit and a regular ratchet like you'd find in any socket set, and you can't use an allen key on it at the same time.
I don't know why there's an allen key hole at the top... something to do with adjusting the tracking possibly?

330i. E30 Touring.
If you don't use an allen key the shock insert will spin.

A buzz gun's the best way.

clio 182
Had exactly same problem yesterday, wouldnt budge even with a buzz gun was well and truly seized solid. Ended up cutting down vertically with a grinder.

New nut from the dealers was £21!!