ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Tyres - Feedback and Recommendations

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Just did a hot day at Combe yesterday on some well worn A048's I was very impressed with them once I got the pressures right. I think they felt as good as 888's

M2 Comp
Good stuff. I have his mobile if you get stuck

That's good to know - if he doesn't come back through Facebook, I'll drop you a PM. Thanks again.

One of the last few bits I need before I can get my Trophy MOT'd and first track day booked ('only' been off the road a year and a half!!!).

Works 210 & MR2
Is anyone running 195/55 on their 15s?

just getting a set of TD 1.2s refurbished at moment and looking for some proper dry weather tyres.

seen some A048Rs for a good price but they are 195/55/15 and most people seem to mention 195/50 on 15s?

Cheers.

Clio 172
Is anyone running 195/55 on their 15s?

just getting a set of TD 1.2s refurbished at moment and looking for some proper dry weather tyres.

seen some A048Rs for a good price but they are 195/55/15 and most people seem to mention 195/50 on 15s?

Cheers.
Do the maths. 195*0.55 - 195*0.5. That will give you the difference in sidewall height. The 55 profile will be a higher sidewall height so acceleration will suffer but top speed will theoretically increase (if you can get there). The 55 profile will probably not feel as good as the 50, but it depends. I assume clearance will be ok.

So not the best tyre size for the Clio, but if they're really, really cheap and you just want to start then they would be ok, just. Personally, I'd go for a 195/50 and forget the 195/55, unless they're effectively free! I'd prefer a used PS3 in the right size.

Works 210 & MR2
Thanks for you reply.

But my question is more has anyone run these size tyres on a Clio without major issue? my cars is on standard shocks and eibach springs.

I completely understand the points you have made and they are very valid but I am not a racer looking to optimise everything for the final tenth of a second, just your average joe trackday goer looking for the best rubber at a decent price to enjoy running my car for as little as possible

wouldn't exactly be putting used PS3s in the same list as A048Rs whatver the profile difference.

Cheers.

M2 Comp
Struggling to get hold of four AD08R's in 205/45/16 at a reasonable price. I've tried the guy on Facebook but he's not sure when he'll have any (he did quote me £340 for 4 though, which is a bargain). Anywhere that does have them in stock Is charging £25-30 more than what I saw them for a few weeks back... I'm getting impatient now and considering trying something else. Do people still use the 595 RS-R's? I can get a set of them for £270ish...

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone know the best place to get AD08R's in 195/50/15 just now? Used to go with tyreleader at 60-65 quid a corner but they're over £100 each now! Demon Tweeks is the cheapest I can find at £70 each.

Clio 172
If you just want to get out and play then there's nothing wrong with PS3s. The Ginetta Junior Championship uses them and so do I. I've beaten loads of people on 1B tyres with my PS3s in the "standard" class in Sprints. Way cheaper than a 1B or 1C tyre and if you're starting/just want to build experience then they're fine. I'm liking the look of the proposed "standard" classes in Hillclimbs and Sprints for next year, only list 1A tyres allowed, so I'll be staying with my PS3S.

M2 Comp
A quick heads up for anyone wanting AD08R's; Ben Patey (on Facbeook), who a few members have recommended above, will soon be getting the following stock...
update on supply dates for the yokohoma
195/50/15 (32 arriving) 17/07/16
205/45/16 (28 arriving) 17/07/16
205/50/15 (32 arriving) 26/07/16
215/45/17 (23 arriving) 12/07/16
235/40/18 (8 arriving) 29/06/16

I've put a deposit down for 4 x 205/45/16, which at £340 delivered is significantly cheaper than anywhere else!

focus rs, Ph1 172
Tommo, do you know if there are set prices for these tyres? specifically 195/50/15? Is it maybe worth getting Ben to set up his tyre deals as a trader/group buy/discount through the forum as I am sure a lot of folk will be interested if the prices are good?

Clio cup 172
Just out of interest has anyone for instance done a day on some cheap pony tyres for a few quid then some ok ones then some mega expensive track ones maybe im seeimg this differnrly but surely if your not competing aslong as the tyres domt blow out an kill you aint you better off just buying ok ones an spemdimg the extra money on more track days

Clio cup 172
Is that because it makes it less enjoyable with a lesser tyre or just a financial opinion on it i did the london marathon 3 years ago and i used £40 nike trainers ok maybe if id of had £120 asics running shoes id of done it quicker but i wasnt racing anyone so the spare money i added to my go fund me total am i seeing this in the wrong light are people very competitive even tho there not competing is there a certain kind of click like an unwritten rule where your expected to acheive a set time or standard

Clio cup 172
The cost dosnt faze me im fortunate enough not to have to worry about it i just wondered for people who are on a budget isnt it better off getting more track time than say a few seconds quicker or having a certain brand to say oh i have these on my car

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
if you book a £150 trackday, then use w**k tyres and spend half of the day trying to keep yourself on the track then you'll hate it

I'd much rather find the limit of the car giving its head a kicking rather than it want to fly off and understeer on the first corner

Clio cup 172
Oh ok i see i was presuming that you just get better an better an overcome any issues like the footballer pele he learnt to play football kicking mangos with bear feet i suppose its personal preference i guess like you can by say a £500 mini or a £50000 bmw you will do a faster lap in the bmw even if your 17 years old an only past your test last week

The cost dosnt faze me im fortunate enough not to have to worry about it i just wondered for people who are on a budget isnt it better off getting more track time than say a few seconds quicker or having a certain brand to say oh i have these on my car
I just buy used decent track tyres. Usually get a set for £100-200 in 15".

Clio cup 172
I see is that because they would be say £400 new and second hand track tyres are better than new £150 road tyres

Clio cup 172
I suppose its all down to the individual and what your trying to achieve quickest lap or most skill or whatever but i can imagine if your battling with the car getting grip your having to use different skills and probably not being able to go as quick

I suppose its all down to the individual and what your trying to achieve quickest lap or most skill or whatever but i can imagine if your battling with the car getting grip your having to use different skills and probably not being able to go as quick
Thing with budget road tyres they limit the time you can have out in track. They wear much, much quicker and with this overheat which makes them greasy and no fun.

Clio cup 172
Oh ok i see but is it not fun trying to still get round with them on as its not competitive i think maybe im a little different to other people or less competitive the car ive bought has track tyres but im quite interested to see the difference so ive got a set of what are called budget tyres an a set of dunlop tyres im gona try all 3 an see

Swift Sport
Just out of interest has anyone for instance done a day on some cheap pony tyres for a few quid then some ok ones then some mega expensive track ones maybe im seeimg this differnrly but surely if your not competing aslong as the tyres domt blow out an kill you aint you better off just buying ok ones an spemdimg the extra money on more track days
The main problem I found using cheaper road tyres is it knackers the tread up, and rounds the shoulders off them because they don't have the rigidity in the sidewalls. Other than that, yeah a normal road tyre isn't too bad depending on tyre and car brand.