ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Transmission Mount (K4M)

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
The rubber bushing in my lower transmission / engine mount has gone. Renault want £40 for a replacement, which I consider a bit steep!

Are there any alternatives, like replacing just bushing with some kind of silicone/utherane sealent or a rubber donut. Or is there a cheaper pattern one I can use? Ktec only list mountings for the 172/182 not my K4M.

330i. E30 Touring.
Braver man than me if you start attempting to make your own mounts! They're going to be under a fair amount of stress. For the sake of £40, I'd stump up and get a Renault one..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You want to make your own mount out of sealant rather than pay £40 for a proper one?!

Good luck with that.

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
I appreciate any advice you can give.

Unfortunatly I dont think I explained the mount properly.

This one attaches the rear underside of the tranny to the sub frame, and looks a bit like a malformed dog bone, the beam is thermoplastic.

It (unfortunatly) does not look like this http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2517

The flexible bushing is about only 25mm dia 15mm width and does not look particularly robust. Frankly the rubber in there is perished to the extent that I could put one of those synthetic corks from a wine bottle in there and it would do a better job for the time being.

A few years ago I had a car with floppy main engine mounts. I found some 'no more nails' on special offer in Wilcos and injected all the mounts with the stuff, it made the car drive significantly better. I was told this trick by a guy who rallied the same car.

Based on this it does not seem totally outlandish that I could use the same sort of technique for a smaller bushing.

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
I am stubborn and like experimenting so I have ordered some polyurethane resin with ~24hr cure time.

I shall report back with the results so you can all laugh at me when I fail :clown:

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Well, ahem.. it cost £40 posted, lol. Pity as I found several places selling it much cheaper in the states.

However, I should still get value by using it for exhaust mounts, and the top transmission mount which I suspect is perished.

Last edited:
  330i. E30 Touring.
I just don't think it will.

Companies like Renault pour millions into developing products that work with each other, and in most cases are the best they can be.

I can't see how you spending £40 on some posh glue will beat that.

I'll happily admit i'm wrong if you prove it to work well, though!

BMW M135i
I mean this in the nicest possible way but the tightness of some people astounds me, and this has a dollop of stupidity on too mmm nice. £40 to solve the problem or £40 wasted then £40 to solve the problem hmm.

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Firstly, if anybody would be so kind to answer I have a question. Are there just 3 engine mounts, front left, front right and dogbone; or is there another on top of the transmission at the rear? I have not had the chance to get the car on ramps to check, because of work!
As I previously mentioned, I bought the stuff because I have a lot more than just the dogbone to fix.

• Rear Exhaust Hanger £12
  • Front Exhaust Hanger £8
  • Dogbone £40
  • Other mounts £???
Furthermore, I get to replace all the rubbers with something a bit firmer; something I want. The yield of repairs I am getting for my £40 of goop, and improved quality makes sense to me [ if it works :lol: ]

As a footnote - I am a bit surprised/disappointed and about how judgemental people have been in their responses, without undertaking any analysis first; and lack of spirit of adventure exhibited to boot.

Last edited:
  RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
I did a few weeks ago it and it worked. :rasp:

I awaited the delivery of the flexane for a very long time, and then had to do the job in a hurry, so I did not take decent pics.

The mount definitely firmer than stock - nice crisp gear changes now, and not much louder.

I used the flexane to fix the two main exhaust hangers too, as they were trashed. and I still had a bunch left over.

Attachments

• flexy.jpg
    flexy.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 37
  RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Just dropping in to report a year on the mount is working fine with no visual signs of any deterioation. I'd recommend this as an uprating of the mount for non sport cars where the powerflex bushings are not availible. I'd have got better value out of it if I was more organised and used the batch of flexane to fill the other two mounts.

Twingo RS 133 Cup
what's that stuff and where to get it? I've worn my second dogbone in less than two years with my twingo RS and powerflex still doesn't get active or seeing a market in those bits :)

Trophy Turbo :)
Firstly, if anybody would be so kind to answer I have a question. Are there just 3 engine mounts, front left, front right and dogbone; or is there another on top of the transmission at the rear? I have not had the chance to get the car on ramps to check, because of work!
As I previously mentioned, I bought the stuff because I have a lot more than just the dogbone to fix.

• Rear Exhaust Hanger £12
  • Front Exhaust Hanger £8
  • Dogbone £40
  • Other mounts £???
Furthermore, I get to replace all the rubbers with something a bit firmer; something I want. The yield of repairs I am getting for my £40 of goop, and improved quality makes sense to me [ if it works :lol: ]

As a footnote - I am a bit surprised/disappointed and about how judgemental people have been in their responses, without undertaking any analysis first; and lack of spirit of adventure exhibited to boot.

Ill be blunt mate, WELL DONE FOR TRYING.

If you listen to half the people on here there sucked into a line of BUY THIS BUY THIS, SPEND A FORTUNE HERE AND THERE, That wont work!!! but get that, andf this.

The problem is people on here is that people dont do things there selves and just get the garages to do it so dont have a clue! Or buy a part that has 3000000% profit on it instead doing some thing different.

Good on you, if it doesnt work then at least you can say you tryed it! but in this case you can kindly lift your middle finger up at all that said "£ just buy a mount for £200000000million pounds cos it wont work " ;) Well done

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
what's that stuff and where to get it? I've worn my second dogbone in less than two years with my twingo RS and powerflex still doesn't get active or seeing a market in those bits :)

Hi Fredii. The stuff I bought is this.
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Devcon%20Flexane%20Liquid%20Urethanes

I found USA retailers selling no-brand stuff which is exactly the same material for 1/3rd the price - but could not source it in the UK.

When I did the job a majority of my time was spent removing the old material and prepping the surfaces with sandpaper to ensure a good bond - the rest was quick. I just used fabric tape wrapped around the mount to make the mould, poured in the goop and popped it in the oven at a low heat for a couple of hours to help it set.

The product comes in two parts which are mixed to start the curing process (just like epoxy), but they must be measured very precicely which is easy to when you use the full bottle but hard to measure if you use just part. The best thing to do would be to find other people who need their mounts doing and share the batch - I guess you would get 4/5 mounts from 500ml.

Also thanks for the positive feedback Andy :) Exactly the same thing happened when I posted an induction system I made from tumble dryer hose and a paint tin. Some flamed because it looked like crap - others praised because it was something that worked well for >£5.