ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tried WRC aircon delete - belt is now floppy as anything!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/wrc-air-con-delete-diy-for-under-£50.667892/

I followed that using the exact same items, belt is lovely and straight. De-tensioned the tensioner and there is a lot of slack in the belt, its nowhere near tight enough.

Can I adjust the belt somewhere else?

When i've tightened the bolts holding the bracket on should I have kep the really long bolt to the alternator loose so that it can move freely ? I assume not.

Thanks

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
This is the tensioner (ignore bolt sticking out) to me that looks like it's compressed when it shouldn't be!

28571789735_680615690f_b.jpg
2016-07-26_10-36-03 by dann2707, on Flickr

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I had to move the whole bracket underneath the alternator to fit this new pulley. when doing so I had to undo the circled bolt, when fitting this back together I tightened that bolt tight.

My thinking now is that it should be loose to allow the tensioner to be able to move for it to actually work as a tensioner if that makes sense? Can anyone confirm?

2012-10-12225950_zpsuilxsvzo.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
That Allen key headed bolt on the tensioner needs to be tight Dan,
The bush that it runs through should rotate freely,
If it doesn't then the bush is seized and the tensioner needs replacing
Mine had done the same when I removed it,

Taken from when I did mine

This is a picture of the tensioner i removed it was 36k miles and 3 years old and was completely seized on the collar pointed out in the picture which is a very good reason to listen to renaults advice on the changing of these at 36k,
this is the kit I got off ebay to replace it and included everything i needed, 1 x belt, 1 x idler pulley 1 x tensioner
image.jpeg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That Allen key headed bolt on the tensioner needs to be tight Dan,
The bush that it runs through should rotate freely,
If it doesn't then the bush is seized and the tensioner needs replacing
Mine had done the same when I removed it,

Taken from when I did mine

This is a picture of the tensioner i removed it was 36k miles and 3 years old and was completely seized on the collar pointed out in the picture which is a very good reason to listen to renaults advice on the changing of these at 36k,
this is the kit I got off ebay to replace it and included everything i needed, 1 x belt, 1 x idler pulley 1 x tensioner
View attachment 161225

Cheers dave, I'll look to see if i can collect one tonight. I don't suppose you know the distance of the two bolts when the spring is relaxed? Do you think mine looks like it's compressed even when it's not on my above pic?

If I could get a reference of how they're supposed to be ill measure mine.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
The measurement I gave you off mine was from a tensioner that was removed when having the cambelt changed and all tensioners and pulleys replaced due to bearing noise, turned out it was a shagged water pump so the tensioner should be in okay condition. Im assuming the measurement is correct!!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't have one in the garage to measure Dan,
around £65 for the kit isn't it?
It is yeah, the tensioner by itself is a lot more. How very strange!

The measurement I gave you off mine was from a tensioner that was removed when having the cambelt changed and all tensioners and pulleys replaced due to bearing noise, turned out it was a shagged water pump so the tensioner should be in okay condition. Im assuming the measurement is correct!!

Yeah mate yours was similar to mine, thanks again for that.

Turns out my tensioner is working fine, it's got movement of around 8mm all in all from nothing to as tight as I dare go with the jubilee clip.

I think the belt from the guide is just way too long despite it being 22mm shorter than standard.

I'm going to get a belt tomorrow (1620mm) so that's 42mm shorter than standard and see if that tightens up as it should.