ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy, 197, or R26?

TT 225+
Evening.

So I am going to finish uni in april, and have a job waiting for me when I finish. I am after something to replace my trusty 1.2 with, I have owned it for 3 years and built my no claims up. I'm 21 so insurance isn't too bad for any of them.

Looking to spend anything from 5-8k, and the 182 trophy, 197 and meg R26 are all within this price range. mpg isnt really an issue, neither are overall running costs, I'm buying a performance car. My mrs is a 2hr drive away so needs to be reasonably comfy. Been on coilovers the last 2 years so i guess any will be an improvement! I just dont know what to get really, so after some opinions?

Thanks.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If your regularly travelling 2 hours each way then probably the R26. Comfy cruiser, thats fast and handles well, cheap to get more power too.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I would amend that choice to

trophy, R27 or R26-

With that budget MINT wise
5.5-6k mint trophy
7.5-8k Mint R27
8 ++ Mint R26

Depends what type of drive you would be after-- R26 turbo & comfy cruiser-easy to tune, the Clios- a bit slower but easier to throw about-

S

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I've had no experience of the mk3 clios so can't say much but out of those I'd personally feel that the megane would be the better choice

TT 225+
Speed and drive; I have only ever owned my 1.2 so any of them will feel like a rocket ship!

Would be an R27 for me. Unless you're 40 or have back problems it'll be plenty comfy enough for a 2 hour journey. I've done plenty in my cupped 200 which some people would have you believe is as uncomfortable as sitting on a skateboard for the entire journey, and an R27 will be a little softer than that.

As above have a drive in all of them, personally i'd go for the trophy :). Main reason being the rarity factor and being such great little cars to track or use daily.

Z4
Nothing wrong with any of the options, they're all good at different things, it would be the r26 or trophy ideally.
Why limit yourself to Renault though?! Bmw z4 3.0?

TT 225+
Nothing wrong with any of the options, they're all good at different things, it would be the r26 or trophy ideally.
Why limit yourself to Renault though?! Bmw z4 3.0?

looked at E46 330's, do fancy one but reckon ill get bored of it, maybe after the next, and a convertible is a no-no for me, just don't like them lol cheers though!

New shape civic type r's are nice cars.

they are (sort of) on my list!

CLK230K

#curveball

convertible iirc?

M2 Comp
I would say an R26, but then it comes down to personal preference really. I'd do as others have suggested and try them out...

Lotus Elise
Nope but we know a few people who can, Renault have also massively reduced the price of new one though ;)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I have one with the dampers already done-

But chances are its selling this weekend!
S

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
Having now changed to a Focus ST3 from my Clio 182.... I would say Turbo Power is definitley the way forward, easy usable power and good handling on the R26 with the diff.

PB Clio 172
New shape civic type r's are nice cars.

oh no they are not ! :rasp: horrible ride, sits too high on the revs on the motorway, crap mpg, heavy etc. just dont like them ! oh and a horrible shape looks like an inflatable ring !

I would wait a while till you get settled in the job before you go and blow it all on a car !

Audi A5
With these cars the main factor is do you like to thrash your cars if so one of the Clios is for you if not the meg then. I'm in the same boat as you, I have drove all three of the cars on your list and imo the meg is so much more fun the only thing is insurance. I'm due to renew in Feb and if I can get a decent quote I'll get a meg with out a second thought.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I had a meg, got a trophy and looked at getting an R27. They were all within 5% of each other insurance wise!

TT 225+
I had a meg, got a trophy and looked at getting an R27. They were all within 5% of each other insurance wise!

yeah I've found insurance pretty similar, meg being slightly more expensive but its not an issue. TBH im leaning more towards the R26, purely because they are the same price to buy as an R27 and its more practical/quicker. I think the R27 is much better looking though.

I'm just thinking that if I jump straight from a 1.2 to an R26 I'll be 'missing out' if you know what I mean?

R26.

I have a standard 225, such a comfy car for cruising up and down the motorway etc. Pulls like a train, too.

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
The R26 will be comfier (and faster in 95% of situations), the Trophy will hold its value a bit better but is smaller and less refined. The R26 is a great little car (speaking from experience).

Personally if its a cruiser with tuning potential it'd have to be the R26, just be careful an in-law recently sold a 225 Meg that had cost him an arm and a leg to maintain (and still had knackered drive shafts), other than minor niggles theres very few serious issues with the mk3 RS Clios and theres a lot of choice. To save pennies you can get a non-r26 197 with the exact same spec (mine has everything bar the little plaque)

TT 225+
The R26 will be comfier (and faster in 95% of situations), the Trophy will hold its value a bit better but is smaller and less refined. The R26 is a great little car (speaking from experience).

Personally if its a cruiser with tuning potential it'd have to be the R26, just be careful an in-law recently sold a 225 Meg that had cost him an arm and a leg to maintain (and still had knackered drive shafts), other than minor niggles theres very few serious issues with the mk3 RS Clios and theres a lot of choice. To save pennies you can get a non-r26 197 with the exact same spec (mine has everything bar the little plaque)

yeah good point, I have heard the megs can be money pits if you're unlucky. Can't say ive heard the same about the 197. The trophy i know will hold its value better which is why it is an option, but I think its more likely going to be a 197 (R27) or R26

R26/200 Raider
I drove an R26 a few weeks ago and loved it. Had the price been right i would have handed the keys of my 197 over to the salesman. The car felt rapid, much quicker than my 197. For me they are excellent value for money. The Yellow ones look superb.

williams and trophy
id go r26. so easy to drive quickly. a bit too easy tho imho. the trophy's alright, and will hold value ok, not driven a 197, but have a 200, not overly impressed with any of them tho tbh.

Trophy #490
Convertible if you like, but either's good. ;)

Not really, and certainly not compared to the handling of a 182 Trophy/R26!

I've had both, and if it's a day-to-day proposition I'd without doubt have the R26. They're relatively comfortable (noticeably so after a Trophy) and pretty effortless. Its drive is very similar to a 182 Trophy; completely unfazed by most things you throw at it and its handling's sublime. It's just a great all round performer, and the driving position's infinitely better than the Clio.

If it's for a quick B-road blast I'd take the Trophy, though. There's just something about the way in which a Trophy gets down a challenging road. For me, it's still the best hot hatch ever made, and I've driven everything from an R26R to a Mini GP, yet still the Trophy's the best in my eyes.

Your shortlist of cars is great though, so whichever you choose you're not going to be disappointed.