ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Vs 172 Cup

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
I have never driven a Trophy but is there really that much difference handling wise between that and the original & only CUP.

Are there any track time comparisons between the two.

Re: Trophy Vs 172cup

I just find it hard to believe that they can impove that much of the 172CUP's handling.

Leon Cupra R 225

Fair point ^^

172 cup tho for me. It's better. :rasp:

* all trophy owners get the vicious replies at the ready*

Someone needs to edit the title to have a warning *this thread may contain handbags at 10 paces, dummys being spat out and toys being launched from the nearest pram*

Engles Mummy

A trophy will piss over a standard 172 cup round corners. A standard cup handles like a drunken race horse, it's sloppy, gives in when s**t gets rough and it the back comes out to easy.

A standard trophy handles corners very nicely as it has one of the best suspension setups you can get on a factory car. (Hot hatch)

VaVa

Exactly.

Cup was just a cheapo 172 - And in reality it wasn't that cheap - Renault took out everything that made the 172 the price it was people still bought the poor mans version for like £1500 less!! Renault must have been laughing all the way to the bank!

The Trophy was not just a cheapo version - It was a purpose built limited edition and is the car the Cup only wishes it was.

Trophy 'should' be better too, it costs double the 172 Cup... but a set of springs will stiffen the Cup up, Chris n Nic's handles amazing and its lighter than the Trophy can ever be, so there's advantages and disadvantages to both... Cup takes it in looks too... just (imo of course!). Red's a bit naff normally, only gets away with it because of the cool as fook wheels.

Laingo, what's the complex with the Cup, is it because it was cheaper to buy and holds just as good if not better value? ;) Given the choice I'd have a quicker car with less equipment, but a better driving experience over a slower, more equipped car... then again I'm used to driving a Williams! lol

Last edited:
  cock mobile.

PMSL.

This thread is going to get way out of control.

I've never driven a Trophy, but natural evolution says it should be better, if it isn't and I was a Trophy owner I would not be impressed.

Subway said:
A trophy will piss over a standard 172 cup round corners. A standard cup handles like a drunken race horse, it's sloppy, gives in when sh*t gets rough and it the back comes out to easy.

A standard trophy handles corners very nicely as it has one of the best suspension setups you can get on a factory car. (Hot hatch)

A standard CUP handles like a druken race house.:S

It's the best front wheel drive car I have ever driven,for the money I can't think of a better one.

Im sure standard for standard the CUP would'nt be that far behind the Trophy.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup

i doubt you would actually notice a difference between the trophy and cup, if you had brand new versions of each, cup would win cos of weight, trophy only has better shocks, but that is needed for the weight, and cos the original cup's shocks leak. Put the STIG in both and see what he can do, WRITE TO TOP GEAR

Engles Mummy

Well obviously you haven't driven many front wheel drive performance cars. Go drive there ITR, now threes a car which can handle like a race horse.

My old standard 1.2 handled better then my standard cup. I've had the cup now just over a year, I've taken it on many track days standard & many track days modified, I’ve driven a trophy on track a few times also. I'm not making s**t up; I know what I'm talking about. A cup round corners isn't as great as everyone seems to think, but my guess is you haven’t pushed it hard enough yet.

Adam

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Both very close but for me i like the look of the cup.
Im sure if you put 1500 quids worth of suspension on the cup it would be better still

ian

CUPCRAZY said:
...the original & only CUP.

You've already convinced yourself that you have the fastest bestest Clio ever made. Everything else is just going to be arguing with other peoples views.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that near the limits of the car and driver, the Trophy would slowly walk away from any other standard 2.0 Clio with the same driver, be it 172, 182, Cup or otherwise.

I haven't driven a Trophy so I dont really know what all the fuss is about. Yet.

Subway said:
Well obviously you haven't driven many front wheel drive performance cars. Go drive there ITR, now threes a car which can handle like a race horse.

My old standard 1.2 handled better then my standard cup. I've had the cup now just over a year, I've taken it on many track days standard & many track days modified, I’ve driven a trophy on track a few times also. I'm not making sh*t up; I know what I'm talking about. A cup round corners isn't as great as everyone seems to think, but my guess is you haven’t pushed it hard enough yet.

Adam

So all the write ups and reviews are wrong then and your right.

Who are you the STIG.

172, Tiguan

Subway said:
My old standard 1.2 handled better then my standard cup. I've had the cup now just over a year, I've taken it on many track days standard & many track days modified, I’ve driven a trophy on track a few times also. I'm not making sh*t up; I know what I'm talking about. A cup round corners isn't as great as everyone seems to think, but my guess is you haven’t pushed it hard enough yet.

Adam

LMFAO, thats almost as good as Stef's troll.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

you are forgetting that he has numerous years of driving experience under his belt!

CUPCRAZY said:
A standard CUP handles like a druken race house.:S

It's the best front wheel drive car I have ever driven,for the money I can't think of a better one.

Im sure standard for standard the CUP would'nt be that far behind the Trophy.

hmm... lol

i'd suggest you try driving a Williams or ITR and get back to us on that one. My 17poo on coilovers doesn't even hold a candle to my old Williams for cornering agility once I'd replaced all the suspension with new. In fact nothing I've driven comes close to a Willy or ITR.

LY 182

Here is a legend of the numpties that will post:

Ones that defend their car to the death
Ones that defend other people's cars to death
Ones that try every effort to show you that they know best.
Oh and the egotistical type that will try every effort to mention the least likely choice just to look cool.

My opinion in order, in standard form

Trophy
182 Cup
172 Cup 182FF
172 FF Phase 1 & 2

Edit: Forget that list though and learn to drive, that will make the biggest difference!

TimMB said:
Here is a legend of the numpties that will post:

Ones that defend their car to the death
Ones that defend other people's cars to death
Ones that try every effort to show you that they know best.
Oh and the egotistical type that will try every effort to mention the least likely choice just to look cool.

My opinion in order, in standard form

Trophy
182 Cup
172 Cup 182FF
172 FF Phase 1 & 2

Edit: Forget that list though and learn to drive, that will make the biggest difference!

I love the smell of irony in the afternoon. You must fit into category 3 then? ;) Just kidding :)

Tim, I'm sure you could make a generalised comment about any post made though... as all debates have been done before and can be deemed a futile exercise, so maybe everyone should just cease posting... you go first :clown: ;)

LY 182

Roy Munson said:
I love the smell of irony in the afternoon. You must fit into category 3 then? ;) Just kidding :)

Hey if this was irony, then 182 FF would be first.

I forgot to add as mine is Racing Blue I always come first. ;)

Edit
^^ After you...:D

why? the debate can be settled at any time, Cup is better because it's blue and red is a girls colour. There, Cup wins. Close the thread now please! ;)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

thejesus is just recycling all his old williams arguements.

Its blue therefore its better ;)

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

trophy is better stock for stock...end of really.
Interestingly (mabye) at the last brands day i thought the Trophy handled better than My H&Rd cup.....Tho i was told i was wrong by a few people.

I think every post is in some way recycled from something said in the past... no such thing as an original thread these days lol. Oh, and wait til I spray the 172 in 449... you wont be laughing then sonny!

actually I'll stick with silver... can get away with cleaning it less :rasp:

Revels, nowt wrong with old and cheap... (resists mum related joke... must.... try.....and stop..... my... self....)

Last edited: