ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Truth bout de cat pipes please

i have a j plate clio i would like to fit a de cat pipe but have read that because the car cannot pass the emisions test with it fitted they pretty much void your insurance and you get into some bother if you have one if the police pull you over. now when did it become law stating you had to have a cat. can i leagally have one without my insurance been void in case of any accident??

If you dont declare it on your insurance, it will invalidate the insurance.

As for the coppers pulling you over, how many coppers do you think know what a cat/de-cat looks like.

If it is J reg, than you can fit a de-cat legally anyway. Also should pass the emissions too on a MOT.

Just declare it to your insurance company and you will be fine.

Quote: Originally posted by epic on 10 August 2003

what year must you have one fitted by law?

You dont have to have one fitted at all. You just have to pass the emisions test. Which after J reg became very low and you really need a cat to pass it.

Paul

If registered after august 92 is when your car will most probably need a CAT to get it through the emmissions test...