ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tune_R Motorsport Tricolore Trophy Class F 172 for 2016.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
So my much loved class A 182 has now gone to its new home and should be back on the Tricolore grid in 2016.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984270.768720.jpg

This thread is for one of my new race cars. (New class A car thread still to come) this is primarily for class F in the Tricolore Trophy which is production based so limited modifications allowed only. It will also be available to hire with support in the series as my racing will take a back seat until my other car is finished. Obviously if this car is free I'll race this when I can.

The car itself I took in part ex for my other race car and was essentially a nice standard 53 plate 172 Cup with low mileage, perfect!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984232.320549.jpg

First things first was the sale of the turinis, I kept 3 out 4 sets of wheels from my other car so chucked a set of Pro race 1.2's on for now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984378.106722.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984396.718036.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984417.183126.jpg

Safety devices multipoint cage is on order eta middle of January. So main jobs for now are interior prep, wiring loom strip down etc.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984744.261878.jpg

Had an awful job to sort first though, heater matrix replacement, worst job in the world. Got the dash all stripped out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984963.887570.jpg

After an eternity got the heater unit out and the core changed. Stripped all the sound deadening out from behind there too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450985703.451509.jpg

Pretty much up to date, going to start stripping back the loom next and remove any other clips and brackets ready to fit the cage.

Have a mountain of bits ready to fit and as usual no corners will be cut. All new shocks, springs, every bush, ball joints arms and track rod ends, new discs, pads and lines, new engine mounts etc. have my old oil cooler, pms exhaust and rear arb to on along with the safety bits, battery cutoff, extinguisher, new seats mounts and harnesses are here too.
Shouldn't take much building once the cage is in so stay tuned. Hoping for it to be ready for the series launch day in March tbc.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Your old car was one of the best prepped cars I've seen Russ.
Look forward to seeing this build.....
Cheers Dave, to be fair there won't be anything fancy or ground breaking on this one, should be tidy though. I'll be back in something soon to give your 5 a run!
@Mash. Electrics wise it'll just be a careful tidy up, removing unused stuff and associated wiring as the fuse box/uch abs standard ecu will be staying.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Got some wiring done today, it's 75% complete. Everything behind the dash is done, airbag wiring removed, all redundant circuit wiring removed, audio, electric windows, mirrors, central locking and alarm all gone. Just finishing the rear loom which won't take long then a couple of bits to strip from the front end/under the bonnet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451163346.907676.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451163413.479350.jpg

Gave it a test run to check everything still worked and it would still start/run. It did/does so all good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451163475.355114.jpg

Once that's all done I can mount the battery and sort the wiring for the battery cutoff and extinguisher + a permanent feed for the transponder.

Basic stuff, but modified the ignition switch to remove the steering column lock to comply with msa regs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451163823.279615.jpg

Hopefully get a bit further on tomorrow.
Russ

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Got some wiring done today, it's 75% complete. Everything behind the dash is done, airbag wiring removed, all redundant circuit wiring removed, audio, electric windows, mirrors, central locking and alarm all gone. Just finishing the rear loom which won't take long then a couple of bits to strip from the front end/under the bonnet.
View attachment 143351
View attachment 143352

Gave it a test run to check everything still worked and it would still start/run. It did/does so all good.
View attachment 143353

Once that's all done I can mount the battery and sort the wiring for the battery cutoff and extinguisher + a permanent feed for the transponder.

Basic stuff, but modified the ignition switch to remove the steering column lock to comply with msa regs.
View attachment 143354

Russ
Looking good Russ I've been at it with the loom today pretty much removed the same as you, Airbag,Audio, all door wiring and central locking

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Good work, Id love to remove all that just for the simplicity reason but would 100% end up removing I shouldn't!

Did you follow a wiring diagram I take it?
Russ has done it all before remember, but I personally follo diagrams, worked for me. Find a device or connector then trace it all the way back to the end point. Test at the end for clarity!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Good work, Id love to remove all that just for the simplicity reason but would 100% end up removing I shouldn't!

Did you follow a wiring diagram I take it?
Like Tomo says you've got to have a logical approach, it's easy for me as I'm an electrical engineer by trade but if you're careful there's a lot wiring you can strip from the oe loom on a track/race car.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
It should also be noted that I've currently got a customers 197 cup here to fully prep for class F as well. Was meant to just be to finish off a few bits but it's turned into a full build from a road car. Might put a separate thread up for that.
Russ
View attachment 143273
Is that Paul's car? Thought a chap in Newcastle was doing all the work on it?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Is that Paul's car? Thought a chap in Newcastle was doing all the work on it?
It is. Paul's mate Glen was meant to be doing it from Revolution in Newcastle and I was just going to tidy the loom up and do the battery and cut off + extinguisher etc.
Glen has run out of time with work etc so I need to finish the whole thing, the only thing that's been done really is most of the interior has been stripped out, that's it.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
It is. Paul's mate Glen was meant to be doing it from Revolution in Newcastle and I was just going to tidy the loom up and do the battery and cut off + extinguisher etc.
Glen has run out of time with work etc so I need to finish the whole thing, the only thing that's been done really is most of the interior has been stripped out, that's it.
Russ
Where are you getting the cage from? And how much? I looked for a price from Safety a Devices, but they haven't come back to me after 3 requests!

WRX
Where are you getting the cage from? And how much? I looked for a price from Safety a Devices, but they haven't come back to me after 3 requests!
Have you spoken to Mark Fish directly Andrew? Was very helpful when I was getting fed up with the delay with mine from Custom Cages.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cage for my car is coming from
Mark Fish, safety devices bolt in with double door bars, rear 'X' and tunnel. brace. The safety devices cage for Paul's car came from Glen. Check Corby Motorsport for listed prices.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
Mark Fish, safety devices bolt in with double door bars, rear 'X' and tunnel. brace. The safety devices cage for Paul's car came from Glen. Check Corby Motorsport for listed prices.
Russ
Thanks Russ. Googled loads and didn't find them. I presume you are going for the 17 point one? There seems little point going for the cheaper one.

Renault Clio 172
Russ
I emailed them, but not had a response (twice....). I'll try calling in the new year and talk to the chaps at Corby too

172 Ph1
View attachment 143351
View attachment 143352

View attachment 143353

View attachment 143354

Russ

Hi Russ - liking your diet process on the loom - did you remove all necessary wires and cut back to the plugs on the UCH ?
Also the rear loom - have you taken the loom out all the way back to the multi plugs at each front door and then on to the UCH ?

Have you any diagrams to hand by any chance . I'm quite confident in doing the removing , just would be nice to see a schematic if one was available.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Russ. Googled loads and didn't find them. I presume you are going for the 17 point one? There seems little point going for the cheaper one.
Paul's one is the 'full' bolt in cage as used in the michelin cup road car series, guessing that's the 17 point one, not had a good look, very comprehensive anyway and looks time consuming to fit as the oe dash bar needs modified and it comes with plates to weld back on to it etc. will start a thread for Paul's car Andrew and you can see what's involved as we go along.
@barnesautos no diagrams I'm afraid no, they're pretty hard to come by even Renault techs don't have them. I did have some at one point but tbh you don't need them. Yeah all the wires cut back to the uch and fuse box. I've removed the big multi plug on the passenger side in front of the door as there's only 10 wires going through there now and I've replaced it with some smaller plugs so I can still disconnect the rear loom.
Russ

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Will be watching this, curious about tackling the loom!
I'm sure I heard custom cages had stopped trading/gone under

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Got all the wiring done now and it still works lol.
Got the battery and cut off installed yesterday too. All tucked away in the scuttle.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451489959.309512.jpg

Cutoff and extinguisher buttons mounted and wired.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451490112.573888.jpg

Extinguisher nozzle fitted and piped.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451490158.653198.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451490181.021857.jpg

Aerocatches have turned up so gonna try and fit them tomorrow along with the rest of the shell prep ready for the cage coming.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Couldnt be bothered to start scraping sound deadening off and taking brackets off today so decided to do the easy stuff first, fitting all the shiny bits.
Got the oil cooler fitted under the front bumper bar and tidied some bits up under the bonnet, removed the carbon canister and wiring.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451678618.476231.jpg

Still have the ecu to mount and an air filter/box to make.

Got the transponder fitted and working.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451678412.445199.jpg

So onto the easy stuff, or so I thought! Going through replacing all the front and rear suspension for new components including bushes, ball joints, arms and ends + shocks and springs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451678494.093470.jpg

The standard Renault top mounts, I'd forgot how epically sh1t they were! Much messing around to get them sorted with the new shocks and springs. Also camber bolts are god awful contraptions, hence why I modified the struts on my last build so I could use standard bolts but still adjust the camber. Unfortunately Class F says I can't change so in stuck with standard top mounts and camber bolts.

Managed to get one side done including re-bushing the standard wishbones with powerflex black bushes. Also new lemforder ball joints fitted as well.
Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451679119.734704.jpg

Stripped, degreased and cleaned up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451679171.530876.jpg

Fully built up, sleeves and bushes pressed in and ball joints on. No need to weld these in now like the previous ones.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451679243.526777.jpg

Upto date again, hopefully get the other side done tomorrow and get started on the rear.
Russ

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Russ what isolater are you using? And also what needs to be done to remove steering lock? I don't have a friendly scouser ;)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Russ what isolater are you using? And also what needs to be done to remove steering lock? I don't have a friendly scouser :wink:
Isolator is the armtech one mate, came from my other car, they're the only one I use now after having the cartek one fail on me.
You'll see when you take the ignition barrel out the 'pin' that sticks out when the key is removed. Take the shroud off the bottom, think it's just 2 screws and you can literally just cut the pin off, shroud back on and refit.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not done a lot as I've been too busy with Paul's 197. Had a delivery today though. No prizes for guessing what it is!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454523003.180092.jpg

Great service from Graham at @markfishy thanks.
My welder is going to fit it next weekend hopefully and I can get it all painted and built back up.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Had some spare time tonight to do a few bits, Paul's 197 has gone to have the interior painted so can crack on with the 172.
Wanted to get some unfinished jobs done under the bonnet so started of relocating and fixing the standard ecu in place. Decided it was neatest on the side of the strut tower and still allows access to everything else, fuse box, gearbox/gearbox mount etc.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455056981.658285.jpg

Needed to swap the engine and gearbox mounts over from my other car so did the gearbox one while mounting the ecu. As seems to be the norm the rear fixing on the standard mount had snapped off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455057058.536127.jpg

Other side next.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455057096.903415.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455057112.771317.jpg

That was pretty much it apart from sticking my induction hose on that turned up today. Will fit the filter when that arrives tomorrow.
Russ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455057224.651444.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455057239.832566.jpg

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
They're not solid and contain no spherical bearings they're still damped and bushing materials are allowed to be swapped for polyurethane. Doesn't say anything at all in the regs specially for engine/gearbox mounts and it's not like it's a performance improvement, it's a reliability improvement, they're actually heavier than standard too. Standard mounts don't last 2 minutes on a road car never mind a race car.
Russ
Russ I didn't think Production class were allowed solid engine mounts or did that change for this season?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Bonnet catches tonight, got the aero catches finished, much prefer doing them on fg/carbon panels than steel.
Got them measured up and marked out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229021.427021.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229052.642827.jpg

Hole cut on drivers side ready to fit
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229084.558623.jpg

Fitted
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229138.570694.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229164.390558.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229183.742363.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229204.621207.jpg

Got the extinguisher positioned and the holes drilled before it gets painted inside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229469.879233.jpg

The air filter turned up today from pipercross, er it's a bit big, it certainly won't be restrictive!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229302.417074.jpg

Some more bits from Nick at Pure Motorsport turned up, front and rear spacers. Also a stud kit and front and rear tow straps arrived aswell.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455229403.450431.jpg

Cage going in tomorrow/Saturday.
Russ.