ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo project!!!

R56 JCW
Chris it aint harsh mate, its fact, Ryan, if the turbo is kuput, i have no sympathy for you!!

My advice to you would have been take ya time, listen to ppl on here, or get someone with alot more knowledge to do it for you

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Hmm, maybe.

IIRC, it was £2k to fit the kit, on top of the Stage 2 kit itself.

Looking back now though, Ryan... would you still do it yourself?

Considering you'd have a guarantee with the labour, i'd seriously consider that £2k well spent!

Ah well, we live and learn. I hope you get it sorted dude

ValverInBits
I still can't beleive that you've managed to make a hole in braded oil hose, that stuff is really tough. Braded hose normally makes holes in other rubber hoses around it!

Seriously though, just watched that video again in the second one you can clearly hear significant top end wear then as you hold the revs up at -9secs (from end of vid) you can hear conrods rattling around on their big ends.

Options for repair? Since it's top and bottom end, I'd consider a new engine probably with new forged conrods (depending on condition) and transfer your pistons over. This cuts out any machining and is a sure fix provided new engine is kosha.

As for fitting it yourself, I think you were right too fit it, I know I would have done. I think you've done ok, but it's just the final details like hose routing away from abrasive parts (use of rape ties, hose clips etc...) that let you down. Live and learn etc

Last edited:
  Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
right big ends are fine iv had them off and no damage at all the turbo is fine too. 7 of the lifters have collapsed. As for me doing the job im still glad i did it coz fixing car has cost me nothing it was a burst hose on the oil cooler nothing to do with the conversion. As for rushing the job nick it took 2 weeks it takes k-tec 2 weeks to do the work so does that mean they rush it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
How have you checked the crank/crank journals though?

Better to be thorough mate, check them against the OE specs with a mic, to be sure

Take the bottom of the piston off car is in a mate garage in bits i will put pics up later

R56 JCW
As for rushing the job nick it took 2 weeks it takes k-tec 2 weeks to do the work so does that mean they rush it.

In respect of 2 weeks u doing it yes, K-tec doing it no, as they know what there doing, hence ppl know what they are doing. Im afraid on this occasion you dont Ryan

In respect of 2 weeks u doing it yes, K-tec doing it no, as they know what there doing, hence ppl know what they are doing. Im afraid on this occasion you dont Ryan
Right so what has the oil cooler got to do with me?? the line burst i dint make it.

M

mini-valver

Sounds like my Corsa when the little end ate the gudgeon pin, lol.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
ffs lay off people, the engine failing has nothing to do with his engine build skills in the slightest a hose on a oil cooler burst, if ktec did it and the cutomers oil cooler pipe burst do you think they would be repairing it atall? nice one, get it all back up together and keep us updated

R56 JCW
jst love ppl who comment on things like this, but have no idea about half of it, engine build lol, sorry ryan

Something I know and alot of others aswel but i wont say :)

looks like its sorted fingers crossed the exhaust cam hydraulic rocker arm has come off. no marks on cams etc and as said before the bottom end is ok. Will get loads of pics up of the progress.

A

ashy_gtt

looks like its sorted fingers crossed the exhaust cam hydraulic rocker arm has come off. no marks on cams etc and as said before the bottom end is ok. Will get loads of pics up of the progress.

Ryan, Don't kid yourself, you really should listen to some of the advice.

If you look at the facts here, you split an oil cooler pipe, depending on the size of the hole at 70mph (3500 rpm?, 3-4 bar oil pressure?) on the motorway it could of dumped 5l of oil out pretty quickly!! If there was 1l of oil in the sump when you emptied it that was probably just the oil thats run back into the sump after you knocked the engine off!! Also remember that the oil pump pickup isn't sucking off the bottom of the sump so the pump will suck air before the sump is completely empty.

That knocking sounds like bottom end to me and I've killed a few of those in my time, have you checked the mains aswell as the big ends?

If you think that lack of oil has cased a lifter to come off I really think you're cluching at straws!

BMW M5 & E36
Some very knowledgeable guys in here Ryan. Not doubting that you know what you're doing, but listen to the advice given rather than firing it right back at them in denial!

320d
Unfortunately, you need to listen to these guys. That noise is the bowels of the engine. Oil starvation will very quickly affect your crank journals/bearings. I'd check the turbo as well, the worst thing for a turbo is starvation. :(

I'd take the chance to break the engine down, re-grind the journals, hone the bores, replace bearings and check and double-check everything. Do it properly FTW.

Still, gutting to hear this dude, if you need an extra pair of hands, let me know! :D

+1 anything I can do to help Ryan i'm there, basically if you want anything lifting carrying etc or a lift somewhere give me a shout, always happy to give you a hand, gutted the project has goe sour.

cant start the car the solenoid has gone on starter motor its been bit funny for few months now. i dunno why people keep saying i'm not listening to others on here if i wasnt i wouldnt be checking the stuff. This is nothing to do with what iv done to car it was a faulty hose. I would say thanks for the help but looks like that will be wrong.

Had this put on 2 other forums and had no comments even half as bad as these. Think this might be one of the last times im on here. Just coz how i reply on here dont mean im not doing what others are saying.

R56 JCW
Bet the hose wouldnt have been faulty if everything was done properly. What other forums did u post on? Assuming these wernt Clio ones, at a guess one is the Zetec S one?? ahah what they know

If u would have spent an extra 2k on getting a proper job done, i gaurente you wouldnt have had 1 problem, instead of running a 230bhp rig up, sorry all the problems uve had, i wouldnt even dare to spend 5k on a turbo

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Bet the hose wouldnt have been faulty if everything was done properly. What other forums did u post on? Assuming these wernt Clio ones, at a guess one is the Zetec S one?? ahah what they know

If u would have spent an extra 2k on getting a proper job done, i gaurente you wouldnt have had 1 problem, instead of running a 230bhp rig up, sorry all the problems uve had, i wouldnt even dare to spend 5k on a turbo

OMG you are such a C*ck do you know that???? why you being such a c*nt to Ryan? Your attitude is not helping him at all, at least you could be constructive.

Hats off to Ryan for giving it his best shot and its just dam bad luck that pipe split. Wish you all the best luck on getting this sorted.

My conversion is 100% home built and 10k miles later its still going strong, sometimes you just need abit of luck with these projects. Just go take a look at Foxy's thread.

R56 JCW
OMG you are such a C*ck do you know that???? why you being such a c*nt to Ryan? Your attitude is not helping him at all, at least you could be constructive.

Hats off to Ryan for giving it his best shot and its just dam bad luck that pipe split. Wish you all the best luck on getting this sorted.

My conversion is 100% home built and 10k miles later its still going strong, sometimes you just need abit of luck with these projects. Just go take a look at Foxy's thread.

HAHAHAHA Quality

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
HAHAHAHA Quality

LOL, perhaps im getting alittle wound up by people comments, but just trying to stick up for Ryan.

I'd be gutted to spend 5k and then this happen, just give the guy some sympathy thats all im asking.

Sorry for my little rant lol :eek:

Black Gold Trophy
^I'm inclined to agree to be honest. Fair shout to Ryan for giving this a shot himself. Frankly speaking anyone would be very lucky if a big project like this is 100% problem free! When I took my corsa apart and rebuilt the engine, I had to take the whole lot out again a week later to replace a dodgy rear main crank seal that was leaking.
To be fair I cant think of a bigger waste of money than paying k-tec to do the conversion, I would either do it myself, or just buy a faster car.

R56 JCW
Fuel Slut, i aint having a go at Ryan, everyone is entitled to there opinion. Reason you have not had any problems with ur Valver is because its been properly done (took ur time etc)

As i said above I would not spend 5k on a conversion such as a turbo. Throttle bodies is the way forward

Ryan all im saying is its been rushed pal but u dont listen to others and alot of ppl will back me up on that

Last edited:
  clio 16V turbo
ryan nice project!!!! Nice CAR !!!!

sorry for its your money, so you decide how you spend it. it's your car you decide how fast you want to build it. i bet half of the people telling you you rushed the build did not even help you out with part of the 5K or with any work on the car but with only advice.

By Failing you will learn what to do better next time. Ryan get it sort out and have some boost in your life again.

guyz give the man a break !!!

cheers mate