ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo, Supercharger, I&C or ITB's?

182 FF
Hello guys, I've recently entered the Clio scene buying a 182 titanium with both cup packs. Since i was young i've always been into cars so naturally after i picked this one up I've mulled over the possible performance packages available to buy, and as i'm a new member i'm not sure which options give best overall performance, usability and cost effectiveness. The four options are; Turbo, Supercharger, I&C (induction and cams) or Throttle Bodies.
Personally, turbo is my favourite of them all and is what i'd like to run on my car when the wallet allows, but the packages available are between 230bhp at a cost of 3-3.5k or 280bhp at 4.5k+. I've never ran a car on this kind of setup before so it will be a first for me, is this kind of power healthy, useable and worth the money for a daily fastroad car?
Secondly, there is the supercharger option which i believe is roughly 3-4k, i've never been a fan of superchargers but do these provide a similar useable power over the turbo?
Thirdly, everyone's favourite; throttle bodies. I know a Jenvey package can be picked up for little over 2k, and that they provide good power with a relevant map. They're attractive as they're half the price of the first two and have a tremendous sound.
Lastly are cheap and cheerful cams and induction with the relevant map. Much cheaper than all above and from what i've heard they are good on the road, but i know this kinda thing will just tempt me to squeeze more power out of it hence looking at other options.

Apologies if there are any mistakes in this thread as this is all new to me and i'm no mechanic, but any pictures or advice given would be hugely appreciated! Which option would you choose? And have you done anything similar to this before? Pros cons horror stories?

SQ5
In all honesty if you've just bought it enjoy it for what it is for at least 6-12 months. Refresh all the suspension and brake parts before going down a heavy modification route.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Kind of the same thought process as me, really. But as above, plan ahead. My plan is to use Andy's stage one package @clioturbo next year, and until then just enjoy the car for what it is, and make any necessary future proof upgrades. Think it through, what seems most appealing to you for what you'll get out of it. I opted for the Stage one package because I want to retain a few aspects of a normal car, will low boost and very usable power without changing the internals of the engine. @Cub. posted a very in depth comment on my thread a few days ago, worth a read as Cub went down the Supercharger route himself. A lot of things to think about, and as others have mentioned, be prepared to fork out on other parts that fail over time due to boosty0.

182 FF
hello mate cheers for the advice, whats the price of the kit you're looking at? so far i've only seen the Engine Dynamics and KTEC kits, pretty much the same price for low boost. i did think about practicality with the car as it is only a daily toy so i can imagine throttle bodies have the advantage there. i'm just gonna see what happens in 6-8 months where the funds are, never know could get lucky on the lotto and go fully forged :p

Skoda Fabia VRS
The low boost package is £3000, drive in, drive out. The 'bang for your buck' is pretty sweet at that cost, Andy offers a brilliant package and many many people recommend him and praise his work. Take a look on http://www.clioturbo.co.uk/renault-servicing.html and scroll down to find the different packages, the also offer an itb's package for you to get a comparison. My whole view on this subject is the saving aspect, if you can put away £50 a week at least into savings, that's £1000 in 20 weeks time. If you up it slightly, in a years time you've got enough for the low boost package. I would love to go fully forged, but as I said I want to retain some normal aspects, and also don't want it turning into a mahoosive money pit.