ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turboing 16 Valve Lump

I have a second hand 16 valve (phase 1) lump and box, which i would like to strip and re-build to transplant into my Renault 5. I would like to increase the ccs to 2000 (or higher) fit low comp pistons, uprated gasket, cams, liners etc etc and turbo it. but i have seen lots of light pressure turbos on clios and 19s but wondered if anyone knew anything about upping the boost and maybe using a different ecu or throttle bodies.

Any advice greatly recieved.

Cheers Andy

Audi S3

No doubt somone will say it so ill do it

Id speak to bb performance tuning they prob tellu allu want to know unless somone here knows!

Matt

GSXR 600

what about http://www.fastchip.nlwww.fastchip.nl they sell turbo kits for about 2 grand, all you need to do is either fit it yourself or get someone else to do it. Other wise you could try K-tec racing, they may be a bit more flexiable in what they can do for you.

Lionel Richie

You probably could get more than that for less ££££ but it would go KABOOM!!!! BBs stuff is said to be bullet proof, not just "lets wack a turbo on it and pray!"

If you have a look at the parts list you get for £7500 youll see what i mean

just checked out the fastchip turbo conversion. it seems pretty comprehensive and i scheaper then the BB one!! the low pressure BB one is around 5k and this one has the same stuff for 3.5euros! think thats around £3K?

BMW 320d Sport

Yes of course the Fastchip one is cheaper - some of the parts are the basis of the BB turbo conversion. Except all the bits that you *dont* get with the Fastchip job, you *do* get with BB. There is really far too much to go into here, about whats needed to do a proper job of turbcharging your F7P. I recommend that you ring up BB now, ask them to send you their turbo conversion brochure, then youll understand why the BB job is more expensive and youll wonder why you ever thought the Fastchip kit was gonna be value for money. There is no rivalry between the two companies, as I said, BB have worked closely with Mr Fastchip and flown him over from Holland a few times to their workshops, because hes done the conversion before himself and is a wiz with the engine management required.

Its just that the BB conversion is a proper job, roll in with a standard valver, roll out with a giant killing machine that is just as reliable and driveable as a normal valver. The Fastchip job is for people who dont mind getting their hands very dirty and can get all the other bits they need custom fabricated. From the Fastchip website:

The Turbokit includes:

Garret T25 Turbocharger (new)
Exhaust manifold (new)
Thick head gasket up to 10 PSI boost
Bigger injectors (refurbished)
Oil lines (new)
Reprogrammed & Modified ECU (<A style="COLOR: #498ad8" href= "http://www.fastchip.nl/show.php?lang=en&action=RenaultClio16VTurbo#ECUUpicture/U)
Installation Manual
http://www.fastchip.nl/show.php?lang=en&action=TurboControlU color=#0000ffTurboControl/U (optional)
Price TurboKit EUR 3310,- incl. VAT.
Performance 190 - 200 BHP at 10 PSI Boost.

Sp that means you still need all the boost pipework and the chargecooler (or intercooler if you can find room!) Plus an oil cooler is essential Id say, then extras like dump valve etc.

GSXR 600

by the time youve added the cost of the charge cooler (600ish) and all the inlet pipework (300ish) and the cost of an exhaust (400ish) then the price to fit plus any extras, it doesnt work out much cheaper then the low pressure bb conversion. plus with bb you know a good company has done the work.

GSXR 600

AFAIK there included in the R19 turbo kit but not in the Clio kit, because in the Clio kit you get a inlet manifold adaptor.

from what i can see, if the intercooler, and boost pipes are included, it is similar to the BB low boost conversion apart from fitting

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

There are other companies (Iin europe) that do a high boost conversions, like Mele motorsport. I dont know about yourself but my Italian aint too good, so i couldnt get any info off them, they use a T3 and power is around 250-315bhp.

that sounds more like it, thats the kind of figure im looking for. anybody got a web address for them? think ive seen some of their work on another clio site which had twin engine williams on too!!!!! :eek:

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

yeah thats the one, they seem to have done a fair few cars on the continent. Do a search for them, i did eventually find it, as most of the links to it are dead but it was all Italian and not much about it at all. im sure the starting price is around 5000 euros, as for what you get for that i couldnt tell you.

here is e-mail from fastchip ive got re: big boost conv, am lickin my lips

Hello Andy,

Friday, January 24, 2003, 12:43:33 AM, you wrote:

&gt; Can you please send me information(s) on possible turbo conversions
&gt; for Renault 16 Valve, which I intend to transplant into my R5 GTT. I
&gt; would like as much power as possible, however would appreciate as much
&gt; info on diff conversions (turbos, ecus, pistons etc) you can possibly
&gt; send me

&gt; Many Thanks

Wow thats a lot of questions in one.

The stage 3 16V conversion delivers more than 240 BHP at the wheels. That is around 290 Engine HP. With this conversion youre looking at a power to weight ration from 1:2.9 . You will have a serious problem getting this amount of power on the road due to the light front end of the R5. If this conversion isnt enough for you. It can be upgraded with larger injectors and run 20 PSI boost. We havent developed a chip for it yet but this will give you around 350 Engine BHP. We have our own developed chip software, which allow us easy remapping of the 16v ECU.

The stage 3 conversion has a T28 Turbo and lowered Turbo pistons combined with a charge cooler.

--
Best regards,
Henk Dijkstra/Fastchip