ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twang/Crack When Turning

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate.

A new rack (assuming I could even get hold of one!) comes out at £676. I'd rather fancy my chances on a couple of bolts being replaced first! :smiley:

I just bought a 2nd hand one mate the time & also fitted uprated bushes while it was off for peace of mind.Should of done the bolts to at the time but didnt think.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Not a Clio but I was having a similar noise from my Mini (see my thread for full details) but it ended up being internal to the rack and solved with a £30 2nd hand one.

So while fingers crossed it's the rack bolts, it has potential to be something more still.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not a Clio but I was having a similar noise from my Mini (see my thread for full details) but it ended up being internal to the rack and solved with a £30 2nd hand one.

So while fingers crossed it's the rack bolts, it has potential to be something more still.

I think I might just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket replacement rack. KTEC are quoting £255+VAT and while that's not particularly cheap - it's a hell of a sight cheaper than the ultra-elusive Renault branded item.

If the rack wasn't so labour intensive to get to and replace - I think I'd wing it and try the bushes & bolts replacement first. But forking out a wad for labour when there's zero guarantee of fixing the issue, I'm kind of resigning myself to lubing-up and paying to get it replaced.

Fair dues to the 182 - nearly 13 years on and 150k+ miles. Things naturally wear out over time, I guess.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Changing the rack was a nightmare of a job that me & @Dr Jekyll did,even tho we was on a two poster ramp.The main problem we had was the actual pas pipe!.Such a long stressful day

Keep us updated on the out come mate & what choice you choose to do,may be worth changing the bolts to even if you get rack done,only a couple quid each & get it done all in one hit.

PH2 172
I think I might just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket replacement rack. KTEC are quoting £255+VAT and while that's not particularly cheap - it's a hell of a sight cheaper than the ultra-elusive Renault branded item.

If the rack wasn't so labour intensive to get to and replace - I think I'd wing it and try the bushes & bolts replacement first. But forking out a wad for labour when there's zero guarantee of fixing the issue, I'm kind of resigning myself to lubing-up and paying to get it replaced.

Fair dues to the 182 - nearly 13 years on and 150k+ miles. Things naturally wear out over time, I guess.

Shaftec supply an exchange rack, I`m not sure on current price, but was quoted £180 ish with vat a couple of years ago.
Other alternatives are a good used one from CS, or take the opportunity to go for an EPAS conversion.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Shaftec supply an exchange rack, I`m not sure on current price, but was quoted £180 ish with vat a couple of years ago.
Other alternatives are a good used one from CS, or take the opportunity to go for an EPAS conversion.

Thanks for that. Why is this one part of the Clios so vague in terms of manufacturers, part numbers and pricing?

I would have thought an RS steering rack is exactly that - something identical across all Mk2 Clios - be they phase 1 or 2.

I’d consider the EPAS conversion more perhaps, if I used it on track.

PH2 172
Thanks for that. Why is this one part of the Clios so vague in terms of manufacturers, part numbers and pricing?

I would have thought an RS steering rack is exactly that - something identical across all Mk2 Clios - be they phase 1 or 2.

I’d consider the EPAS conversion more perhaps, if I used it on track.

I cannot confirm PH1, but all ph2 172 & 182 have the SMI hydraulic power rack.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/steering-rack-manufacturer-indentification.659212/