ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TwentyValver Project Thread

ValverInBits
Thought I'd put up a thread and show people what I've been doing with my MK1 over the past few weeks.

a little over a year ago, I'd recently changed from a MK1 Clio 1.8 16v to a Ph2172. I was unhappy with the way the 172 handled. The extra power was great, but I thought the ultimate grip was a total let down compared to my Valver.

A mate suggested that I consider a turbo'd valver. I've never liked the idea that much, partly as I don't trust the gearboxes handling the power.

So eventually I decided I liked the idea of a VAG 1.8T 20v in a MK1.

Theres loads of advantages to the 20v - range of tuning parts, stronger gear box with a tighter shift, better designed engine mounts, oil and water feeds already in place for turbo, not to mention the creamy smooth torque curves most 20v setups create.

Disadvantages of the 20v idea:
Need to fabricate engine mounts
Cannot run OEM ECU without clocks, keys, key barrell, etc etc from original car - Qpeng might solve that but still quite costly.
Need to fab driveshafts
Need to chop and reweld subframe
It's not a cheap option, but then the alternatives arent either

Previous 20v Clios
The first one done was the clio TT by MATTBLACK. The first 20v MK1 was done by flan, who also helped adams_16v with his. So just to clarify.....it's not my idea! A lot of what I've done is a copy of flan's project.

First thing I did after some saving was buy a valver. I really wanted a white one, and I also fancied a 1992. That way when it came to MOT time, I wouldn't need a cat and the emissions test should be easy.

Picked up this from gloucester last year.

DSC02865.jpg

Next to my 172

Yes it's got yellow fog lights, and yes, I love em

The car isnt mint. The sills are fairly bad, and there is a section around the O/S rear window that will need a chop and weld due to rust. The arches are clean though. Don't worry, that ariel is coming off. Oh and the turbines are fooking MINT.

20v engine codes
The 1.8T 20v came in soooo many cars. Octavias, TTs, polo, golf, A3, A4, A6, sharan, passat, even the new A5s have a direct injection version of the 20v. There are LOADS of engine codes (like 20+). The best of the bunch IMO is the "AGU" code fitted to early Golf IV GTIs and A3s. It gets a big valve head, larger 20mm gudgeon pins, throttle body pickup on the other side, cable throttle, and a forged crank. So although only 150bhp from factory, it's one of the stronger ones.

I spent a while looking for my AGU, but in the end found one for reasonable money.
AGU_2.jpg

Engine_Code.jpg

Then waited around till Jan 09 when I had some holiday from uni to pull the valver engine out.

2.jpg

This Hub nut bent my breaker bar several times. But I gave it some hammer anger and it came out in the end.
3.jpg

Red coolant..... nice
6.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Looks a lot higher with no engine in there
16.jpg

Then there was a long frustrating break while I finished my year at uni.

20v Power :evil:
They come with different turbos
mine - 150bhp - K03 turbo - eg Golf MK4 gti
180bhp - K03s turbo - eg Ibiza cupra
210/225bhp - K04 turbo - Leon Curpa R, Audi TT

A K04 with mapping will top out at around 280bhp/280lbft. This sounds ideal for a clio. But a full K04 setup (inc manifold) is fairly expensive and I was struggling to find one.

In the end, put in a half arsed bid on a low mileage GT28RS on ebay......and won :eek:
For people who don't know turbos, a 28RS is capable of around 330-340bhp on these engines. I won't run that much, or anywhere near that at first......but we'll see.;)

I then found some brand new jabba conrods for cheap, and thought, f_ck it, I can always sell them on if I don't use them.

Gay/Pic***** photo.

CopyofP1000360.jpg

Next to OEM K03 turbo
P1000368.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

FINALLY I arrived home a few weeks ago from uni, and made a start...
Renault gear mech out. Won't be needing that.

P1000378.jpg

Started to strip down the engine for a trial fit. Biggest problem, was the driveshafts. They had just been cut by a breakers yard when the engine was originally pulled. VAG hold them in using Torx bolts.

P1000383.jpg

ALL Mine had siezed, fun times :mad:
The little b*****ds just wanted to round off, and worse still we (me and ben-B5 BDJ) couldnt hold the driveshaft still to get the bolts out, the engine would sooner turn over!

Some thinking time later, this happened

P1000386.jpg

Yes, I welded that there :approve: Rig.....

Then we had to beat each bolt with a hammer to shock it a bit and carefully ease it out.
Eventually:

P1000389.jpg

Then It was onto a trial fit
You can see the engine is sitting up on the left a little. This is where it's sat on the subframe

P1000397.jpg

P1000428.jpg

So that bit of subframe had to go

P1000436.jpg

I still chopped more out after this iirc, but you get the idea

P1000438.jpg

N/S Engine mount

The plan was to bolt a golf TDI N/S engine mount (stiffest mount) to the chassis leg of the clio, then fabricate an adapter to mate it to the lugs on the engine.

P1000442.jpg

Firstly I used some box section to create the box that bolts onto the gearbox lugs

P1000452.jpg

P1000453.jpg

With that in place I found I couldnt get 2nd or reverse :S So the grinder came out again

P1000460.jpg

P1000461.jpg

P1000463.jpg

Sorted.:D

Now I needed to bolt the VAG mount to the chassis leg. I decided that I couldnt safely just bolt it straight down, the chassis leg just wasnt wide enough. So this happened.

P1000500.jpg

P1000501.jpg

P1000502.jpg

P1000503.jpg

The 3mm plate reinforces the area a bit and makes a good platform for the mount.

Welded up

P1000513.jpg

Further weld was put on fixing the 3mm plate down. Then shaped the 3mm plate a touch with the grinder and coated in kurust for the min.

Then the adapter was finished off - pics further down

O/S engine mount

Take one standard VAG gearbox mount (99p off ebay)

P1000586.jpg

Bring the bolt holes in just a touch

P1000587.jpg

And bolt to clio using OEM bolts and bolt holes

P1000589.jpg

That'll do :approve:

Engine mount adapters (N/S on left)

P1000590.jpg

P1000593.jpg

I wasnt confident welding these up myself with my very small welder. So I took them to Stable Motorsport Fabrications in Towcester who lovingly stitched them up with TIG and powercoated them black.

P1000598.jpg

P1000600.jpg

Finally the engine was mounted (on two of three mounts)

P1000604.jpg

P1000607.jpg

It's currently sitting with no track rod ends, No ARB and brand new R19 wishbones. This is just to get it out the garage so I can pour a better floor surface onto the garage floor.
The wider track of the 19 wishbones with the standard valver shocks gives awesome chamber. :cool:

P1000603.jpg

How it stands atm waiting for the garage floor to 'cure' or whatever

P1000611.jpg

As for management. I have Emerald arriving in the post tommorrow morning. Can't wait :cool:

Next job is to fabricate the third engine mount. The dogbone/lower gearbox mount.
Then it'll be strengthening the subframe. Think I might get Stable Fabrications involved on that too.

That's all for now.

Mark

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
looks emense mate great work, will be keeping an eye on this

A4 Avant
Thats a great project, look forward to seeing it finished.

Do you have any mechanical knowledge or did think f**k it and just had a go?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
good work, hats off for giving it a go.

Are you going to strenghten the subframe where you removed a fair chunk? Looks a bit flimsy to me.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Loving, and I do mean LOVING the mk1's on this forum atm.

Keep it up! :D

BMW M5 & E36
About time mate! Seems ages back that you bought the car now.

I REALLY look forward to reading more :D

Edit. 5 stars to you sir, already.

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
gay engine

Friggin AWESOME turbo though, my personal favourite!! Which exh housing is it?
Sadly it's the .86 turbine. But beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully the top end will be a little sweeter to make up for the extra bit of lag. I know you don't like the engines. But I can't work out why :dapprove:.
Shame.....you were such a nice guy, and now this :dapprove:
;)

Do you have any mechanical knowledge or did think f**k it and just had a go?
My mechanical knowledge is all self taught. I'm doing a 4 year engineering degree, but that won't help with anything like this really.

Fappin awesome!
icon10.gif

How did you manage to keep this to yourself for 6 months?!
It was tough. a few know about it.

good work, hats off for giving it a go.

Are you going to strenghten the subframe where you removed a fair chunk? Looks a bit flimsy to me.
Yes absolutely. I might be contacting the same people that did the final welding on the engine mount adapters. There will be questions posted on here about how it needs to be strengthened though. I was talking to a mate about it the other day and realised that it might not need to be that strong up and down. As the wishbone is pin jointed in effect it mostly pushes and pulls outward on the subframe. The only up and down force is applied when the wishbone is at an angle. Hard to explain....but all will become clear.

much love whiteley for the ratings :)

ValverInBits
Photobucket is "doing a little work right now, your pic will be back soon". So I'd check back in a bit :)

On a side note. I'm completely broke, but I do just have savings left for a manifold. Anyone got experience 20v manifolds? My options list has been shrunk down to this ugly looking thing:
http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/2886/garrett-gt28-stage-1-underslung

JBS say they have put a fair amount of CFD work into that, but tbh, I think they are using COSMOS Flow-Works, which I've used, and it lies quite badly.

anyone recommend anything else? Don't think i've got room for a top mounted.

Photobucket is "doing a little work right now, your pic will be back soon". So I'd check back in a bit :)

On a side note. I'm completely broke, but I do just have savings left for a manifold. Anyone got experience 20v manifolds? My options list has been shrunk down to this ugly looking thing:
http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/2886/garrett-gt28-stage-1-underslung

JBS say they have put a fair amount of CFD work into that, but tbh, I think they are using COSMOS Flow-Works, which I've used, and it lies quite badly.

anyone recommend anything else? Don't think i've got room for a top mounted.

i used a full race top mounted fannimold on the TT towards the end gezza with a gt35 turbo...you'll have room fear none;)

forget JBS....there massive moneys...you wanna get on board with badger bill........AKA badger5 on here...hes god with the vag engines;)

ValverInBits
i used a full race top mounted fannimold on the TT towards the end gezza with a gt35 turbo...you'll have room fear none;)

forget JBS....there massive moneys...you wanna get on board with badger bill........AKA badger5 on here...hes god with the vag engines;)

I've had contact with Bill. He seems to do really nice top mounted manifolds that are really too far out of my price range (quoted around £950). I've got tops of £600 to spend really. Top mounted may fit.....my only worry is the scuttle drainage in the middle may foul the turbo, and I don't ideally want to take the grinder to that ASWELL!

The JBS one, is really a last resort. They had a cast one in the pipeline which looked a pretty nice design - under-slung T25 and looked fine. They have since decided that it won't go on sale for another 6+ months while they see how their OEM replacement manifolds do (who the f**k is gonna buy those???) :mad::mad:
I'll give bill another PM on SCN. See if he's got anything cheaper.

-----------

Emerald arrived today :cool:
Been sorting through the OEM wiring loom, and labelling up. Need to buy a new crank sensor from VAG if they are not too much as the plug on mine is proper fubared.
Pics when I've got more to report.

Glanza
firstly yellow fogs... you have issues mark.. :p

Also you should deffo fabricate the VAG clocks neatly into the dash.. would look epic.

As for the turbo... all well and good but you need a manifold and down pipe squire!!!

In reference to one of your disadvantages , oem ecu cannot be used without clocks etc, it is untrue. The standard 20v ecu can be unlocked for a reasonable sum of beer tokens and used with non oem clocks keys etc but then we would not have so much fun trying to blow it up on the oxford ring road :cool::cool::cool::cool:

As for the jbs manifolds mark you know my thoughts on those lot .....

Also what chatter valve are you planning on using ?

And derf those are genuine fia gt2 spec fogs ...

Glanza
also mark if you would like to use my car fettling facilities the current rate is 1 strongbow for everyday half day your car is here.