ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo 172

Ph1 172.
Any idea how much the little mk1 Twingos weigh?

edit: looks like my question might already have been answered.

Glad to see youve made a thread on here after I first saw it on RTOC quite some time ago - hope the many PM's over the past months have been helpful, glad its running!

original weight is booked at 790Kg, obviously the bigger engine, wheels and brakes will have upped that a bit, but I'd guess it'd come in at under 900Kg. That makes it a real heavyweight alongside my 5, but it's fine to drive to work, and I've no intention of stripping it.

Glad to see youve made a thread on here after I first saw it on RTOC quite some time ago - hope the many PM's over the past months have been helpful, glad its running!

Your help has been invaluable, as well as everyone else who's given advice and helped out with parts :)

ooh, btw, have you fitted your struts yet? If not can you measure the hole in the strut top, and the OD of the top mount where it sits under the inner wing? It's possible that they'd fit my car :D

When it came to making the Twingo front dampers fit the 172 hub carriers the first job was to thin down the 26mm thick clio items to the 23mm of the Twingo. I looked at the carriers for a while before finally making a jig to hold them so that I could machine them on my mill.
hub3small.jpg

when it came to it I was able to use the same jig to machine the dampers with 14mm holes in the correct position to both fit the carriers, and give a sensible camber angle. This involved a lot of dummy building, head scratching, and squinting. Strangely they came out pretty well.

While I was at it I fitted new wishbones, bushes, ball joints, steering arms and trackrod ends.

For the brakes I bought DS2500 pads, Brembo disks, and a set of goodridge hoses in Twingo fitment.

I couldn't find space for the brake pressure regulator at the rear of the car, so decided to fit it under the servo at the front, that being about the only space large enough that I could find.

brakeregulator.jpg

brakeregulator2.jpg

I ended up making up all new brake pipes in the end as nothing was quite standard any more.

So that was it, fully working brakes :D

OK, this thread has now caught up with real time, and what follows is today's fun...

I'm running out of space
sad.gif

I knocked up a bracket to hold the 172 rad onto the Twingo front panel from a bit of my old trailer tyre rack, fear not, it was pretty thin, and thus light
wink.gif

radiator.jpg

rad1.jpg

With the rad bolted on I tried to fit the front panel onto the car, first of all the water pipes were in the way, so I removed them and tried again. Then the clutch arm was hitting a fan support, snapped the support off and tried again. Then the fan was hitting the wiring support bracket on the gearbox, so I cut that off and tried again. Then the fan was hitting the gearbox - forkit, I removed the fan and tried again. It now pretty much fitted, although the rad hits the engine mount I made
sad2.gif
. I'll need to cut the bracket down when I get 5 minutes, but for now the rad just about fits, albeit without pipes or fan.

rad2.jpg

rad3.jpg

It looks like I'll be able to use the Twingo fan with a custom bracket, and maybe the pipes will fit with a cut and shut.

I've sorted out the throttle cable by rotating the throttle body 90deg and using the standard Twingo cable. Unfortunately the bracket does go right where I expected to put the intake pipe and filter...
throttle.jpg

The good news is that I can still close the bonnet
biggrin.gif

rad4.jpg

how fast is the progress on this?!?!?!?!

Would take me months lol

very slow, I didn't touch it between August and a few weeks ago, I pulled the engine out about a year ago. I'm hoping to be driving it next month, but it'll be touch and go, I've got not much free time, what with birthdays, christenings, holidays, and sundry family gatherings..

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
You could free alot of room up by relocating the battery to the boot and chopping out some more room for air filter housing. But you already though of this right?

You could free alot of room up by relocating the battery to the boot and chopping out some more room for air filter housing. But you already though of this right?

yeah, I thought about it, but space for a filter is the least of my problems. I might do it in the future, but I doubt it as I don't think it'll free up enough space to fit something like the V6 airbox, and thus just gives me more work for minimal benefit. :)

my priorities at the moment are to get the cooling system and fan working, then shorten the LH driveshaft, at which point I can drive it :D

LY R26
this is a brilliant little big project!

cant wait to see the end product

are you worried how the twingo driveshafts will hold up with the 172 powerplant?

Darren

what engine and box did it start out with? EDIT

1.2 8V

why not just use the original driveshafts?

I went through various options, and it'd certainly be easiest to have used the original uprights and driveshafts and then either use 172 brakes with caliper adaptor brackets, or GTT derived brakes, or brake upgrade. In the end I decided to go with the beefier 172 uprights, hubs, and bigger drive splines / bearings. I also get the split RH shaft, which may help with torquesteer. There was a slight drop off on my part, during my initial measurements it looked like the 172 shafts would be the right length, when it came to the final build the LH shaft is maybe 10mm too long. I'm taking 20mm out just in case I decide to drop my Gripper diff in....